Macro Lenses???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RxXxX

Sep 10, 2006
Which type of macro lenses should a starter go for?

Pardon my noob.. Is it supposed to be micro lens or macro lens? *blur*

currently im using a Nikon D80. using a 18-200mm lens

lets say insects and flowers. more towards flowers.

Thought for such close up shots, usually uses micro lens? Or I've got it wrong all these while? Jialat....

Depends on which system - Nikon calls it micro, canon calls it macro. They mean the same....
OIC. Thanks for the explanation. But still, micro and macro means two different perspective altogether... how they classified the similarily for the purpose of close up shots?

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

budget ?

$ <100 ,
get a +4 closeup filter to try out first with your 18-200,
this shld be more then enough for flowers

$500-$700
Tamron 90mm - good glass, not so good construction
or Nikon 60mm - good for flowers, not tele enough for insects

$>1k
Nikon 105 :thumbsup:
Sigma 150mm

oh. where can i get the filter from? and what if i want to get a lens that is both usable for the macro shots of flowers and insects? which lens should i go for then?

I would suggest the Nikon 105mm then. Otherwise can try the Tamron 90mm or the Sigma 75-300mm lor. They are cheaper and quality is pretty good.

oh. where can i get the filter from? and what if i want to get a lens that is both usable for the macro shots of flowers and insects? which lens should i go for then?

filters - check out the sticky thread on nikon price guide, all the shop there should sell , if they have stocks

lens for both flower and insects ,
2 popular lens
- Tamron 90mm - value for $
- Nikon 105mm - if budget allows, you would not regret this :)

len focal range determines the working distance ...
too short e.g. 60mm - easier to compose for flower, but not enough reach for insects
too long , e.g. 200mm - vice versa , difficult to compose for compose floral

suggest you try out first ... If your friend has ... borrow from them to try out

For flowers, a 60mm may be enough.

But for most insects, you'd need at least 90mm and above to get decent working distance to prevent spooking them. As mentioned by the others, do try to loan one to test before you commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.