Macro Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarNikon

Nov 8, 2005
Rivervale
Hi there, I am looking for a dedicated macro lens. Then...saw this good deal at CP stating that it has the Tokina EMZ AF 100mm F3.5 on offer - only $299. It also says that it comes with a macro adaptor and able to take 1:1 :dunno:

ok I'm confused, is this a dedicated macro lens? or is it a normal lens with something stuck onto it to make it a macro lens? The latter type I am not interested in.

Please help. Thanks :)

DarNikon said:
Hi there, I am looking for a dedicated macro lens. Then...saw this good deal at CP stating that it has the Tokina EMZ AF 100mm F3.5 on offer - only $299. It also says that it comes with a macro adaptor and able to take 1:1 :dunno:

ok I'm confused, is this a dedicated macro lens? or is it a normal lens with something stuck onto it to make it a macro lens? The latter type I am not interested in.

Please help. Thanks :)

read some years back that Tokina has produced macro lens that gives 0.5x lifesize. Wonder if they are refering to that. If so, the macro adaptor must be used for converting it to a 1:1

Yeah, maybe it's one of those macro lenses that's not capable to capture at 1:1 ratio without using an adaptor.
Anyway, Tokina's EMZ line of lenses are their budget/consumer series.
It won't be as good/sharp as their AT-X series, that's for sure.
But you can always try it at the shop first, with and without the adaptor to see if the image quality is acceptable to you.

It appears like this is an older 1:2 magnification macro lens. Whilst it can be classified as a macro lens, it cannot bring you to 1:1 without an add-on filter or adaptor. I used to own an old Tokina ATX 100mm macro (internal focusing lens, i.e the front of the barrel does not extend when compared to the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm). Whilst it is of robust construction and a heavy duty lens, the inability to get to 1:1 becomes a disadvantage for shooting small insects.

Ya I got the Tokina AT-X M100AF PRO D AF 100mm f/2.8 Macro from CP too... Cant remember how much already...I like the lense, uses it on shooting close object & also on portrait. However I dislike the slow forcusing on low lighting & also the protrusion of the forcusing lense. (but seem like alot of such Macro lense also work this way).

I like the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro lense, but its jus too expensive and I cant use this lense on my other SLR camera bcos of its new technology(EF-S).

Tamron 90mm seem to be a good choice. ;p :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.