Macro close up filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

photo2k

Mar 29, 2004
Hello,
I am very new with Macro. I just brought myself a Tamron SP 90mm. Is there a need to get a closeup filter for a better closeup on inserts ? Any recommendation ?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

photo2k said:
Hello,
I am very new with Macro. I just brought myself a Tamron SP 90mm. Is there a need to get a closeup filter for a better closeup on inserts ? Any recommendation ?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

nope, unless u wanna go beyond 1:1, then u will need a closeup filter, like a Nikon 6T or 250D.

depends on what you want to shoot. Most of the time the T90 is good enough.

If you intend to shoot a 0201 sm resistor to full frame then probably you need some serious extension tubes and close up filter. What I normally do is to use a 100% crop of it. The quality of the picture must be good in order to do that.

yanyewkay said:

If you intend to shoot a 0201 sm resistor to full frame then probably you need some serious extension tubes and close up filter. What I normally do is to use a 100% crop of it. The quality of the picture must be good in order to do that.

wah u damn sharp sia, i din notice he was talking about inserts when u say the resistor...

photo2k said:
Hello,

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

Hi, i'm using the same lens.....my problem is i alway come to close to the subject (insects)
couple of time make my 'dragonfly' fly off its perch.....now i use 2X tc so i can be further away from my subject.

Cheers

yanyewkay said:

I would probably use a microscope.

lsisaxon said:
I would probably use a microscope.
Good idea. Unfortunately, I don't own a microscope and never tried microscoping with a DSLR before so cannot suggest/comment much on them. Actually, the truth is, it didn't cross my mind. :bsmilie:

My friend's lab does hook up a P&S to the microscope for some microbiology photos. However, the work area and height is very limited (to mostly dishes) and I don't think he would allow me to bring my stuff into his clean place to shoot.

Inserts I normally come across are ~.8 mm in diameter rarely less. Some call it "grommets".
The 0201 example was a bit extreme. I've seen some professional works that take hairline fractures in f-PCBs (flexi-cables) :thumbsup: I'm super impressed. I've only tried to take 0201s only once or twice. Very frustrating becos the pics always turn out shaky even if I use timer. Not sure if it's the mirror slap, this one I cannot confirm. And, yes, the cam was mounted on tripod.

maybe photo2k can tell us the sizes and types of inserts he shooting?

DC∀: bo bian.. ppl now catching the words I type. So have to be sharp to read others posts also. In CS, must always be on the ball and most importantly.. post only what ppl love to hear/read. :lovegrin:

Very sorry for the typo, I mean insects not insert. I am impressed with some of the posted macro pics where you can see the very fine hairy details of the insects. I am wondering if the SP 90mm macro lens can do the job without the close-up filter.

Cheers

photo2k said:
Hello,

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.

If u want a cheaper alternative u can buy the Hoya close up filters.

photo2k said:
Very sorry for the typo, I mean insects not insert. I am impressed with some of the posted macro pics where you can see the very fine hairy details of the insects. I am wondering if the SP 90mm macro lens can do the job without the close-up filter.

Cheers
:bsmilie:

yanyewkay said:
Good idea. Unfortunately, I don't own a microscope and never tried microscoping with a DSLR before so cannot suggest/comment much on them. Actually, the truth is, it didn't cross my mind. :bsmilie:

My friend's lab does hook up a P&S to the microscope for some microbiology photos. However, the work area and height is very limited (to mostly dishes) and I don't think he would allow me to bring my stuff into his clean place to shoot.

Inserts I normally come across are ~.8 mm in diameter rarely less. Some call it "grommets".
The 0201 example was a bit extreme. I've seen some professional works that take hairline fractures in f-PCBs (flexi-cables) :thumbsup: I'm super impressed. I've only tried to take 0201s only once or twice. Very frustrating becos the pics always turn out shaky even if I use timer. Not sure if it's the mirror slap, this one I cannot confirm. And, yes, the cam was mounted on tripod.

I saw a microscoping setup before.. the head/lensadapter or what not alone cost a cool USD$500 IIRC. I doubt most normal people can afford it.. Of course, that was used to take photos of stuff like cells.. o_O
Expensive setup..

Think earlier some time back got this guy selling his 1 year old 300D, which he said to have only been used in microscoping.. Wonder what's his setup like.

unseen said:
I saw a microscoping setup before.. the head/lensadapter or what not alone cost a cool USD$500 IIRC. I doubt most normal people can afford it.. Of course, that was used to take photos of stuff like cells.. o_O
Expensive setup..

Think earlier some time back got this guy selling his 1 year old 300D, which he said to have only been used in microscoping.. Wonder what's his setup like.

Sorry to OT a bit. Some scopes have their own special cams. I am using a 1 megapixel B&W cooled CCD cam, costs about $35k. Crazy.... :sweat:

from this photo
DSC_3348.jpg

the 100% crop gets me this
3348-100.jpg

never knew he was this furry and cute up close huh? :D

If the tokina 100 can get this.. I'm sure the tamron 90 is more than much capable.
the 100% crop is good enough for 4R prints. :cheers:

EDIT: I think i missed out a point. If you're not keen on doing PS/cropping to your pictures then you would need the aid of ext tubes/TC/CU filters to get the above effect with your tamron 90. If you do intend to get a CU filter, get a good one like the Canon 500D. It costs a bit more but the quality shows for itself.

photo2k said:
Hello,

Thanks a lot.

Cheers.
lots of the shots you see in the macro section are taken with this lens without any filters/tubes. since you've already got the lens, why don't you go try it out first? see if you can get the kind of shots you want before you go out and spend more money?

sometimes i find that my problem shooting insects isn't the lens, but just how close i can get without scaring them off. shooting bugs requires a different set of skills from say taking sports or people. why not try upgrading the skills first? using a close up lens will help you get more magnification, but it will also mean moving even closer to the insect, and having even more trouble with focus, handholding etc.

yanyewkay said:

DC∀: bo bian.. ppl now catching the words I type. So have to be sharp to read others posts also. In CS, must always be on the ball and most importantly.. post only what ppl love to hear/read. :lovegrin:

If you urgetly need it I do have a microscope with adapter that connect to the P&S digital camera.

thank for the offer! :D but I do not need the kind of magnification for now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.