MacBook Pro Always Hang, Prompt Me to Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanqiang1011

Jan 22, 2005
Tiny Red Dot...
www.blitzwerkz.com
Dear all,

I just bought a MacBook Pro (1st Generation), the Sliver version, no the Uni-body. Its an Intel Duo Core with Mac OS X 10.4 I think. During the tryout it seems find but after 30 mins, the MBP will hang there, and always prompt me to press the power button to restart.

Tried reformat the MBP, but halfway thru, the problem persists...

Is it a known issue or something is wrong?

Please help, thanks all.

:cry:

Either power supply problem or RAm problem.

This is a hard disk problem. Very soon your hard disk will crash. I am a former Mac user.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. Using a PowerBook G4 for 6 years with no problems, not even once sent to Apple Centre.

most prob a ram problem.

if you boot from the apple OS DVD think there is a option you can do stress test of the MB, since u are using dvd not the harddisk if it hang think not harddisk problem. HTH

* The C key forces the Mac to start up from a bootable CD-ROM, if one is present, which is useful if something goes wrong with your startup hard disk. This key doesn't work with some older Macs or clones that didn't use Apple CD-ROM drives; they require Command- Shift-Option-Delete instead (see below).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

Did u buy it from someone else or from apple store?

Bought it from a 2nd hand PC shop. The seller did tell him to go home do a full system check with 1 day personal warranty. At first I thought the set should be ok, but now I asked if I send to Apple shop but later find out the set needs repair how, he did not answer my sms. I am not saying he is selling faulty stuffs, maybe it is a problem he did not foresee too. But will call this seller after my shoot today.

My MBP is always hot. I have it on the bed often and this happens when i have it on the bed and im playing video at the same time. It sort of lags for a bit before it comes down with that screen asking to restart.
I to had my RAM upgraded to 4gb but i doubt it is that, It has only started been happening lately.

I had the same problem as u. Only that my hangs during the startup... went to apple service centre and was told that there was previously
a recall for a certain batch of macbook pro which had problem with the graphic card( i wasn't notified about the recall)...mine was bought 2 less than 2 years ago....had it repaired and they had to replace the logic board.

Last edited:
You mean 4GB?

Then yes, we have a problem.

Macs have this innate problem to handle 2x2GB=4GB of ram if it's not from Apple or SGL.

I'm using 2x2GB Kingston without a problem... So don't dismiss 3rd party RAM rightaway. The cost savings are very significant from the so called "proprietary" ram from Apple. But perhaps it's because mine is an older MBP, the series that can "Supports up to 4GB but only able to address 3GB" LOL.

You mean 4GB?

Then yes, we have a problem.

Macs have this innate problem to handle 2x2GB=4GB of ram if it's not from Apple or SGL.

It may not be RAM. I am using 3rd Party 4GB with no prob at all.

>>>Hanqiang, chk (1) your MBP firmware. MBP pre Update 1.0 has heating prob and cause it to hang after running for awhile, and (2) Install SMCfanControl. It helps with the temp.

dan

I had problems with my previous Macbook Pro a year ago... brought down to the Apple Service Centre, and they diagnosed it as a RAM problem. Fortunately it was RAM not sitting securely, so it was easy to rectify. Problem didn't happen for months after I installed the RAM, so I didn't think that was the issue.

So... it's possibly the RAM. Bring it down if it's still under warranty.

before you rule out anything ram related, do a zap ram reset.
Hold on to comd + option PR during boot up....your mac will chime a 2nd time after the bootup, then release.

if problem still persists, you may have a faulty ram.

It is definitely not a power supply problem cause if it were you unit wouldn't hang - it just goes dead.

As for ram, unlikely as all macs start up with a ram test. However a corroded piece can hang the system.

Format the whole system with the DVD booted up.

Don't believe what they tell you about mac's short life span.

I had the same problem as u. Only that my hangs during the startup... went to apple service centre and was told that there was previously
a recall for a certain batch of macbook pro which had problem with the graphic card( i wasn't notified about the recall)...mine was bought 2 less than 2 years ago....had it repaired and they had to replace the logic board.

How much is that repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.