Macro Lens Alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alant

Oct 15, 2004
Hi may I know other going for macro lens are there any other alternatives? For example, which is better extension tubes or reverse ring? And what are the pros and cons? Thanks.

Thanks pal. Will search & check in the future.

Hi, I have done some reading. Looks like will give extension tube a try first. May I know is there any particular brand that is better known for extension tubes? And what's the price range like? Or can get from T**go online store?

Just realised price difference can be quite big. For example a teleplus extension tube set can cost around $180 for nikon mount and those from T**go cost around $30 for a set. Wonder why the big difference in price? Brand? No auto-focus? No metering? Or? Thought no lens elements so should be cheaper? Thanks.

Just realised price difference can be quite big. For example a teleplus extension tube set can cost around $180 for nikon mount and those from T**go cost around $30 for a set. Wonder why the big difference in price? Brand? No auto-focus? No metering? Or? Thought no lens elements so should be cheaper? Thanks.

Extension tubes come in "AF" and "non-AF" ... the Teleplus or Kenko ones are probably AF version. There are the generic tubes which can be purchased off the web for as little as US$15. But they will render your lens to manual mode. Not a really an issue if the camer you intend to use it for has LiveView.

Cheapest way to convert a 'normal' lens is to use non-AF extension tubes with a close-up filter. Can be done with under $60 I as far as I know. (that is assuming you have only 1 lens to play with, else can resort to reverse mounting of a wide lens onto the primary lens).

I would recommend telelpus, the main advantage is the metering.
Some might argue about trial and error shooting, it really up to you,
As without metering, more trial and error will be needed if you trying to experiment with flash.

For me, i focus into nature macro-photography, it is a ever changing enviroment, hence less room for error.

Thanks for the info KangS & Leong23.

Leong23 may I know which model from Teleplus should I go for? Or is there only one model?

Thanks for the info KangS & Leong23.

Leong23 may I know which model from Teleplus should I go for? Or is there only one model?

For set, there should be only one that consist 11mm, 20mm & 36mm.
For individual, 12mm or 25mm.

I would suggust to buy the set.

well if yor doing macro, manual focusing is the way to go, so just get the cheap set.

ill warn you tho, its not easy lol

well if yor doing macro, manual focusing is the way to go, so just get the cheap set.

ill warn you tho, its not easy lol

Manual focusing is the way to go, but not manual metering. :)
Get a good set (only $180), it will able to last you almost forever.

Nothing is easy, just like nothing is impossible.

Thanks for the feedback & advise pals.

Any more comments are most welcome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.