Macbook Pro Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffers

Feb 21, 2008
I got my heart set on getting a Macbook Pro but would like to hear opinions from you guys b4 making the purchase.

I am deciding between the two 15" models ( I wanted the 17" but it's too heavy and might be difficult to sell if i wanted to upgrade) However looking at the spec for the two 15" models I am not sure whether the $800 difference in price is really worth it and justifiable.

Entry leveL MBP 2.4GHz and Mid range 2.5GHz (not too concern about the Harddisk space) and the difference in Graphics card memo. $800 difference! that's a lot of money

I use the Laptop for my photoshop work and some graphic design stuff and the usual internet and multimedia entertainment, some video work.

I'm thinking the Entry level MBP with Ram upped to 4gb would be more than enough for my usage. What do you guys think and What did/would you guys get??

Thanks

the spec upgrades are not worth the money unless you are doing video editing on the move. otherwise 3088 is a good price to get it liao.

get the 2.4 and max out the RAM...

Unless you are doing publishing (i.e. with programmes such as InDesign), you don't need a very large screen - stick to 15"
Speed increases between 2.4Ghz and 2.5Ghz isn't that perceptible most of the time..
But if I am not wrong, if you are managing your photos via Aperture or iPhoto, then it won't hurt to get a more powerful graphics card, as Mac does push some of the processing of graphics (under those cases) to the graphics card instead.. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Image)
Max your ram...

yeah..if using aperture and 3d then go for macbook pro.

if just photoshop, you can save money and go with macbook.

either way get the ram from sls and upgrade yourself.

I also think a normal mac with 2gb will be enough. I`m also doing graphic stuff. So far so good. You save quite an amount of money too. Cheap but efficient. Yea!! You are graphic designer?

the mbp's base model is good enough really. max the rams up...

to me.. its rreally good enough .... think its time for me to ask for a new laptop.. i brought back mine from berlin, and on the flight.. the darn thing went dead..

now..my powerbook sits there... like some piece of super large paper weight... :cry:

sorry to treadstarter for hijacking. i am also doing 3D work from my pc. hoping to switch also. but i have this problem.

mbp can run xp. but can it still run my 3d apps smoothly ? hmm.. not too sure. anyone here runs softwares like alias, rhino, 3dmax from a mbp mac ? :)

sorry to treadstarter for hijacking. i am also doing 3D work from my pc. hoping to switch also. but i have this problem.

mbp can run xp. but can it still run my 3d apps smoothly ? hmm.. not too sure. anyone here runs softwares like alias, rhino, 3dmax from a mbp mac ? :)

If you want to run 3D applications, it's best to run it from Boot Camp.

Are you really running that much 3D software?

I got my heart set on getting a Macbook Pro but would like to hear opinions from you guys b4 making the purchase.

I am deciding between the two 15" models ( I wanted the 17" but it's too heavy and might be difficult to sell if i wanted to upgrade) However looking at the spec for the two 15" models I am not sure whether the $800 difference in price is really worth it and justifiable.

Entry leveL MBP 2.4GHz and Mid range 2.5GHz (not too concern about the Harddisk space) and the difference in Graphics card memo. $800 difference! that's a lot of money

I use the Laptop for my photoshop work and some graphic design stuff and the usual internet and multimedia entertainment, some video work.

I'm thinking the Entry level MBP with Ram upped to 4gb would be more than enough for my usage. What do you guys think and What did/would you guys get??

Thanks

If just doing some video work, the base model with 256mb video ram is enough.

Just max up to 4gb ram for smoother performance.

$800 you can save up to get Applecare and the ram.

Students get around 7% off from apple.com.sg/store

If you want to run 3D applications, it's best to run it from Boot Camp.

Are you really running that much 3D software?

currently i am running either alias/rhino together with 3dmax at any one time :bsmilie:.

hmmm.... i should be getting the mbp. but really need to wait till my salary comes in for this month. which is a week away.

haha....

2.4 is more than sufficient. I would suggest getting more hardisk space though. Mine is a previous gen top of the line 15" and the 160gb is puny once you install final cut studio.

I'm using the previous gen 2.33 with 3 GB on board. I use CS3 and Lightroom. Both run at reasonable speeds. Although I did change out the HD to a 250GB one. You can hook up a large monitor via DVI port to give you more screen space when you work with pictures. I think the 17" one is rather large and heavy. The 15" one is a good choice!

2.4 is more than sufficient. I would suggest getting more hardisk space though. Mine is a previous gen top of the line 15" and the 160gb is puny once you install final cut studio.

yes its more than sufficient. my office pc is also running such a spec. and editing photos are such a breeze...

i guess buying this mbp will prolly retire 2 of my laptops and 1 desktop off my apartment... hahaha.....

so who wanna dead powerbook and a "going to die " acer ? :bsmilie:

and of course a old 2.2ghz pc :bsmilie: (can retire to museum or jurrasic park) :bsmilie:

i think the main diff wld be the gfx card? cause both the ram and hdd can be changed on ur own...
but even the lowest option is still a 256 Nvidia 86** series which is already very decent.
and the CPU chip wise, 2.4 is more than sufficient...
can macs be overclocked btw? anyone knows?

if ure doing photoshopping, the 512mb gfx card and the extra 2" of monitor capable of 1920 by 1200 can be a big help esp if ure doing Large sized works.

Not necessarily, the 256mb 8600GT on my macbook pro is hooked up to a 30" apple display and it works like a breeze. The bigger hardisk is important because while it is possible to change the hardisk yourself, it voids the warranty (unlike ram), and upgrading at the Apple Store costs a bomb.

Not necessarily, the 256mb 8600GT on my macbook pro is hooked up to a 30" apple display and it works like a breeze. The bigger hardisk is important because while it is possible to change the hardisk yourself, it voids the warranty (unlike ram), and upgrading at the Apple Store costs a bomb.

so wait till the warranty is over then... otherwise. hook up a firewire 1tb external hdd...

woooo fast.... relives the load off the actual physical harddisk inside the laptop..

Status
Not open for further replies.