Macbook: Upgrading Internal HDD

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Hi all! Comex is coming up so I wanna buy myself a bigger and faster internal HDD for my Macbook Non-Pro Unibody.

My question is... What should I do to go about this upgrade? I have both CDs from Apple, as well as my own Time-Machine backup of my stuff on an external HDD (as well as another manual backup on another external HDD).

Do I replace the hard drive and insert the Apple CD into the macbook, connect the time machine hdd and restore? Is it that simple?

Any help here would be hot!

Zexun

by right should be the case... but never tried it before.. would proceed with caution if i were you...

when in doubt...

seek google's help... :thumbsup:

I believe you need a Firewire connection.

For myself, i replaced the hdd but did a clean install rather then from Time Machine to get rid of any clutter i may not know off that is eating up disk space.

Last edited:
Dun think you can find 500GB 7200rpm HDD in the COMEX. Do note that the 1TB will not fit into most system as it slightly thicker that the normal drive

If you getting a 500GB 5400rpm HDD, i would recommend you to get a USB powered external HDD that you can remove the HDD inside. That way you can put your old HDD into the case and use it as a external drive.

As for tools
1) + screwdriver size 0 at least
2) Torx size 5 or 6 screwdriver.

If you do not have the know how, please send it to the professional for replacement

Last edited:
If you do not wish to do a fresh install, you can clone the entire hard disk using carbon copy cloner http://www.bombich.com/ which I always do for hard disk upgrading

You can use a usb powered external hard disk.

I've heard of problems with transferring serial numbers for Adobe products, specifically the CS4 web design package that I got. Anyone know anything about that?

I've heard of problems with transferring serial numbers for Adobe products, specifically the CS4 web design package that I got. Anyone know anything about that?

When I changed my PowerBook hard drive, I believe Photoshop CS3 had to re-authorized, but then, it could have been when I moved everything to a MacBook. There was no problem for me or I'd remember more.

Hi all! Comex is coming up so I wanna buy myself a bigger and faster internal HDD for my Macbook Non-Pro Unibody.

My question is... What should I do to go about this upgrade? I have both CDs from Apple, as well as my own Time-Machine backup of my stuff on an external HDD (as well as another manual backup on another external HDD).

Do I replace the hard drive and insert the Apple CD into the macbook, connect the time machine hdd and restore? Is it that simple?

Any help here would be hot!

Zexun

Yeah you got the steps right... I did mine couple of times before... but all the times i use firewire external HDD. Never used USB HDD for restore before.