Macro lens recommendation

SnagIt

Aug 27, 2010
Hi all, I'm interested to get my very first macro lens. After some research, I narrow down the choices being:

1) Tamron 90mm
2) Sigma 150mm
3) Nikon 105VR micro
4) Sigma 105 mm

Anyone can give opinion which one is the best/value for money to buy?

*** side question: what are the disadvantages of using non-macro lens + extension tubes vs true macro lens?

I'm using D700

Thanks

Last edited:
So what makes you leave out the tamron 180mm and Tokina 100mm? Hmm value for money is a very subjective thing. If you want to save cost then the Tamron is the way to go, especially if you get it pre-owned. One suggestion would be to actually go down to a shop and test out and see which one feels the best for you.

For the Tamron 180mm, I don't it to be F3.5 (a bit slow) for non-macro shot. I didn't see much review about Tokina 100mm. Is 90-100m range too short for full frame?

SnagIt said:
For the Tamron 180mm, I don't it to be F3.5 (a bit slow) for non-macro shot. I didn't see much review about Tokina 100mm. Is 90-100m range too short for full frame?

Hmm for the tokina you can do search, a fair bit of reviews available. They are all 1:1 macro lenses so longer focal length won't give you any larger images. Longer lenses just give you more working distance but it will give you problems if you want to shoot handheld.

Generally, longer is better, especially true if you have a tripod setup. If you just starting to try out for fun, maybe you can get a raynox first. You can still use raynox on dedicated macro lens in case you worried abt waste spendings

i am also considering to get a macro lens on my d700 ... do i need a TC?

i dun think that f3.5 should b a concern.when takin marco shots, i believe 1 would normally dump up the aperature to F8 of even higher cos marco lense hv a very shallow DOF.
what type of shots r u taking?

105VR if you have the dough. Otherwise, the Tamron 90mm which I am using is no slouch also. But for use with portrait, then go for the Nikkor since Tamron seems to hunt a little (Not internal focusing) and is slower (no AFS)

If you don't mind buying pre-owned lens and not having VR, you could also consider a Micro Nikkor 105 2.8 AFD lens. It could auto-focus on your D700 (maybe a bit slower and noisier than the AFS version but most people do not use AF in Macro anyway). Most of them go for S$500-650 range in CS's B&S section (if am not mistaken, a new Micro Nikkor 105 AFS costs twice that much). So you still get a Nikkor lens and if you change your mind about doing Macro later, you could most likely still dispose the lens at the same price if you take good care of it (which you must do anyway whichever lens you buy).

But if you have the money to spend and in a rush to buy, I'd say go for Micro Nikkor 105 AFS VR.

There are other practical reasons to consider the VR version. But ppl commented that the AFD version is sharper.

Thanks all for your input. Really appreciate it. I eventually went with the Sigma 150mm one. 90mm a bit short on my cam. The lens is very sharp! These are a few shots I took with the lens today:

5698966113_710549fb0a_b_d.jpg

5698966765_14cf648444_b.jpg

5699541236_407a08bc26_b_d.jpg

congrats on your new lens. very sharp indeed! but i suggest you move the pics to the gallery section before the mods see this.

congrats on your new lens. very sharp indeed! but i suggest you move the pics to the gallery section before the mods see this.

got it bro. I don't intend to post these shots. This is just to help anyone in similar situation only

i suggest posting a link instead. can you please pm me how much you got it, and from which shop? Thanks in advance ;)

Nice pic... I'm also wanting to get a macro lens... How much did you get it for bro?

Nice pic... I'm also wanting to get a macro lens... How much did you get it for bro?

Hi. I got it from Alan photo sim lim square $1091. I checked some shops at funan but they dun have stock so went to sim lim.