macro filter or reverse mount or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echo22

Jun 16, 2004
SG [sembawang]
Are there differences when using macro filters and when using reverse mount?? or they both achieve a more magnified image?

Are +10, +4, +2 filters macro filters? if so, wat do they stand for..

i am considering wat to buy and hope i can get more info abt them before going to buy them.. wondering which would be a bigger choice to buy for taking macro shots..

thankz in advance for enlightening mi.. :p

Echo22 said:
Are there differences when using macro filters and when using reverse mount?? or they both achieve a more magnified image?

Are +10, +4, +2 filters macro filters? if so, wat do they stand for..

i am considering wat to buy and hope i can get more info abt them before going to buy them.. wondering which would be a bigger choice to buy for taking macro shots..

thankz in advance for enlightening mi.. :p

buy +4 and +2 for experimenting macro..thats wat i do last time
now i owned a true macro lens..

have fun. anyway most of the places dun sell +10 filter or out of stock...for most thread sizes...reverse mount never try it before heard it gives very good macro
u should try it!

rainman said:
buy +4 and +2 for experimenting macro..thats wat i do last time
now i owned a true macro lens..

have fun. anyway most of the places dun sell +10 filter or out of stock...for most thread sizes...reverse mount never try it before heard it gives very good macro
u should try it!

+2 filter izzit they magnify the image by 2x and +4 by 4x and so on??

i wen to mscolor at amk to check the price.. +2, +4 filter is abt $20+ then reverse mount is $20+ too..

think i will buy both la.. haha..

anyone can tell mi more abt reverse mount?? does it magnify more than the macro filters?

no, +2 does not mean double, and so on. I think +2 means your working distance (minimum focusing) is halved, and +4 means ¼.

$20 filter is for brands like Hoya. The Canon 250D which is +4 equivalent is something like $120 and is a multi-element "lens". However my lousy eyes cannot tell the differences.

Also your $20 reverse mount should be referring to the ring only. You still have to get an appropriate 50mm prime lens, and you need to get a really fast one like f/1.4 else you will have very little light. I understand reverse mounting 50mm prime can achieve more than 5× magnification.

Reverse mounting 50mm prime makes your 10 cent coin as huge as your frame :)

choy, should reverse mount your g5 and take the fishes. haha! :D

OzOn3 said:

choy, should reverse mount your g5 and take the fishes. haha! :D

I have tried reverse mounting on the G5, quite bad vignetting on f/1.8 so thinking of getting the f/1.4. want to use it for taking my classic stamps paper surface. definitely cannot take fish, unless they're dead.

hwchoy said:
no, +2 does not mean double, and so on. I think +2 means your working distance (minimum focusing) is halved, and +4 means ¼.

$20 filter is for brands like Hoya. The Canon 250D which is +4 equivalent is something like $120 and is a multi-element "lens". However my lousy eyes cannot tell the differences.

Also your $20 reverse mount should be referring to the ring only. You still have to get an appropriate 50mm prime lens, and you need to get a really fast one like f/1.4 else you will have very little light. I understand reverse mounting 50mm prime can achieve more than 5× magnification.

wa.. :sweat: hahaz.. reverse mount still need such a gd lens.. hahaz.. nahz.. i dun have tat kind of fast lens.. got zoom lens of canon 75-300mm and 28-90mm... those kind of cheap cheap lens.. not even USM.. :sweatsm:

then think i going to get +2, +4 and may be +10 filters lor.. think hoya filter can liao.. mi juz learning onli.. no need too gd equipments.. hahaz.. since the differences between a hoya and a multi-element "lens" not much..

any advise when buying those filters? any things to check out for? or any other recommendations instead of those filters...

thankz guys.. learn new stuffs again!! :D

Echo22 said:
wa.. :sweat: hahaz.. reverse mount still need such a gd lens.. hahaz.. nahz.. i dun have tat kind of fast lens.. got zoom lens of canon 75-300mm and 28-90mm... those kind of cheap cheap lens.. not even USM.. :sweatsm:

then think i going to get +2, +4 and may be +10 filters lor.. think hoya filter can liao.. mi juz learning onli.. no need too gd equipments.. hahaz.. since the differences between a hoya and a multi-element "lens" not much..

any advise when buying those filters? any things to check out for? or any other recommendations instead of those filters...

thankz guys.. learn new stuffs again!! :D

filters can be stacked so you can get +2, +4 (maybe 2) then you can stack to get +10 liaoz, since you also learning only cannot tell the difference :p

Here's a bit of wisdom from John Shaw regarding diopters from 'John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide:

'Supplementary diopters work by shortening the effective focal length of the lens on which they are used.... formula for determining the actual focal length which you end up:

Combined focal length = 1000/ [(1000/Focal length of lens) + diopter power].

Magnification = Focal length of camera lens/ Focal length of diopter (diopter's focal length = 1000/diopter power)'

OzOn3 said:

Erm... how do you reverse mount a 50mm prime? is there a specific adapter for it or something tat could attach to the thread?

you need a two-way ring, which has screw threads on both sides. one should fit your lens on the cam, the other should fit the front thread of the 50mm prime.

hwchoy said:
you need a two-way ring, which has screw threads on both sides. one should fit your lens on the cam, the other should fit the front thread of the 50mm prime.

So it's like stacking two lens together?... and the two lens must be of the same threads size?

from wat i know, the two lens muz be the same diameter.. so both can fit on to the len to len mount..

the mount is like a filter without the glass and with screw thread on the both sides of the mount...

Echo22 said:
from wat i know, the two lens muz be the same diameter.. so both can fit on to the len to len mount..

the mount is like a filter without the glass and with screw thread on the both sides of the mount...

There are rings with different thread size on both sides, I believe. Best to check with the Peninsula shops or MS Colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.