Macbook Pro 17" ... which external Display?

tonychua

Jan 9, 2005
I am getting the Macbook pro 17 inch. The Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) is what i have in mind but it cost $1,448. Any alternative display which is better or less pricey? The guy at the apple store suggest I get the iMac 27. I wonder is the logical? Thank

The reason why you're getting the MBP is cos you need a laptop, so I think the iMac shouldn't be a consideration.

Check out the Dell U2711.

I thought that if I choose the Apple display then an additional $700 i will get a iMac 27. MBP is mainly for travelling purpose. Thank Fragment.

Hi Tony, I have been using Macs for the last 6 years. My favorite combination is to use my MBP 15 inch with a 24 inch Samsung monitor, Apple's Bluetooth keyboard and magic mouse. The Samsung monitor is a fraction of the Mac's monitor and has served me very well and I also got the best of both world, a desktop and a notebook when I need one.

I am planning to get rid of my MBP as I just bought a MB Air 11 inch with 4GB ram. I am replacing my MBP with a 27 inch iMac. Will be using the iMac in my office, MB Air for working/meetings outside the office because after using the Air, the Pro is so very heavy. Needless to say the iPad will only be use for web surfing and for holidays.

Do think about my second options.

Have a nice day.

Thank Chris for your suggestion. Frankly I have already committed to a MBP i7. I am a retiree and my plan is go away (maybe 1 - 3 months) to enjoy me photography, so the MBP is for that purpose. Thinking about it, the weight of my hardwares
(MPB+D3S+Trinity lenses) is going to kill me. At the moment I am using a desktop with Dell WFP2707 27 inch monitor.

Hi Tony, congratulations and am very envious of your retired status. I was supposed to early retire this year but now has to work for another 3 years and hopefully retire in 3 years time at 58. Pity that you have committed to the 17 inch MBP because if your are going to travel extensively, the MBP and your equipments is going to be very, heavy. Better with a MBA and a large 1 TB portable hard disk.

Happy retirement.

I go for early an retirement to pursue my passion (Travel n Photography). Since retirement, which is 2 years ago, I did lots of travelling.
Twice to Europe and at least 10 times to China. Currently spending time with my mother (she is in the advance stage of cancer). When she is gone, I will spend most of my time outside of Singapore. In one week time I will be 59.

My current hardware are Nikon D3S, the full trinity lenses, 50mm 1.4D, 85mm 1.4D, 300mm f4, Carl Zeiss 100mm f2 .2 and 2 x Voigtlander SL 125mm f/2.5 APO-Lanthar. I am so tempted to change to the Leica system but unwillingly to part with my 70-200mm VR2.