Macro lens for 50D

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsnapz

Dec 28, 2009
Greetings all!! I juz got a Canon 50D with 18-200 kit lens. Is my lens good enough to take macro photography?(Macro shot on insect) or sholid I buy another lens? I am a noobie in photography.

Tks in advance

no your kit lens won't get your close enough for insect macro shots.
get a macro lens sucha s the canon 100mm f/2.8 macro usm, or the tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro.
if u are on a budget, can consider getting a raynox 250, its a closeup filter that lets u get very close to your subject, alternatively u can consider a set of kenko extension tubes as well.

Tks for your advice, anyone knows where can I get good price buying Raynox 250?

Tks for your links 2evans. I will have a good read and try to understand it

Hold your horses! Your 18-200mm cannot support the Raynox 250 as it's diameter is 72mm where Raynox 250 attachment is only for 52mm to 67mm diameter only.

If you only have the 18-200mm lens and you want an affordable macro setup, I suggest that you get a 50mm f1.8 and attach Raynox 250 to it. If you have more budget, you can get either the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM macro lens or the newer Canon EF 100mm f2.8L HIS USM macro lens or Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens.

Hold your horses! Your 18-200mm cannot support the Raynox 250 as it's diameter is 72mm where Raynox 250 attachment is only for 52mm to 67mm diameter only.

If you only have the 18-200mm lens and you want an affordable macro setup, I suggest that you get a 50mm f1.8 and attach Raynox 250 to it. If you have more budget, you can get either the Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM macro lens or the newer Canon EF 100mm f2.8L HIS USM macro lens or Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens.

Opp...almost give wrong info...paiseh :embrass:

novjoe, u're the man..:thumbsup:

opps!, din know it was 72mm as well =x. lucky NovJoe spotted it

I would recommend a Hoya close up filter set , Just screw it on and you will get decent entry level macro =) Its around 60 bucks a set depending on your diameter . Please do correct me if i got the pricing wrong heh .

Once you find that the IQ of the filter doesnt satisfy you anymore , you will know its time to get a macro lens ;)

Welcome to CS :) Ya, pls read up on the relevant section of your interest & from there you'll get the idea of what you want to do ;)

Tks bros for all the inputs, I have been scouring the internet and Raynox website fo more info.

Tks NovJoe for your clarification.

Will even try the suggestion of Atarandas for a close up filter also.

also do note by using closeup filters or extension tubes, u have very limited working distance between the lens and your subject.
borrow from a friend or head to a shop to try it out if it suits u

Tks for your pointers wdEvA.

Status
Not open for further replies.