Macro and Macro adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykia

Apr 23, 2005
PunggolJetty.Com
Depends on your budget, how often you're going to shoot macro & how small is the subject.

If you have a limited budget and are only going to try out macro a few times a year and the subject is about butterfly sized, then stick to the adaptor. Otherwise, invest in an entry level macro lens like the 3rd party 90mm lenses.

Depends on your budget, how often you're going to shoot macro & how small is the subject.

If you have a limited budget and are only going to try out macro a few times a year and the subject is about butterfly sized, then stick to the adaptor. Otherwise, invest in an entry level macro lens like the 3rd party 90mm lenses.

budjet is not a issue , just wanna ask around for those pro macro.. I've seen tchuanye website it was excellent and was dreaming to take a shot like that..He was using just macro adaptor n simple DIY flash diffuser.

ykia

Apr 23, 2005
PunggolJetty.Com
Don't know how much are Nikon lenses or adaptors.

For Canon, the screw-on lens adaptor (500D, 77mm thread) is about $300, the 100mm F/2.8 Macro lens is about $700 and the 180mm F/3.5 lens is above $2000.

For flash, if you have a shoe mounted flash, a simple white bounce card taped above will do quite nicely, or you could get the Macro Ring flash which will set you back about $800.

Since budget is no issue to you, get the lens & a ring flash.

ExplorerZ

Jan 9, 2006
West Legion
hkchew03.deviantart.com
budjet is not a issue , just wanna ask around for those pro macro.. I've seen tchuanye website it was excellent and was dreaming to take a shot like that..He was using just macro adaptor n simple DIY flash diffuser.
budget not an issue? get the true 1:1 macro lens... not the macro adaptor or close up filters...

cantaresg

Feb 23, 2007
Woodlands
A true macro lens will definitely be able to produce better image than a macro adapter. Try for a Tamron 90mm if you are not willing to spend too much. A second hand will cost you about $450?

dw2chan

Jul 2, 2007
my advice is to start out with some extension tubes. these are quite cheap. a kenko set is going for about 100usd on ebay.

and then of course you'll need a flash. you dont need a fancy ring flash, just get a speedlite... i've seen some amazing macro shots where a person taped a tube to his speedlite so it gave a spotlight effect on the subject, was very new and interesting way of doing it. and then there's the option of just using a bounce card too

once you decide to buy a dedicated macro lens... stack it with the extension tubes for greater magnification.

i'd stay away from adaptors... i dont think the quality is quite as good.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
Go for the Tamron 90mm f2.8 if you have about 500 - 600+ to spare. And if you have more than 1.2k to spare, go for the Nikon 105VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom