Macro lens with 2x extenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hein

Jun 19, 2003
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hi All,

Anybody tried putting a 2x extender with any macro lens... I want to know what happen if I put a 2x extender with a 100mm macro lens with minimum focussing distance of 10mm(1:1)

1. Will I have a 1:1 at 20mm instead of 10mm??

2. Will I have a 2:1 at 10mm??

(2) is right. I'm not too sure about (1) though. Whatever happens, there will be greater magnification at the same focussing distance (min. focussing distance does not change with teleconverters mounted between lens and body)

mpenza said:
(2) is right. I'm not too sure about (1) though. Whatever happens, there will be greater magnification at the same focussing distance (min. focussing distance does not change with teleconverters mounted between lens and body)

Cool... So, a 100mm macro(f2.8) with 2x extender will kinda become a 200mm macro(f5.6), but with 2:1 magnification instead of 1:1.. Sounds interesting..

Not very sure..

But

I think Magnification dosen't change, working distance becomes longer, more comfortable ;)

junyang said:
Not very sure..

But

I think Magnification dosen't change, working distance becomes longer, more comfortable ;)

So, you are saying 1) is correct, but 2) is wrong.... I'll need to try on my own I guess....

junyang said:
Not very sure..

But

Nope. Magnification will be doubled and becomes 2X at the same min focusing distance (but definitely not 10mm in reality).

It has no difference like adding TC between the cam and extension tube, TC will also multiply the strength of the extension tube giving you higher magnification without affecting the minimum focusing distance.

My answer to the question: 1) Not sure, or I sometimes just dont bother much about the focusing distance. 2) True.

Sgt. Pepper said:
Nope. Magnification will be doubled and becomes 2X at the same min focusing distance (but definitely not 10mm in reality).

It has no difference like adding TC between the cam and extension tube, TC will also multiply the strength of the extension tube giving you higher magnification without affecting the minimum focusing distance.

My answer to the question: 1) Not sure, or I sometimes just dont bother much about the focusing distance. 2) True.

Well I suppose for (1), since u find 10cm too close, then it should not matter since adding an extension can only increase the minimum focus distance and not reduce it........ :D

TME said:
Well I suppose for (1), since u find 10cm too close, then it should not matter since adding an extension can only increase the minimum focus distance and not reduce it........ :D
Adding extension/TC will not increase your min focusing distance, it will remain the same. Or, may be you mean increase the focusing distance to attain the same magnification, then it's true.

Sgt. Pepper said:
Adding extension/TC will not increase your min focusing distance, it will remain the same. Or, may be you mean increase the focusing distance to attain the same magnification, then it's true.

yeah yeah.. sorry I mean for the same magnification, the focussing distance is now longer mah...... wasn't that his objective in the first place to add the extender cos the minimum distance was too close for comfort?

Thanks guys,

Although this topic was getting kinda confusing, :dunno: but at least, I managed to get a few points

If I put a 2x extender,

:thumbsup: I will have the same magnification at twice the distance as without the extender.

:thumbsup: I may be able to go as close to the object as without the extender, and my magnification will now be twice.

Hein said:
Thanks guys,

Although this topic was getting kinda confusing, :dunno: but at least, I managed to get a few points

If I put a 2x extender,

:thumbsup: I will have the same magnification at twice the distance as without the extender.

:thumbsup: I may be able to go as close to the object as without the extender, and my magnification will now be twice.

I think this should be about right...

Status
Not open for further replies.