Macro flash bracket and focusing rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
How useful and important is the macro flash bracket and focusing rail?

Anyone can share their setup? If have pic, the better.

Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
For macro flash backet, the main objective is to position your flash just above the edge of your lens to give you a better lighting and to eliminate the shadow. Or, if you intend to use a two-flash setup for macro then the dual macro backet is the answer. This setup will enable you to use the main flash to act like a sunlight and the other one can fill-in the shadow or illuminate the dark background.

I thought of getting the wimberley flash bracket before, but it's too expensive (around $380+) and can only be used for arca-swiss type ballhead. So, I just got myself a very cheap normal horizontal flash bracket. I didnt position it horizontally though, I positioned it in such a way that my flash will be just beside my lens. Inclining the flash 45deg plus omnibounce gave me the lighting and shadow control Ive always wanted.

As for focusing rail, I find it important for high magnification. Specifically for lens reverse method or prime lens + extension tube wherein your magnification is normally fixed. You can easily move your cam to-and-fro while mounted on a tripod.

:)

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Sgt. Pepper said:
I thought of getting the wimberley flash bracket before, but it's too expensive (around $380+) and can only be used for arca-swiss type ballhead. So, I just got myself a very cheap normal horizontal flash bracket. I didnt position it horizontally though, I positioned it in such a way that my flash will be just beside my lens. Inclining the flash 45deg plus omnibounce gave me the lighting and shadow control Ive always wanted.
:)

Very cheap horizontal flash bracket is what model/brand? Is it the manfrotto one?

How about the usefulness of a ring flash as compare to those you have mentioned?

Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
Very cheap horizontal flash bracket is what model/brand? Is it the manfrotto one?
It's the normal horizontal flash brocket, not sure about the brand. But Ive got it for 18$ at CP.

How about the usefulness of a ring flash as compare to those you have mentioned?
I'll leave it to the ring flash owners to comment on this. :)

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Sgt, what lens do you use to shoot your mosquitos and flies? I am considering some micro/macro lens to shoot flowers because they dont move around, and they dont charge me by the hour. :D

Jun 30, 2003
Visit site
Astin said:
Sgt, what lens do you use to shoot your mosquitos and flies? I am considering some micro/macro lens to shoot flowers because they dont move around, and they dont charge me by the hour. :D
You're right! :D

I only have 1 and only 1 macro lens and that's my beloved Sigma 105mm.. but, the moquitos were shot with 1.4X TC.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Astin said:

Since I can sense a Nikon in you.

I would recomend the micro 105mm(if budget permit) or the micro 60mm.

Both will serve you well.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Hehe bin you are watching me???
I started favouring towards the micro 105mm, but after research, I am now more favouring towards the micro 60mm.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Anyone tried to DIY the butterfly macro flash backet from Joh Shaw book?

Or anyone used a readily available flash bracket and mod it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom