Macro lens to decide: Canon 100 2.8 USM or Tamron 90 2.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
Seen some good reviews about the Tamron 90 2.8, but how does the Canon 100 2.8 performs? As it have USM, it's good also for normal non-macro shoots that need the AF speed....

can't say much about tamron. the 100 f/2.8 macro usm is sharp wide-open, produces images with good bokeh and usm is really fast for non-macro distances. I've also used it with Kenko Pro 1.4x tele and Olympus B300 mounted in front and was still able to achieve fast focus and obtain sharp images. The Tamron retails for <$600, while the Canon 100mm macro USM is around $1k.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=38677

The Tamron is a very good lens. In fact, it is very competitive even without the price difference, with the top grade manufacturers. Read the comparision here. The focusing accuracy was even better than the Canon USM lens:
"outstanding AF accuracy, better than Canon's lenses"

and

"Within the row of the lenses around 100 mm the Tamron 90 clearly topped all its competitors, remarkable further the security of the AF. Though the Canon in this comparison performed better than in the "fern test", it does not reach the Tamron."

The Tamron 90 can be gotten at less than $550 the last time I checked with John 3:16 about 3 weeks ago. For that price, it is unbeatable.

See thread in Fred Miranda on the same topic here.

one other difference is the Tamron 90mm extends quite a bit during focussing while the Canon 100mm has internal focussing, i.e. the length stays the same. Not a big problem unless the subject to be photographed could be affected by movement.

I have used Tamron. Build quality is excellent ... 3 years ago dropped and hit a piece of stone in Nepal Himalaya and still working perfectly until today. Sharpness is superb.

i hav a tamron90 and tried a EF100USM b4

tamron90 tends to hunt for subject under slightly dimmed lightings
AF can be quite useless as its only usable under good lighting

if u dun mind the slow/noisy/hunting AF
its a good buy for its price
btw the new DI version seems to be out...
not sure of price though

grey EF100USM can be bought at ard 800 actually

;)

haha... talk abt coincidence. i am also looking for similar lens for portraiture. originally was considering Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM II. but, after reading reviews, looks like i've an option of either the tamron or the sigma 105mm f2.8 EX Macro 1:1 Lens.

does anyone know abt the sigma lens? i've asked mscolor thru equote abt the 3 lens. so far no reply....

mpenza said:
Sigma also announced a new 105mm macro lens that's lighter than the previous incarnation.

Haha .... so now which one to choose?

Tamron 90Di Macro or Sigma 105Di Macro?

behyx said:
Seen some good reviews about the Tamron 90 2.8, but how does the Canon 100 2.8 performs? As it have USM, it's good also for normal non-macro shoots that need the AF speed....

Get the canon usm version. The AF speed is wow and very accurate! Seeing is believing. Good for portraiture too. ;)

Jeff said:
Get the canon usm version. The AF speed is wow and very accurate! Seeing is believing. Good for portraiture too. ;)

Of course the Canon is the better choice, provided the buyer is willing or can afford the price difference .... $600 vs $950.

Canonised said:
Of course the Canon is the better choice, provided the buyer is willing or can afford the price difference .... $600 vs $950.

buy used or grey... price can be ard 650-800

best is test the lenses
hehe... i can lend offer my tam90 for trying ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.