Macro Extension Tube question

Status
Not open for further replies.

moski77

Feb 23, 2009
East Side
I just got a macro extension tube from tago tech. use it with 50mm 1.8 on canon 400d. from the the tips it said :

Tips for Canon
As EF lens doesn't have a manual aperture ring, you can only shoot with aperture wide open. There's workaround thou:
1) Mount the EF Lens to the camera
2) Set the required aperture
3) Press and hold DOF preview button, at the same time remove the lens. Now the lens has close down its aperture.
4) Mount the lens to the extension tube, and to the camera.
5) Start shooting with the "closed" aperture.

i can't seem to close down the aperture still. anybody got experiance using this tube before? i can only shoot with aperture wide open. i would love if i can control the f stop using this tube. cheap way getting cheap macro shot. :sweat:

are u holding down the dof button while taking the lens out? i suggest stopping down to f/11 or more before doing so.

Yup i did hold down d button but i go for f8 and when i remove the lense while camera still on and button still press down the f stop still change back to wide open f00. I just tried f 11 hold down on the dof button and remove the lense and still i goes back to f00. :cry:

Yup i did hold down d button but i go for f8 and when i remove the lense while camera still on and button still press down the f stop still change back to wide open f00. I just tried f 11 hold down on the dof button and remove the lense and still i goes back to f00. :cry:

haha. trial and error then. by the way, it will say f00 on your camera. but the lens will be f8. u have to look inside the lens. u will see the aperture closing up. then u succeeded already. the camera will not say f8 when u take it out. it will read f00.

Thanks ... ur right i saw d dof view never change ... just that mayb doin this macro thing d dof really very narrow ... very critical ... Thanks again hope i get the hang of this cheap macro tube hehehe ;)

Thanks ... ur right i saw d dof view never change ... just that mayb doin this macro thing d dof really very narrow ... very critical ... Thanks again hope i get the hang of this cheap macro tube hehehe ;)

no problem. hope u have fun with your macro tube.

having super fun time at work shooting everybody miniature toy :bsmilie: hahaha ... thanks

hmm just asking.. sorry if im trolling this thread..

does it need to have lots of light to capture pics?

cos at night... everything is pitch black and have to play with long shutter..

if u can afford to have ur subject stay so stationary for the duration of the long exposure, else yes light would be lovely

ryan

U need to have a flash at night to assist u. Even in the day ,macro guys shoot with flash. Cos ur DOF is very thin. Slightest movement will affect ur picture

Not 'lots of light' but just the right amount - which depends on ambient light, shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Your meter will tell you whether all settings are sufficient for a correct exposure under the given conditions. Read-up about exposure. There are guides in the newbies section, sticky threads on top.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.