MacRitchie Trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocmuffins

Sep 2, 2008
Singapore

Hiya guys,

This is my first try for Critique Corner. This afternoon I went MacRitchie to find some spot for model shoots and happen to find this tower. It was six storey tall and you can see what's around from the top. I try shooting this piece with the trail leading inwards to the dense forest.

PP done is graduated filter from LR, to enhance the shadow/highlights. It was a very bright day, the sky and the trees are fighting for detail.

Thanks for looking.

Hiya guys,

This is my first try for Critique Corner. This afternoon I went MacRitchie to find some spot for model shoots and happen to find this tower. It was six storey tall and you can see what's around from the top. I try shooting this piece with the trail leading inwards to the dense forest.

PP done is graduated filter from LR, to enhance the shadow/highlights. It was a very bright day, the sky and the trees are fighting for detail.

Thanks for looking.

Hi
I'm kinda new to Digital Photography. What does PP stand for?

Thanks a million.
Bernard

Erm............maybe you want to work with rule of thirds first. From your picture, it is 50% sky, 50% trees so they are fighting for equal attention.

If you ask me, i think your sky is much more interesting than the trail below. :)

First, I'd like to gently point out that asking non related questions in the critique forum is generally frowned on. Read the FAQ in the critique forum on expectations and etiquette for posting here. I encourage you to ask questions in the Newbie (or other appropriate) forums.

As for the photo, I'm guessing you're trying to show a path leading off into a dense forest. It doesn't quite work for me, I think the reasons are:

1. Horizon is about midway in the picture - in this case, 1/3 (or less) sky might work out better. Even not having the sky at all might be better, and it would certainly solve your high contrast between sky and trees problem.

2. Not being able to see the trail clearly. Partly because it is not a very prominent part of the image, and partly because of strong contrast. Shooting during morning / evening or during a cloudy day may work out better. I think the harsh light does not go well with the image of a path that disappears off into the dense forest.

3. Positioning of the path right in the center. Try experimenting with having it off to one side.

I'm not sure the top of the tower is the best place for the image I think you're trying to capture (note : I may be wrong in what I think you're trying to capture). I think lower down, in softer light, and landscape orientation, may work better.

Many much more talented landscape photographers here - I was hoping they would jump in and offer some advice, but since they haven't yet, maybe I can help get the ball rolling. I'm learning too.

In some ways, I agree with lennyl. Same here, it doesnt work for me, nothing dramatic, just like another factual, PnS shoot.
I would have stayed on the trail, and took the trail from the ground itself, leaving little for the clouds/sky. The shadows on the ground would be more interesting. If the main intetion was to capture the clouds only then leave the trail, just get enough for the crown of the trees.

OK, thanks in advance for the input guys...

I did consider rule of thirds... somehow, didn't get what I expected. So went 50-50 instead. Pardon for "standardness", will try recomposing in the future. :D

I also did move to the lower levels, changed to landscape... can't quite capture the trail, and felt the result is even more so-so than this one.

So yeah, I guess it's just me trying to cram too many things inside one image. Will try focus on less items next time.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.