Macro Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most important is that the dedicated macro lens allow you to have shorter minimum focusing distance and hence the larger image (magnification ratio) on your film/sensor.

Short minimum focusing distance cannot differentiate a macro lens truly as a WA lens can have a very short minimum focusing distance as well but the mag ratio is very small.

Normally a dedicated macro lens gives you up to 1:1 (life size) while the Canon M-PE 65mm can shoot up to 6:1.

:)

Ops. My bad! (I like 6)

magification ratio isn't equal to zoom.

most dedicated macro lenses are prime lens hence no zoom.

Zooming is just to get the far subject to fill your frame but magnification is to shoot somthing at real close distant so that the subject looks bigger in your viewfinder, just like your magnifier glass. Take your magnifier glass and check it out.

stjhie said:
I do not really get it. isn't magification of 5:1 same as 5x zoomed?
No the same, sumball explained that.

Magnification is an interesting concept. Imagine if you have a 5:1 mag ratio, you can shoot
a 0.7xo.46cm square on your 35mm film. When printed on a 12:8" paper, it will be additional
8.7 magnification. Now you effectively amplified a subject by 43.5 times.

(Am I right?)
:think:

sumball said:
Most important is that the dedicated macro lens allow you to have shorter minimum focusing distance and hence the larger image (magnification ratio) on your film/sensor.

Short minimum focusing distance cannot differentiate a macro lens truly as a WA lens can have a very short minimum focusing distance as well but the mag ratio is very small.

Normally a dedicated macro lens gives you up to 1:1 (life size) while the Canon M-PE 65mm can shoot up to 6:1.

:)

How much is this lens?

stjhie said:
Maybe I have to see through one. I'm still confused :( anyone has any website explanation?

actually, you'd get the same effect as zooming.

The only difference is that in the case of a normal lens, you'll hit a limit that you can't zoom in anymore. For normal lenses, you can't zoom until this close as shown. Apologies for bad example but the below is still not 1:1.

IMG_1194.jpg

As for the "magnification", it's just a constant terminology that people use similar to micro-scope where they say can magnify 50x, 100x etc. 1x simply means 1mm translate to 1mm on cam sensor and 5x means the image would be 5mm on your sensor.

Of course in photography when you print, there's also enlargement from your sensor size to printsize.

stjhie said:
Maybe I have to see through one. I'm still confused :( anyone has any website explanation?

R u using a Digital SLR? If yes, remove your lens. See the sensor (with curtain opened of course)? Now, at 1:1, an object 1cm in length will be 1 cm physically on your sensor. So as to say if your sensor is 2 cm in length, a 1cm object will cover half your sensor, thus will 1/2 of your final pic. So if u r wondering how an ant will appear at 1:1, just imagine it crawing on your sensor, thats about how big it can go at 1:1.

Thats my understanding of 1:1, i may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.