Macro Lens for Food Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ishoot

Jul 29, 2006
East
I just acquired a Canon 350D and looking for a lens that is good for Food Pics. I really like close ups and a shallow DOF.

I was recommended the Canon 60mm f2.8. Can you all please advise?

You can also look at the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro or the Canon 100mm Macro USM

60mm +/- would be better since food is pretty big and you don really need the working distance of 90mm+ macro lens

ExplorerZ said:
60mm +/- would be better since food is pretty big and you don really need the working distance of 90mm+ macro lens

I fully agree. I am a working professional who shoot food and food products. My working lens is a Nikkor 60mm Micro f2.8 AFD. The Tamron 90mm is just too long, thus impractical for such tasks.

ishoot said:
I just acquired a Canon 350D and looking for a lens that is good for Food Pics. I really like close ups and a shallow DOF.

I was recommended the Canon 60mm f2.8. Can you all please advise?

you can also consider using a wider angle lens for food pics. i personally like using my 17-35 for a very different perspective to food.

scubasimon said:
you can also consider using a wider angle lens for food pics. i personally like using my 17-35 for a very different perspective to food.

This is a good lens to use too. I have this lens also, but I used the 60mm more because my clients prefer the traditional look (short DOF selective focus). Sometimes it is not what you wants but who pays your bills.

too shallow also hard...for me, i use the 24-70mm2.8

see food photography in my website

Thanks for your inputs.

My current lens is a EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5. The macro distance is 0.5m.

Would a 60mm f2.8 lens make a big difference to my food pics?

Currently I find that the DOF at f4.5 is already quite shallow and frequently have to shoot at f6.0.

Can I ask the expert food photographers what fstop they usually shoot at? Or is this dependent on the lens used?

Maybe top food photogs use a VIEW camera.
Lens is whatever they choose .. Rodenstock or Schneider or Zeiss or Nikon or Fuji.....

ishoot said:
Thanks for your inputs.

My current lens is a EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5. The macro distance is 0.5m.

Would a 60mm f2.8 lens make a big difference to my food pics?

Currently I find that the DOF at f4.5 is already quite shallow and frequently have to shoot at f6.0.

Can I ask the expert food photographers what fstop they usually shoot at? Or is this dependent on the lens used?

Perhaps you could try a tilt/shift lens? It would give you ultimate control over your DOF. If you want to get one cheaply you can try looking for a Hartblei Super rotator. If you have the budget perhaps a canon 45/2.8 tilt/shift would serve you well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.