Macro flowers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDavis

Mar 15, 2004
Bedok
2 new shots this morning while resting at home, went to the small little HDB garden (Errrr...playground ba?), experiment these Macro shots after much learning from tchuanye:

MacroFlower02.jpg

MacroFlower01.jpg

Comments are welcome! :sweat:

Nice colour! Like the first one. Any post processing or is it the 'bokeh' is comparable to dslr liao! Wondering what would the outcome if we use 9-area-focusing. :dunno:

good effort. but still abit soft? at least the 1st photo look soft on me.

sunkist said:
good effort. but still abit soft? at least the 1st photo look soft on me.

the first one indeed is soft. It was taken hand held, with rather strong wind blowing the flowers.

The second photo taken using tripod.

No other post processing done except re-sizing.

JimDavis said:
the first one indeed is soft. It was taken hand held, with rather strong wind blowing the flowers.

The second photo taken using tripod.

No other post processing done except re-sizing.

Not bad for first try.
Are you using the new +4 close up len ?
What's the working distance ?

if the 1st pix is taken in that condition. U have a steady hand!!! bro!

Howdy said:
Not bad for first try.
Are you using the new +4 close up len ?
What's the working distance ?

Nope. I am using my 2-in-1 lens (Macro+Wide angle).

When using this lens, I do not really need to worry about working distance. In the second photo, the lens in fact already touched the front flowers. ;)

sunkist said:
if the 1st pix is taken in that condition. U have a steady hand!!! bro!

Hehehehe...I think I do have a pair of lucky steady hands. This time seems to be proven. Previously, I was also doubting because I took the following photo in Melaka, hand held, around 7pm, which I thought it might be of luck only:

MelakaNightScene02.jpg

JimDavis said:
Hehehehe...I think I do have a pair of lucky steady hands. This time seems to be proven. Previously, I was also doubting because I took the following photo in Melaka, hand held, around 7pm, which I thought it might be of luck only:

MelakaNightScene02.jpg

Can't help it, got to admire this pic once more! Very very nice pic.... :thumbsup:

LifeWorld said:
Can't help it, got to admire this pic once more! Very very nice pic.... :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot LifeWorld. So I guess I can start to auction out my pair of hands liaoz huh? :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Or should I invest in heavy insurance for my both hands? :dunno:

LifeWorld said:

Agreed esp with the shadows still maintain good detail.
I like the way the lit side of the river leads my eyes to the end and then the wall leads me back along the opposite bank.

Eeerrrr....OT liaoz....care to give comment on the first 2 photos instead?? :)

JimDavis said:
Eeerrrr....OT liaoz....care to give comment on the first 2 photos instead?? :)

I have only abt 6 mnths photography experience but since you requested I will give my humble opinon, ill-informed though I may be.
From personal trial and error experience dabbling in macro, I think you could have done better trying to capture a single flower than the whole bunch because at those angles the DOF band is narrower than your subject.
Also using M or A priority and setting a smaller aperture rather than F2.8 would give you slightly more DOF. I tried it in shooting a spider in these pictures with a FZ10 and Hoya+4 closeup filter.
F3.3 http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/13003/size/big/sort/1/cat/500
F7.3
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/13004/size/big/sort/1/cat/500
Sorry about the poor framing of those shots.

AncientMariner said:
I have only abt 6 mnths photography experience but since you requested I will give my humble opinon, ill-informed though I may be.
From personal trial and error experience dabbling in macro, I think you could have done better trying to capture a single flower than the whole bunch because at those angles the DOF band is narrower than your subject.
Also using M or A priority and setting a smaller aperture rather than F2.8 would give you slightly more DOF. I tried it in shooting a spider in these pictures with a FZ10 and Hoya+4 closeup filter.
F3.3 http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/13003/size/big/sort/1/cat/500
F7.3
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/13004/size/big/sort/1/cat/500
Sorry about the poor framing of those shots.

Thanks for your feedback and sharing. I shall bear in mind, and try out better shot next time. :)

Macro flowers comments....don't take it personally. My opinion only and no expert in flower macro at all.

1. Messy...too many subjects in both photos.
2. #2...try narrower DOF to put focus on the subject you are trying to emphasize and reduce the clutter.
3. If I remember this flower correctly, is the color correct ? Should it be red ?

tankm said:
Macro flowers comments....don't take it personally. My opinion only and no expert in flower macro at all.

1. Messy...too many subjects in both photos.
2. #2...try narrower DOF to put focus on the subject you are trying to emphasize and reduce the clutter.
3. If I remember this flower correctly, is the color correct ? Should it be red ?

Yo tankm,

Nothing personal, I am taking it very, very positively. :)

For your point 3, the color is indeed correct, not red...even from far, it is still show as orange. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.