Macro Converter

Stevewhy

Apr 8, 2006
Hi all Macro shooters. :)

I would like to share some knowledge on Macro Converter with all Macro lovers, use in conjunction with a regular 50mm standard lens; you can convert a standard lens into 1:1 life-size macro lens, any lens may be used, a 50mm, 75mm, 100mm or a 135mm, as-well as a 200mm or 400mm lens can be used with this macro-converter, it’s easy to change magnification over a useful range, you lose two stops, it works like a bellows(bulky) and for extension tubes the magnification will be fixed.

To my knowledge third party Macro Converters are build by Panagor, Teleplus and Vivitar or maybe more, for quality go for Teleplus Macro MC7(7 elements) infinity to 1:1, hard to find now, don’t know about the other two brands and elements, the beauty of Macro Converter is that you can use for really close up and afar, double up as a 2X Tele Converter, don’t worry about the lose of two stops and the element for Macro shoots, end of the day you are shooting with flash(As the saying goes, the Pros used more flash than the amateurs) and only few inches away from the subject, you don’t loose much quality, so its not a big problem, as compared to long distance shoots.

I did not do any direct comparison with bellows and extension tube, so no comments on the quality, I would conclude that the Macro Converter is easy to use and you are in control.

The below pictures were taken last year with my Nikon 55mm Macro lens(manual lens) plus Teleplus Macro Converter on my friends Nikon D70s.

Don’t be mistaken between Macro Converter and Tele Converter.
(Left) Macro Converter at infinity. (Right) 2X Tele Converter
374132987_11eca21f68_o.jpg

Don’t be mistaken between Macro Converter and Tele Converter.
(Left) Macro Converter at 1:1. (Right) 2X Tele Converter.
374132992_fff0fdc860_o.jpg

The Singapore 5 cents coin is for thickness comparison, you will be amaze to know how thin the spider is and you can see the hair pores too, this is the results from the setup.
Cropped away 50%
373673505_3490ca167e_o.jpg

Hahaha…. If the spider continues thinking too much, it is going to become bald soon.
Cropped away 80%
373673510_347681ce27_o.jpg

Thanks for viewing

hate your shooting...thats why till now, I refuse to purchase a dedicate marco lens...

Thanks!

Thank you very much megaweb for making my thread sticky as requested. I’m very honoured ;)

hate your shooting...thats why till now, I refuse to purchase a dedicate marco lens...

Don’t hate me la… come come I’ll buy you coffee ok! Hehehe….. ;)

Hi Stevewhy,

Your macro postings are always interesting to view.

Just wondering where is your "hunting ground" for the spiders. Care to share?

Like to try some shots myself. Better still if you can share some tips on shooting spiders.

Thanks

Hi Stevewhy,

Your macro postings are always interesting to view.

Just wondering where is your "hunting ground" for the spiders. Care to share?

Like to try some shots myself. Better still if you can share some tips on shooting spiders.

Thanks

Ooops! Sorry miss out on you. :embrass:

Thanks whitefeather.

You can find Spiders everywhere, most of my spiders shots were taken at parks, sungei buloh and lower pierce.
Well for the tips…Deswitch quote “Whatever you learnt on theory will never beat the skills you pick up in the field” ;)

For me, you are God sent. Now, where to get the macro teleplus and how much?
Once again, THANKS.

patktl

For me, you are God sent. Now, where to get the macro teleplus and how much?
Once again, THANKS.

patktl

Hi patktl

I bought this macro teleplus 25 years ago, don't really remember the shop i purchase from, upon checking the box is says $295.00 maybe you can try those shops the sell old camera stuff. Sorry can't help you much.

Happy hunting. ;)

Hi patktl

I bought this macro teleplus 25 years ago, don't really remember the shop i purchase from, upon checking the box is says $295.00 maybe you can try those shops the sell old camera stuff. Sorry can't help you much.

Happy hunting. ;)
Yes, 25 years ago. I think you can get that on eBay much cheaper today. The one I have is a Panagor, may not be optically the best one but it is good enough and it did not const more than about US$30 on eBay. In case some macro shooters are interested, I include a link to show how I combined old technology to fit into a modern digital environment. I believe what I did works not only for Olympus but also for other brand.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=264305

one scary guy..........;)

Hi nice macros!

so your set up takes pics at 1:1 with picture cropping only ?

Ryan

Hi Stevewhy,

Thank you very much for sharing your Macro converter tips. Somethings not so sure, so please advise.

1, You mentioned any standard lens can used with the MC, must this 'Standard lens' be a macro lens or any prime lens, can it be 'Zoom' ?

2, You also mentioned that the MC can be double up to be 'tele converter', but how to if it is a macro?

Hi Stevewhy,

Thank you very much for sharing your Macro converter tips. Somethings not so sure, so please advise.

1, You mentioned any standard lens can used with the MC, must this 'Standard lens' be a macro lens or any prime lens, can it be 'Zoom' ?

2, You also mentioned that the MC can be double up to be 'tele converter', but how to if it is a macro?

thx for sharing!! i also wish to know wat tescotts question.. interest the macro converter..:thumbsup:

Yes, 25 years ago. I think you can get that on eBay much cheaper today. The one I have is a Panagor, may not be optically the best one but it is good enough and it did not const more than about US$30 on eBay. In case some macro shooters are interested, I include a link to show how I combined old technology to fit into a modern digital environment. I believe what I did works not only for Olympus but also for other brand.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=264305

Good effort there OlyFlyer.

Good to know another die-hard DIY guy out there, keep it up.

Thanks for sharing.:)

Hi nice macros!

so your set up takes pics at 1:1 with picture cropping only ?

Ryan

Thanks gaintcanoy.

Yup taken at 1:1, some cropping, adjust brightness, some sharpness and remove noise if required. ;)

Hi Stevewhy,

thx for sharing!! i also wish to know wat tescotts question.. interest the macro converter..:thumbsup:

Thanks tescotts and joey91.

1). Yes any standard or prime lens will turn into 1:1 macro lens, (wow! 400mm lens at 1:1 macro, but DOF will be very shallow) can use on zoom as well (must be well calibrated), but zoom lens quality is not as good as prime.

2). Yes it can be double up to be 'tele converter', just like your dedicated 100mm macro lens, it can shoot macro at few inches and take portraits as well, so now you convert 200mm prime into 1:1 macro and at the same time it becomes 400mm lens and you can shoot the moon too, but I think the quality will not be as good as prime 400mm, as for macro this will not be an issue as I have mention above, you are shooting only few inches away from your subjects and with your flash.

Hope this helps. ;)