Macbook - Print in color

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
Hi

I was previously using my windows based laptop and I can connect wireless to my printer to print.

I've just changed to a Macbook. I am able to connect to printer ( after many phone calls to Fuji Xerox, not very techy person). However, I am only able to print in black and white.

Any gurus whose proficient in mac can advise how to print in color?

Regards

Sim:thumbsup:

Check your print dialogue box under <Copies & Pages>, <Printer Features>, <Feature Sets: Set 2> make sure you've selected "Colour" under Colour Mode. :)

Check your print dialogue box under <Copies & Pages>, <Printer Features>, <Feature Sets: Set 2> make sure you've selected "Colour" under Colour Mode. :)

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I'm a very new mac user. Where to go to copies & pages?

I also called up Fuji Xerox, which linked me all the way to their call center in Shanghai. The lady mentioned for Macbook to print in color, we have to install a hardware into the laptop? It is call Post script? Without that chip, Mac cant print color?:dunno:

Lost.

Thanks Ortega.

I am using Mac version 10.6.4

Am I correct to say I need to install a program so that the printer can read information that the Mac supplies to it so that it can print properly in color?

In terms of programs, what would you recommend? I was reading some sites and come across terms like Bonjour, Gimps, etc.

Lost

basically the macintosh platform speaks postscript printer language to printers
so you will need to have some sort of translator to print to alien printers

my printers are all postscript as i am in the creative industry, so i wont be able to recommend

bonjour is an apple technology
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2250

did you check if there is a Macintosh driver for your printer?
http://www.fujixeroxprinters.com.sg/download/getProductFamily.do?cid=1&langid=en&id=2

Yes, I have installed the driver. The fuji printer is c3000.

I called the Fuji support staff and they remotely access my mac to install the printer driver for me. I am able to print black and white now.

However, like I mentioned previously, the staff said I have to install a chip in my mac to print color. I am confused, how can a mac book at this time and age still need to buy additional hardware to print color?

Thanks bro ortega.

I went to the link and downloaded the file. But there seems to be an error when I opened the file .dmg.part

No application can open that?

I've called and left a voice mail with Fuji Xerox

Hope they can help tomorrow!

Hi

I was previously using my windows based laptop and I can connect wireless to my printer to print.

I've just changed to a Macbook. I am able to connect to printer ( after many phone calls to Fuji Xerox, not very techy person). However, I am only able to print in black and white.

Any gurus whose proficient in mac can advise how to print in color?

Regards

Sim:thumbsup:

Hi Sim

Sorry that I saw this thread so late re your printing problem.

Allow me to explain the situation you are currently facing in an easier way.

You mentioned that your FX printer is the C3000, which I assume is indicated on the machine as a DocuCentre-II C3000.

This is a multifunction printer, and by default it only has a PCL printer board installed. PCL is a type of printing language commonly used in office printers. The printer drivers for Windows has a PCL version.

There is an option to add a second printer board, known as a Postscript board. Postscript is another type of printing language, which is the default used in the creative and print industry. It is especially meant for printing graphics with a high raster resolution. There are also Postscript drivers for Windows.

It would seem that your C3000 doesn't have the Postscript option, as this is a payable option.

The issue you are facing now becomes slightly more complex when you switch to a Mac. PCL is not a language used by Macs, and there is no PCL driver for Macs. There is only Postscript drivers for Mac systems.

As a result, you now have an issue printing, because firstly, your printer doesn't have a Postscript option installed. Secondly, you are now printing with your Mac through the CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) feature, which is an open source printing system developed by Apple for the OS X.

As such, you can't access the "advanced" features of the printer because there is no Postscript driver for the Mac, and you have no Postscript option installed in the printer.

The only way around this is to purchase the Postscript kit for the C3000...but then again, it's an older printer, circa 2006. You will have to check if the kit is still available.

I hope that helps clear up the slight confusion over your issue.

Regards

Hi ClipperSG

Thanks for your reply. It really cleared alot of qs i have in my mind. I believe ur answer is gonna help alot of ppl who google online. Thumbs up!

I have calledthe sales ppl from fuji. He mentioned if i can print b/w, my printer should already have a postscript device installed. If not, i shouldnt be able to print at all, not even b/w.

Anyway he say the device cost between 500-1000 depending on the model. Not sure whether it is worth as im the only mac user in office. If not i would have to manually go to my colleague's machine with a thumb drive containing my files to print in color.

Regards
Terence

Why not just buy a new printer? It will definitely be less than the $500 - $1000, of course depending on your requirements.

Hi ClipperSG

Thanks for your reply. It really cleared alot of qs i have in my mind. I believe ur answer is gonna help alot of ppl who google online. Thumbs up!

I have calledthe sales ppl from fuji. He mentioned if i can print b/w, my printer should already have a postscript device installed. If not, i shouldnt be able to print at all, not even b/w.

Anyway he say the device cost between 500-1000 depending on the model. Not sure whether it is worth as im the only mac user in office. If not i would have to manually go to my colleague's machine with a thumb drive containing my files to print in color.

Regards
Terence

Glad to hear that it clears up some confusion re your situation.

I think the FX sales person is slightly confused himself. All printers can print black and white..its just what language you are going to print in.

Generally, most "office" applications will use PCL as a default because that is very suitable for text printing, where resolution is not an issue. It can process graphics too, just maybe not as faster or better in terms of output.

Postscript was actually known as JaM during its creation at Xerox's PARC. Later the creators left PARC and formed a company...(altogether now)...ADOBE. So for every printer that uses Postscript, a royalty has to be paid to Adobe. That is why Postscript is not a standard option for office multifunction machines.

Why not just buy a new printer? It will definitely be less than the $500 - $1000, of course depending on your requirements.

His current printer is in a different league altogether from a desktop printer. The floor price should be a five figure sum for a 60-month lease.

One of the biggest difference between the desktop printers and a digital printer is the cost per page. The average desktop printer is between $0.08-$0.25, depending on make, model and consumable cost.

The cost per piece of a digital printer is around $0.01-$0.03. On top of that, toner is provided free, together with parts and service, throughout the 60-month lease.