Macro Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdie

Feb 14, 2002
i am interested in getting a macro lens below $200, any recommendations?

regards,
nerdie

Hmm.... did you mean a closeup/macro filter? I thought you are using a DC?

Originally posted by nerdie
i am interested in getting a macro lens below $200, any recommendations?

regards,
nerdie

Hv nvr heard of macro lens at such a low price. Think you must be refering to close-up filters

paiseh paiseh
filter..

Closeup filters are cheap. Should be less then $20. I bought a 58mm Hoya +4 recently for my fren for $13. If you want to get a macro filter (eg. Hoya +10) then I think it is more ex... i think $60+ but not too sure. But generally +10 is too much for insects as you will get too close to the subject, and a +4 is sufficient.

cool
thanks man
so should i get a nikon one instead of the hoya one?

regards,
nerdie

Nikon one is a 2-element piece, much more expensive but damn good quality.

There are 5T and 6T. I have the 6T which is essentially a +2.9, bought the 62mm at 80 I think.

Canon 250D and 500D are also 2-element but much more, last time I went Cathay ask, they dont carry stock, special order have to wait long long.... :(

Hoya' only 2-element is the +10, it's the only I know in the market at this mag ratio.

what do you mean by 2-element?

what do you mean by 2-element?

Briefly....two achromatic elements to correct chromatic aberrations.

In short, means lesser loss in quality. logically the more glass you add to the front, the higher the loss in quality. 2-element ones reduces this and almost lossless. Compare normal Hoya ones and a 2-element like Nikon of Canon and you will clearly the image quality difference. :)

:gbounce:

thanks!
then what other Nikon filters are there?

thanks!
then what other Nikon filters are there?

huh? u mean other than the close-ups? there are ND, Orange, UV...etc...

erm
no lenses sorry
like 1t 2t 3t 4t 5t, got such things?

and, what do you mean by "+2.9"
issit what pple call the dioptre rating?
and so, what does it mean?

so sorry, but i'm a newbie.
thanks for all your help darr.

regards,
nerdie:)

no prob at all, we all here to share :)
here's some primer on diopters (correct as I know it)

diopter is a measurement of lens magnification, a common optical rating also used in spectacle lenses.

There are 4 Nikon closeup lenses:
3T > +1.5, 52mm thread
4T > +2.9, 52mm thread
5T > +1.5, 62mm thread
6T > +2.9, 62mm thread

Once a closeup filter (diopter) is attached on to the lens, the focusing distance (at the lens infinity focus) will be determined by the diopter, regardless of the lens.

Hence, a +2.9 will have a focusing distance of 1000mm/2.9 = 334mm, a +1.5 will have a focusing distance of 1000mm/1.5 = 667mm. A +10, is then only 100mm....too close for most live subjects.

You can't use any diopter on any lens though. You have to make sure the focusing point is outside the lens, ie you obviously cannot use a +10 on a lens that is 30cm long, for example, coz the focusing point is inside the lens!

:gbounce:

ahhh
thanks

1) when you say focussing distance, issit measure from the lens within the camera, or from the filter that i attached, to the subject.

2) how much does a 3T 4T cost btw?

3) do you ffind your 5T 6T useful??

thanks again

nerdie

ahhh
thanks

1) when you say focussing distance, issit measure from the lens within the camera, or from the filter that i attached, to the subject.

2) how much does a 3T 4T cost btw?

3) do you ffind your 5T 6T useful??

thanks again

nerdie

1) The focusing distance is measured from the focal point(dunno term rite onot...heh), always somewhere in the middle of the lens (hence inside), one of the glass element is used for this purpose.

For example if the diopter is +3, the focusing distance will be 33cm, but the focal point of the original lens is somewhere 13cm from the front thread, so the object have to be at 20cm from the front thread to be in focus.

Because of this, a macro/close-up lens works best with a zoom lens, since the focusing ring does not work anymore the fine tuning is done by the zoom ring.

2) the 62mm ones (4T, 6T) cost the same, 52mm thread (3T, 5T) i dont know how much (guess shld be 70+)

3) YES! quality losss is near zero, I rather use my 135mm 2.8 Soft Focus or 28-135 IS than a dedicated macro lens ( a bit too expensive for the purpose) but think can consider the Sigma 180 3.5 EX.... I think I will get 5T soon to add to the power....

Status
Not open for further replies.