Mac Vs Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

hub_bo

Jul 28, 2006
Hi all, I need some advice.

Some people (like my GP teacher) said that Mac is better than Win mainly because it doesnt crash that easily and it is much faster.

I wish to buy a laptop soon for U, so can anyone give me some advice ?

Thanks =)

Hi all, I need some advice.

Some people (like my GP teacher) said that Mac is better than Win mainly because it doesnt crash that easily and it is much faster.

I wish to buy a laptop soon for U, so can anyone give me some advice ?

Thanks =)

What course are you doing? Get the laptop through the university's package. Cheaper.

What course are you doing? Get the laptop through the university's package. Cheaper.

That's a very good question, I don't know what i want to take :bsmilie: :bsmilie: price is not that much of a prob, I just wan a good (cant afford excellent quality) laptop

Then buy it when your course starts and you know better what you need.

I go for Mac anytime. Its stable for any other stuff. So long as you don't try to be funny on your computer.

Mac for design, production etc.. is always the god among all. :p

so mac is better as it does not crash easily i presume?
One thing that worry me is software incompatibility though

MAC: mostly for entertainment, Design and the WOW factor laptop

When I tell fren dat i have a iBook, they will WOW. :bigeyes:

I got my iBook during my engineering course, this laptop purely for leisure. Have a hard time learning to use this laptop. Dump the Safari for Firefox/Mozilla browser.

Apple come with many pre-loaded software (some are useless & take up a lot of harddisk space). most MAC software work/integrate with the iBook very well, hence not much software issue. furthermore, not many software to load into apple either.

Personally, i find the apple quite robust. No Virus written for MAC/APPLE. don't even need firewall. seems like nobody dare to touch APPLE PC. ;)

Must use the MAC version office though.

they do have many hardware issue too, you can see those problem in the apple website forum. Laptop Crash, etc And the White surface becomes black after some times. :(

If you taking engineering/business/accountant courses, never get a apple laptop! Cannot load MatLab, No MsDOS, No Command Prompt, Office/MAC version not really same as Office/Window, many programs run in window enviroment.

MAC: mostly for entertainment, Design and the WOW factor laptop

When I tell fren dat i have a iBook, they will WOW. :bigeyes:

I got my iBook during my engineering course, this laptop purely for leisure. Have a hard time learning to use this laptop. Dump the Safari for Firefox/Mozilla browser.

Apple come with many pre-loaded software (some are useless & take up a lot of harddisk space). most MAC software work/integrate with the iBook very well, hence not much software issue. furthermore, not many software to load into apple either.

Personally, i find the apple quite robust. No Virus written for MAC/APPLE. don't even need firewall. seems like nobody dare to touch APPLE PC. ;)

Must use the MAC version office though.

they do have many hardware issue too, you can see those problem in the apple website forum. Laptop Crash, etc And the White surface becomes black after some times. :(

If you taking engineering/business/accountant courses, never get a apple laptop! Cannot load MatLab, No MsDOS, No Command Prompt, Office/MAC version not really same as Office/Window, many programs run in window enviroment.

Thanks sooooo much for the information. And for the record I am not intending to take those courses you mentioned, not interested :p

I must frankly say apple design appeal to me, I had been her fan ever since i got my ipod. I tried using ibook once, the only thing that hinder me was not able to rigt mouse click on hyperlinks to c the url... hahahas.

not so prone to virus/worm attack ;)

I would not say no... it is just lesser. That's why mac hardly crash.
Another reason is probably coz Win is a system stack on top of another so is less stable, while Mac de is 1 sys on its own
Mac *does* crash at times, but when it does, it recovers quietly behind the scene. I must admit it doesn't crash the way windows does.

As for being prone to virus, the system architecture is different from the way that a windoze is, the security restrictions do help in a sense or two.

so mac is overall good, just that it is nt user friendly to all ?

so mac is overall good, just that it is nt user friendly to all ?
It's user-friendly IYAM.

Not all users will feel that way because they don't get used to it and they can't find replacement(s) for the application(s) they're so used to in windoze.

There are just more benefits of running Mac than Windoze for even just normal usage(s). My colleague(s) mentioned that there were no games on Mac but in a minute only, they started to enjoy the game I started on my Mac.

It's plain easy to compare and complain, but how much you like something depends on how much 'love' you want to put into it. Just like cameras.

IYAM = ?
anyway , i agree with your point..... I totally love mac, but my friends cant understand why. lol.. i shall have my 1st mac once i save up enough =)

IYAM = ?
anyway , i agree with your point..... I totally love mac, but my friends cant understand why. lol.. i shall have my 1st mac once i save up enough =)
Then just get one. Maybe because I was brought up on UNIX and Linux, using a Mac gave me more freedom and speed when using OS X.

Most of the applications I use on my Mac are free.

The reason why I like my Mac so much (although it is now at AppleCare for repairs due to overheating) is that MacOSX acts like a real servant. You wanna do something? Okay, here it is. And it shuts up about irrelevant stuff. Like "Your USB2.0 Device is ready". Just plug in and get going.

If you are a photographer, you'll appreciate Photoshop CS3 for the Mac even more. Also, who cares about Powerpoint? We've got the much cooler Keynote, easier to use and effects are wow.

If you're concerned about right-clicking, the Mac accepts mice too. All mice work on the mac. Whether you get a MacBook or MacBook Pro depends on your course. If you are not touching graphics, a MacBook will suffice.

The reason why I like my Mac so much (although it is now at AppleCare for repairs due to overheating) is that MacOSX acts like a real servant. You wanna do something? Okay, here it is. And it shuts up about irrelevant stuff. Like "Your USB2.0 Device is ready". Just plug in and get going.

If you are a photographer, you'll appreciate Photoshop CS3 for the Mac even more. Also, who cares about Powerpoint? We've got the much cooler Keynote, easier to use and effects are wow.

If you're concerned about right-clicking, the Mac accepts mice too. All mice work on the mac. Whether you get a MacBook or MacBook Pro depends on your course. If you are not touching graphics, a MacBook will suffice.

But I am also aware that, most people are using microsoft, so... so long you have microsoft software in MAC you wil be fine?

Mac will be more suitable if you are into design, multimedia, interior, photography and architect. I have one PC desktop, one G4 powermac and one ibook.

My PC is for gaming, internet and work. whereby the G4 and ibook is for work only.

Mac are cool machines with sleek design but PC platform also has it advantages.
PC has more softwares you can used (especially games :D )
You have lots and lots of choices and designs to choose from
If you pass your laptop to someone else. Most will know how to use it (cause windows...) Mac OS is also a very user friendly OS. But for new user it may take some time to get use to it.

If you want, you can go visit

http://www.macusersg.org/forums/index.php

Read throught the "macbook and ibook" threads than decide yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.