MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Blue

Deregistered
Nov 8, 2006
Hey Mac bros out there, just out of curiosity. How many years do you use your macbook before you start to think of upgrading or feel that it's not as good as before? The average for windows notebook is about 2-3years. So is Mac lasting longer?

Also there's IT show round the corner...is it better to buy there or your regular shop. BTW, which shop would you recommend to go if IT show is not the place to be?

Yep, it'll be about 2-3 years if you like to run the latest OS / Software without feeling like the machine is bogged down.

the aluminium macbook will be re-branded as the 13" macbook pro.

apparently the newer ones will have a better screen (giving 'true blacks') and cheaper. it also has a SD card slot.

but the battery is now non user replaceable.

i think the IT show will be clearing the older ones as this 'new' 13" macbook pro is supposed to be available.

whoops and it all comes with backlit keyboards now...

Edit: hmm just checked out the pics on the apple website... now macbook pro 13" also have firewire port. you weigh the pro and cons to buying a cheaper older version and the brand new one.

Last edited:
I have been using the Mac for the last 4 years and have not regretted since. My first Mac was a G4 and I have used it for almost 3 years, despite it's age, it is still so much faster than most of the latest Microsoft based computers. I have sold the G4, for a good price and have since bought the MacBook Pro about a year and half ago, mainly for vanity reason than an upgrade. The latest Mac looks great and am again tempted to change but waiting for the new Snow Leopard. Again, it is not because that my old Mac is getting slow as it performs just as great as when it was first bought. The good thing about Macs is that you can upgrade the OS and the computer will still perform. Apple controls their launching and prices very well, do not know about IT shows, but their prices are usually consistent. Cheers

If I have lost of cash to spare, I will upgrade yearlly.
Point is I don't LOL.. so until the day my mac's speed reaches my threshold for slowness, I will still have it with me. Oh, I am on MacBook Pro though. Still running faster than my office dual G5 PowerMac.

I mean, everyone has their threshold.... if still good for what upgrade, right.

Mine is first gen core duo till now i dont feel need to change...almost entering the 4th year of service now.

Hey Mac bros out there, just out of curiosity. How many years do you use your macbook before you start to think of upgrading or feel that it's not as good as before? The average for windows notebook is about 2-3years. So is Mac lasting longer?

Also there's IT show round the corner...is it better to buy there or your regular shop. BTW, which shop would you recommend to go if IT show is not the place to be?

My Pismo (the very last G3!) did 5 years before it died.

Current MB (the very last G4!) has lasted more than 3 years.

Ok for word processing, surfing etc. PP *abit* difficult.

Apple products used to be quite 'future proof' because they adopt new technology faster than others (Firewire in year 2000 anyone?), and you get useable software out of the box. Not sure about now.

Macbook Pros have great resale value. Good for annual upgraders without losing too much money. The new Macbook Pros with non-removable battery is great - better battery life with more than twice the number of recharges and twice the hours per charge. So no need to buy spare or replacement battery - save $$$!

I won't buy the old Mac Book 13" unless it sells for around the price of the current 13" Macbook white.

Anyone have any idea what sort of promo package at IT show. Will the new Mac Book Pros be there?

Last edited:

I used my 1st gen MacBook Pro 15" for 5 years before i bought the new unibody one this year. Never regretted it. It never failed me despite 'shiong' conditions in 12 different countries. It finally died in 2009 coz the HD gave up spinning and the LCD burnt out.

Once you go mac you never turn back...

My last Macbook Pro has lasted me around 4.5 years (still wroking) before I decided on a new MBP .. :thumbsup:

I have been using the Mac for the last 4 years and have not regretted since. My first Mac was a G4 and I have used it for almost 3 years, despite it's age, it is still so much faster than most of the latest Microsoft based computers. I have sold the G4, for a good price and have since bought the MacBook Pro about a year and half ago, mainly for vanity reason than an upgrade. The latest Mac looks great and am again tempted to change but waiting for the new Snow Leopard. Again, it is not because that my old Mac is getting slow as it performs just as great as when it was first bought. The good thing about Macs is that you can upgrade the OS and the computer will still perform. Apple controls their launching and prices very well, do not know about IT shows, but their prices are usually consistent. Cheers

thanks for sharing your experience. it seems like mac lasts slightly longer than MS computer or the average mac users have less dreams of changing once they bring home a mac pro(there may be those who want to upgrade from macbook to macbook pro)

Mine is first gen core duo till now i dont feel need to change...almost entering the 4th year of service now.

it keeps going huh...

My Pismo (the very last G3!) did 5 years before it died.

Current MB (the very last G4!) has lasted more than 3 years.

Ok for word processing, surfing etc. PP *abit* difficult.

Apple products used to be quite 'future proof' because they adopt new technology faster than others (Firewire in year 2000 anyone?), and you get useable software out of the box. Not sure about now.

i have yet to try current apple product in the last 15yrs, less to say about upgrading os.

Macbook Pros have great resale value. Good for annual upgraders without losing too much money. The new Macbook Pros with non-removable battery is great - better battery life with more than twice the number of recharges and twice the hours per charge. So no need to buy spare or replacement battery - save $$$!

I won't buy the old Mac Book 13" unless it sells for around the price of the current 13" Macbook white.

Anyone have any idea what sort of promo package at IT show. Will the new Mac Book Pros be there?

is the new non-removable battery that fantastic? from what i know the current stock mac pros can last 7hrs per charge. so do you mean the new models will last 14hrs? this would be too good to be true, i be damn to wait for it.

thanks to all for sharing your experiences.
FYI, i had a mac years ago during the DOS 3.1 era, that was really the big difference. now I've been using PC for 15yrs. to go back to mac is a bit strange but not totally unfamiliar. the saying still remains...once you use a mac, you wouldn't want to go back to Microsoft.
so now I'm seriously thinking of getting a mac since it can last for say 4 yrs. it'd be good enough for me.

Last edited:
used Windows for more than 10 yrs before switching to Mac. I wondered why i didnt switch sooner..

used Windows for more than 10 yrs before switching to Mac. I wondered why i didnt switch sooner..

aw, wouldn't that make me a fool. i haven't even started yet.

The downside of me is that you will have buy most of your software again! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.