Macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesame_street98

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

Was wondering whats the diff of close up +4, +3, +2 lenses? :dunno:
Which one is good for a starter? any brand to recommend and whats the street price?

Thnx in advance for your help!

hi,
those you have mentioned are effectively Closeup filters. As for the diopter ratings, simply put, the higher the diopter, the shorter the focussing distance, meaning you can get closer to get the subject, w/o throwing it OOF. (Note, its very hard for focusing at high diopteric values)...

For a starter, if you are shooting insects, go straight to a +4 first.
It should suffice, +2 is sufficient if you are taking flora.

Please, please, do NOT get the +10 by Hoya.;) Not that its lousy, it is very restrictive and limiting. Rather than getting that, would recommend a +4,+4,+2 combination. Much more flexible.

Brand wise, cheap ones are Hoya, Tokina (haven seen them readily). These are single element glasses. Double element glasses, like the Nikon 6T, 5T,4T or the 250D, 500D are thought to be better, but personally have no experience with them. They are much expensive, hitting $100 and above.

If you are new to it, get Hoya +4 ($~15) and a +2 (~$10). It should be enough.

Regards

Thnx a lot for your help Wryer! It certainly helps me a lot..
I will rush down to get one (or a few ) I think ;p

MOre money spent.. haiz... I am getting addicted to photography :D

Originally posted by sesame_street98
Thnx a lot for your help Wryer! It certainly helps me a lot..
I will rush down to get one (or a few ) I think ;p

MOre money spent.. haiz... I am getting addicted to photography :D

No problem, which camera are you using?

don't need to rush, even if you rob one of the camera shops, you will need 2 helpers to carry those Hoya filters. ;p

I would say get a +4, +2 to start. To edit what i had said earlier, and to add to your headache, although its more flexible to have +4,+2,+4 stacked than +10, do note that stacking filters affects image quality. :)

don't need to rush, even if you rob one of the camera shops, you will need 2 helpers to carry those Hoya filters. ;p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I am into digi Photography now. Using my trusty ol' G2 at the moment. Looking for an SLR camera also :dunno:

I am always amazed by those ppl taking insects photos. How in the world to get the 'moment'? Must have spent the whole time watching them... ;p

Haha..you will be surprised. Insects sometimes pose for you, just open your eyes big big, those areas that are yucky and dirty and most prob the places where those exotic insects lie (whose theory? mine lah. ;p jk)

Take a look at my macros http://www.pbase.com/wowach/bg_1503_macros

And do you have an external flash? its pretty needed for macros. I have a 380EX plus omnibounce for sale if you want.. :) PM me for details

i recently bought the +10 macro close-up filter (hoya).
not too bad. At least i could capture the spider's leg hairs.
still dont' know whether it was a mistake to buy the +10 esp. after reading the posts that +4, +4 and +2 is a better combination.

Originally posted by mimeow
still dont' know whether it was a mistake to buy the +10 esp. after reading the posts that +4, +4 and +2 is a better combination.

As a newbie in macro shots, I was trying a +4, +4, +2 combi last time as compared to +10 filter. I think there is no great diff :dunno: maybe I got cockeye :p

But I guess why Wryer suggested buying the combi is because u can use +4 or +2 alone at times. Altho the quality supposedly degrades if more lenses added.

Can any macro expert confirms on this? :bwhat:

Mimeow, How much is your +10?

Originally posted by mimeow

tot the more filter u stack more distortion in pics?

the good point of having +4,+4,+2 so that u can adjust to use which one or stack them according to ur need

Originally posted by Wryer
Haha..you will be surprised. Insects sometimes pose for you, just open your eyes big big, those areas that are yucky and dirty and most prob the places where those exotic insects lie (whose theory? mine lah. ;p jk)

Take a look at my macros http://www.pbase.com/wowach/bg_1503_macros

And do you have an external flash? its pretty needed for macros. I have a 380EX plus omnibounce for sale if you want.. :) PM me for details

how come selling so fast?

hiz,
are you the guy who tied-buy with me for the flash? Can't really remember your nick. SorrY!

Well, went to the Nikon Film way. So the 380EX is sorta redundant for me already..

As to why i went film, lets not go into that. :)

Regards!

yah my name's johan.

so welcome to film. wat cam did u get anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.