macro lens for EPL1

photographynoob

May 12, 2009
Hi all,

would just like to ask the pricing for the macro lens for EPL1.

thanks! :)

You know if you have a pancake lens, you can simply turn it over and shoot macro with it?? Now need to find if there are any places selling reverse mount. You can only do this if your camera can shoot without lens.

You know if you have a pancake lens, you can simply turn it over and shoot macro with it?? Now need to find if there are any places selling reverse mount. You can only do this if your camera can shoot without lens.

How to shoot without lens? :dunno: Anyway u can get a Raynox DCR250 macro filter at $125. Widely available now. But if not wrong u need a step up adapter to attach to ur kit lens.

Pls see this thread as it has been asked many times
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714948

Last edited:
What I meant was for that trick to work, your camera must support triggering the shutter without a lens attach. Ep2 can do this. The reason is because you will be using your pancake lens "upside down" hence there will be no contacts on lens mount. Don't know if I'm clear enough.

Ask Uncle James! He used EPL1 to shoot macro. And if you don't know who uncle James is, ask Elite77 :D. Just kidding, go to "Macros and Close-ups" and look for the nick starting with "james".

There are many micro/macro lens out there..nearly all will fit your m4/3 camera with adapters...For outdoor work, If you have plenty of cash, get the Sigma 150 macro in 4/3 mount (you will need a 4/3 to M4/3 adptr)...I just use a Micro Nikkor 55 with adpter on my E-pl...works like a charm! Chk my blog here for a pic...http://snakephoto.blogspot.com/2010/06/55mm-micro-nikkor-on-olympus-e-pl1.html

Last edited:
You know if you have a pancake lens, you can simply turn it over and shoot macro with it?? ... You can only do this if your camera can shoot without lens.

How to shoot without lens?

What I meant was for that trick to work, your camera must support triggering the shutter without a lens attach. Ep2 can do this. The reason is because you will be using your pancake lens "upside down" hence there will be no contacts on lens mount. Don't know if I'm clear enough.

In case it is not clear enough, an ordinary lens can be used to shoot macro by turning it around. Detach your lens from the camera, remove all filters if applicable, and point the lens backwards. The part that usually connects to your camera faces outwards now. If you don't have an adaptor ring, you can just hold the lens in front of your camera with your hand.

In a very simplified explanation, this lets you shoot macro with a very thin DOF. However, you should shoot in manual because the camera will have metering problems without the lens attached. Also, there is no more autofocus, since the lens is not attached to the camera. Focus is acheived by moving the camera closer to or further from whatever you're trying to take.

Hope this helps.

http://digital-photography-school.com/reverse-mounting-your-prime-lenses-for-affordable-macro-photography

This might help too. Have fun!

Very good info has been given already but let me just pitch in my two cents worth. I am new to m43 but has been shooting macro with all kinds of combinations on my 43 cameras. For life size and larger than life size shooting e.g. spiders with a cheap solution I tend toward reversing a 50mm or 40mm manual focus lens. This gives a very light weight combination so it is ideal for handheld with the m43 shooting live view assuming the ambience is not too bright to wash out the LCD. Move in and out till you find focus and snap away. I had a big sharp modern macro lens too but try to use that in the field without tripod is like working out in an outdoor gym. Besides it is very cumbersome, better suit stationary or near stationary objects. I have excess 40mm and 50mm manual focus lens if you want to buy. PM me. : ) ehktang