macro newbie qns

Status
Not open for further replies.

F34r

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
im super newbie to macro.. if my qns has offended any macro pros here please forgive me :bsmilie:

given that there're 2 lens of equal focal length and maximum aprature but one is macro and another is not. what are the differences, pros/cons ?

i also noticed that most macro shots uses a high f value and still able to achieve that nice bokeh.. why is a higher f value used compared to non macro lens?

thanks!

d7t3

Oct 3, 2002
In the Shepherd's hands
F34r said:
given that there're 2 lens of equal focal length and maximum aprature but one is macro and another is not. what are the differences, pros/cons ?
The view is the same, except that a macro can keep focusing down to a small distance, and that's when you get a higher magnification. A non-macro may only focus to a longer minimum distance, so the largest subject size is not so big.

i also noticed that most macro shots uses a high f value and still able to achieve that nice bokeh.. why is a higher f value used compared to non macro lens?
Not really. The bokeh is also dependent on the focal distance, the closer the focus point, the less the depth of field. When people use high f-values, they are actually trying to get maximum depth of field otherwise not much of their macro photo will be focused.

cheesin

Dec 18, 2003
Jurong
Visit site

I'm also a macro newbie :) . May I know if flash is necessary when shooting macro?

When shooting landscape in daylight, is it necessary to use flash?

On the subject of DOF, correct me if I'm wrong:
Bigger Aperture (small F no.) = smaller DOF
Smaller Aperture (big F no.) = bigger DOF

d7t3

Oct 3, 2002
In the Shepherd's hands
cheesin said:
May I know if flash is necessary when shooting macro?
Not always. Flash may be required to give more light to:
allow use of smaller aperture
allow faster shutter speed
freeze subject motion
soften harsh shadows

When shooting landscape in daylight, is it necessary to use flash?
:confused: What for??

On the subject of DOF, correct me if I'm wrong:
Bigger Aperture (small F no.) = smaller DOF
Smaller Aperture (big F no.) = bigger DOF
That's correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom