Macro: 50mm or 105mm?


Status
Not open for further replies.

asturias105

Senior Member
Dec 18, 2004
589
0
16
photobloglww.orgfree.com
#1
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a macro lens to do insect photography. However, I can't come to a decision on whether to get the 50mm or 105mm macro. Anyone has experience in both these lenses, and can share any advice?

Thanks!
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,877
15
38
really MORE diaper changes
#2
asturias105 said:
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a macro lens to do insect photography. However, I can't come to a decision on whether to get the 50mm or 105mm macro. Anyone has experience in both these lenses, and can share any advice?

Thanks!
bug shots? go long. 105mm possible. 180mm better still, if u managed to get ur hands on the tamron 180mm. ;)
 

asturias105

Senior Member
Dec 18, 2004
589
0
16
photobloglww.orgfree.com
#4
nightwolf75 said:
bug shots? go long. 105mm possible. 180mm better still, if u managed to get ur hands on the tamron 180mm. ;)
Thanks for your input! I was wondering if 105mm will give a shallower depth of view (which is disadvantage in shooting macro) than the 50mm one.
 

ortega

Moderator
Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
23,706
10
38
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
#6
105mm good balance of working distance/weight/hand holdability

yes the longer the focal lenght the lesser the dof, so you got to find yourself a nice balance
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,942
0
36
#7
asturias105 said:
Thanks for your input! I was wondering if 105mm will give a shallower depth of view (which is disadvantage in shooting macro) than the 50mm one.
Most of the time you might need to shoot at f/8 or f/11 anyway.
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,877
15
38
really MORE diaper changes
#8
asturias105 said:
Thanks for your input! I was wondering if 105mm will give a shallower depth of view (which is disadvantage in shooting macro) than the 50mm one.
hehe... i doubt u'll want to shoot at f2.8 for macro... at that range, most probably u'll end up with a very sharp eyeball and blur everything else. nice for portraits, but u'll get :flame: by the macro shooters.... :bsmilie:
 

Feb 26, 2006
119
0
0
Singapore
#9
asturias105 said:
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a macro lens to do insect photography. However, I can't come to a decision on whether to get the 50mm or 105mm macro. Anyone has experience in both these lenses, and can share any advice?

Thanks!
I suggest you go for 105mm. Personally, i have got a 60mm. Indeed, faced some challenges while shooting insects with 60mm. If you go for 50mm, i think you will share the same pain or more.
 

DeSwitch

Senior Member
Oct 28, 2005
3,202
0
0
52
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
#10
I used Tamron 90mm. great lense for the price and also easy to handheld. I tried the Canon 180mm but need tripod to get good shot. If you had never took insects before you will soon learn that by the time you set up your tripod, they are gone (most of the time).

50mm is a litle too short to use. so the normal length of 90mm to 105mm is suitable.
 

asturias105

Senior Member
Dec 18, 2004
589
0
16
photobloglww.orgfree.com
#11
DeSwitch said:
I used Tamron 90mm. great lense for the price and also easy to handheld. I tried the Canon 180mm but need tripod to get good shot. If you had never took insects before you will soon learn that by the time you set up your tripod, they are gone (most of the time).

50mm is a litle too short to use. so the normal length of 90mm to 105mm is suitable.
Thanks for ur advice, DeSwitch.

I've actually done macro using reversed lens before.. so I know what it is like to shoot at near distance. I guess u'r rite that 90mm or 105 mm is more suitable, but I couldn't decide on which to get still, because of the price difference. ;p
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,877
15
38
really MORE diaper changes
#12
asturias105 said:
Thanks for ur advice, DeSwitch.

I've actually done macro using reversed lens before.. so I know what it is like to shoot at near distance. I guess u'r rite that 90mm or 105 mm is more suitable, but I couldn't decide on which to get still, because of the price difference. ;p
eh... which system are u using, dun mind i ask?

tamron 90mm are going at quite a reasonable price in B/S - ard $500? there's a new tokina 100mm/f2.8 1:1 macro. not a bad lens too. :p
 

airforce1

Senior Member
Aug 18, 2003
2,350
0
36
#13
If you are using digital slr go for tamron 90mm. Of course good buy will be the nikon 105mm and you can use extension tube to have more reach or increase magnifications.
 

asturias105

Senior Member
Dec 18, 2004
589
0
16
photobloglww.orgfree.com
#15
nightwolf75 said:
eh... which system are u using, dun mind i ask?

tamron 90mm are going at quite a reasonable price in B/S - ard $500? there's a new tokina 100mm/f2.8 1:1 macro. not a bad lens too. :p
Hi nw, I'm using 300D. I'm now still on the lookout for 2nd hand macro lens in bns.. no one selling canon's one currently though. :| .. haha

Tokina's 100mm.. how much does it cost??
 

Caicaizi

New Member
Mar 16, 2006
80
0
0
Redhill
#16
asturias105 said:
Tokina's 100mm.. how much does it cost??
From what i know, Tokina's 100mm macro is cheaper than Tamron 90mm macro, available in Canon & Nikon mounts only!
 

jeryltan

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2006
3,354
0
0
44
s5.photobucket.com
#17
$545 when under promo.. Not sure if promo still on..

asturias105 said:
Hi nw, I'm using 300D. I'm now still on the lookout for 2nd hand macro lens in bns.. no one selling canon's one currently though. :| .. haha

Tokina's 100mm.. how much does it cost??
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,877
15
38
really MORE diaper changes
#18
asturias105 said:
Hi nw, I'm using 300D. I'm now still on the lookout for 2nd hand macro lens in bns.. no one selling canon's one currently though. :| .. haha

Tokina's 100mm.. how much does it cost??
orh... okie. makes things easier now. ;p

the excellent canon 100mm macro, think i saw one on sale a couple of weeks ago. if not, the tokina is the latest 3rd-party macro lens on sale. i do believe the promo is still on at CP. ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom