Macro Lens for Food Pics


Status
Not open for further replies.

ishoot

New Member
Jul 29, 2006
102
0
0
East
#1
I just acquired a Canon 350D and looking for a lens that is good for Food Pics. I really like close ups and a shallow DOF.

I was recommended the Canon 60mm f2.8. Can you all please advise?
 

midicity

Senior Member
Mar 14, 2006
695
0
16
#2
You can also look at the Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro or the Canon 100mm Macro USM
 

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
3,068
0
0
52
#4
ExplorerZ said:
60mm +/- would be better since food is pretty big and you don really need the working distance of 90mm+ macro lens
I fully agree. I am a working professional who shoot food and food products. My working lens is a Nikkor 60mm Micro f2.8 AFD. The Tamron 90mm is just too long, thus impractical for such tasks.
 

Sep 14, 2004
399
0
0
Holland Village, Singapore
#5
ishoot said:
I just acquired a Canon 350D and looking for a lens that is good for Food Pics. I really like close ups and a shallow DOF.

I was recommended the Canon 60mm f2.8. Can you all please advise?
you can also consider using a wider angle lens for food pics. i personally like using my 17-35 for a very different perspective to food.
 

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
3,068
0
0
52
#6
scubasimon said:
you can also consider using a wider angle lens for food pics. i personally like using my 17-35 for a very different perspective to food.

This is a good lens to use too. I have this lens also, but I used the 60mm more because my clients prefer the traditional look (short DOF selective focus). Sometimes it is not what you wants but who pays your bills.
 

ishoot

New Member
Jul 29, 2006
102
0
0
East
#10
Thanks for your inputs.

My current lens is a EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5. The macro distance is 0.5m.

Would a 60mm f2.8 lens make a big difference to my food pics?

Currently I find that the DOF at f4.5 is already quite shallow and frequently have to shoot at f6.0.

Can I ask the expert food photographers what fstop they usually shoot at? Or is this dependent on the lens used?
 

ricohflex

Senior Member
Feb 24, 2005
3,353
8
38
sing
#11
Maybe top food photogs use a VIEW camera.
Lens is whatever they choose .. Rodenstock or Schneider or Zeiss or Nikon or Fuji.....
 

Stoned

Senior Member
May 7, 2004
4,378
0
0
31
Changi
www.photo.net
#12
ishoot said:
Thanks for your inputs.

My current lens is a EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5. The macro distance is 0.5m.

Would a 60mm f2.8 lens make a big difference to my food pics?

Currently I find that the DOF at f4.5 is already quite shallow and frequently have to shoot at f6.0.

Can I ask the expert food photographers what fstop they usually shoot at? Or is this dependent on the lens used?
Perhaps you could try a tilt/shift lens? It would give you ultimate control over your DOF. If you want to get one cheaply you can try looking for a Hartblei Super rotator. If you have the budget perhaps a canon 45/2.8 tilt/shift would serve you well too.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom