Macro help needed!! :)

@55mm you need to be around 4" away from the subject and while you shorten your FL then your FD will become shorter as well. That's the good thing with reversed lens, you can get the magnification you need (about 4:1 max on 18-55mm lens) which a dedicated macro lens alone (1:1) cannot provide unless you attach an ET or a diopter (some use teleconverter). But the drawback is you cannot take photos of skittish and big subject.
Most of my shots are never cropped and were taken with 18-55 kit lens...

I tried attaching a reverse len adapter to my camera (D5000) with my kit len 18-55mm. All i see is blur image through my viewfinder. I can't manual focus. I set the focal length to 55mm and I have to be very close to the subject to get the shoot. It seem to be quite tough to get those shots that you have taken :( Probably you would want to advise me on the tip of using a reverse len method for macro shot. :)

For 55mm, you will definitely be pretty close to the subject when compared to 100mm and 200mm lens.

Yup, in the end, I've decided to drop the idea of reverse len macro method.

Seriously, macro is not as easy as you think. Many a times you have to manually get the right focus and it only may be a hairline shift which takes a lot of patience ;)

I tried attaching a reverse len adapter to my camera (D5000) with my kit len 18-55mm. All i see is blur image through my viewfinder. I can't manual focus. I set the focal length to 55mm and I have to be very close to the subject to get the shoot. It seem to be quite tough to get those shots that you have taken :( Probably you would want to advise me on the tip of using a reverse len method for macro shot. :)

If you see only blur then that means you did not meet the required focus distance. Manual focusing on this technique is moving back and forth. MACRO Photography is really tough and many of my friends who tried but have no passion just quit. It's really frustrating in the beginning especially if you cannot get good, sharp & well lighted photos.
You may try dedicated macro lens but I suggest you borrow a lens first to see for yourself. You might end up buying expensive dedicated macro lens but will not enjoy macro photography coz its really not like a walk in the park.
Just my two cents bro!

Last edited: