Macro Lens

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi bros,I would like to explore myself into the world of macro photography...(mostly insects)& would like u guys to recommend a lens to begin with...eg.wat particular brand & focal distance to begin with as I am totally noob to macro...Thanx a lot!:bigeyes:

Hi bros,I would like to explore myself into the world of macro photography...(mostly insects)& would like u guys to recommend a lens to begin with...eg.wat particular brand & focal distance to begin with as I am totally noob to macro...Thanx a lot!:bigeyes:

Please read the FAQ in the macro section. As for focal length, this will depend on what you want to shoot.

FYI, discussed to death. Search for "recommend macro lens".

Marcus7 said:

For insect macro, usually it's the longer the better. You can start off with a 90 or 100mm macro. Which brand to get depends on your budget.

TS... what is the brand of your camera. Without even telling us this basic info... how to you expect us to advise you anything that is very accurate.

Since we have no idea what is your camera brand, I think we can safely say that you do not want to use your brand's own macro lens for whatever reasons, so there is quite a number of lenses and brands that you can go into.

1) Tokina - 100mm f2.8 (it don't have FTM though)
2) Sigma - 105mm and 150mm
3) Tamron - 90mm and 180mm

or,

you can add extension tube and/or closeup filters like Canon 500D (not to be mistaken for the camera itself) and Raynox.

or,

get yourself a macro coupler and do some reverse lens shoot

or,

get yourself an adapter for you to stack lenses.

Also don't forget to get yourself a good external flash with diffuser too.

Once decided on the type of lens, and got it, let's go shooting together :bsmilie:

Hey Marcus,

Actually, may i know what lenses do you currently have at hand? There are many ways to shoot macro. Like for example, if you have a 50mm lens, you can reverse it get great macro shots with it. You can also use a set of extension tubes with kit lens and 50mm to get some macro shoots. If you use the extension tubes with a reverse 50mm, you will get this results

I am currently using a 105mm nikkor vr with either a set of extension tubes or raynox filter to get even closer to my subjects. Mainly because i like to shoot spiders and they are usually extremely small and if i really want to get good detail on them, i have to get really close.

Salticidae by Zeen., on Flickr

If you would like to just try out macro photography, then maybe your best bet would be to buy a set of extension tubes or Raynox filter.

But if you are a nature enthusiast and would definitely love macro, I would recommend you to buy 100mm L (canon) or 105mm VRii (Nikon). This 2 are what most people would recommend you to buy. However if your budget is slightly tight, you can always opt for the tamron 90mm.

That's only advice on the lens. For macro, lighting is actually even more critical then the lens! I hope this helps.

Oh...So sori abt tat,I am using Canon 60D...Thanks!

Ya thanx bro...it sure helps!

Please close the thread.Thank You!