Mac Vs Win

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAC: mostly for entertainment, Design and the WOW factor laptop

When I tell fren dat i have a iBook, they will WOW. :bigeyes:

I got my iBook during my engineering course, this laptop purely for leisure. Have a hard time learning to use this laptop. Dump the Safari for Firefox/Mozilla browser.

Apple come with many pre-loaded software (some are useless & take up a lot of harddisk space). most MAC software work/integrate with the iBook very well, hence not much software issue. furthermore, not many software to load into apple either.

Personally, i find the apple quite robust. No Virus written for MAC/APPLE. don't even need firewall. seems like nobody dare to touch APPLE PC. ;)

Must use the MAC version office though.

they do have many hardware issue too, you can see those problem in the apple website forum. Laptop Crash, etc And the White surface becomes black after some times. :(

If you taking engineering/business/accountant courses, never get a apple laptop! Cannot load MatLab, No MsDOS, No Command Prompt, Office/MAC version not really same as Office/Window, many programs run in window enviroment.

u sure no need to use firewall? :bigeyes:

for me, i choose windows. i tried using mac b4 for my project work. it works fine. but the very very irritating part is when i need to send these files to my friends, all using windows. there was soooo many incompatibilty issues. and the worse part came when they gave me windows files, which i totally can't run on the mac. in the end, totally given up, i slowly rebuilt my project in windows.

i would say it is like choosing between iriver and ipod. iriver is a great MP3 player, greater than ipod, but when it come to buying accesories, ipod win hands down. so, the question you might want to ask is, "do i need such a good MP3 player and sacrifice the expandibility of the system?". (not that apple is such a great computer, but since you guys put it so, so be it.)

for me, i choose windows. i tried using mac b4 for my project work. it works fine. but the very very irritating part is when i need to send these files to my friends, all using windows. there was soooo many incompatibilty issues. and the worse part came when they gave me windows files, which i totally can't run on the mac. in the end, totally given up, i slowly rebuilt my project in windows.

i would say it is like choosing between iriver and ipod. iriver is a great MP3 player, greater than ipod, but when it come to buying accesories, ipod win hands down. so, the question you might want to ask is, "do i need such a good MP3 player and sacrifice the expandibility of the system?". (not that apple is such a great computer, but since you guys put it so, so be it.)

agreed with u on this.... especially if the projects are compiling windows code and into .EXE files ...

so far, the only thing i dun like about Mac is the Finder, after using Mac for 2 years plus, i still like Explorer. AS i dun like Finder, i go and download things like XFolders, muCommander.

Mac is better than Win mainly because it doesnt crash that easily and it is much faster.

Faster, yes! Doesn't crash that easily, I don't think so. The G5s in my office crash almost every week. Can any Mac Wiz explain this phenomenon?

Ok, here is the strange thing.... The Windows-based PCs at our accounting and business department seldom crash.

agreed with u on this.... especially if the projects are compiling windows code and into .EXE files ...

so far, the only thing i dun like about Mac is the Finder, after using Mac for 2 years plus, i still like Explorer. AS i dun like Finder, i go and download things like XFolders, muCommander.
.EXE, .DLL are all MS proprietary standard for the windoze platform.

There are a lot of applications that run dual platforms using Java Swing/AWT.

As for getting used to finder, you only use your Mac for leisure purposes, of course you won't get used to it. Next you're going to tell me your trackpad only has 1 mouse button.

One have to differentiate crashing/hanging of applications and the crashing of the Operating System.

Crashing/hanging of applications is the fault of application. Not the operating system. Most of the time, this is not fatal and the process causing the problem can be terminated without affecting the rest.

OS crashes in Windows have been largely reduced. And most of the time, it is third parties drivers that causes it.

Why are there more crashes in Windows?
1) Because of the large number of applications/devices available for Windows. It is not because Windows is poorly design.
2) It tries to offer more features. If Windows only offer command prompt, I'm sure a lot of problem will go away.

Why are there are more viruses and security incident in Windows?
1) Because of its popularity, not because Windows is less secure. Most virus authors or hackers will design something that will affect a huge population.
2) Windows developers are more readily available because there are more market for Windows programmers. Documentations, APIs, forum discussions/support etc. are more mature. Hence it is easier to get a virus working for Windows.

Conclusion:
1) there are more viruses/security loopholes (being discovered) for Windows. But the reason is because it is more popular and not because it sucks more then Mac OS.
2) if you choose Windows, you'll have more options of software and features (whether you need or like them). There are also less compatibility issues (file sharing with others).
3) application crashes are the fault of application developers. These are largely contained in both OS ie. they seldom affects the rest of the processes running.
4) OS crashes had been largely reduced in Windows. I'm not sure about Mac. I'm sure most people can live with it if they are not running life critical applications.

If I could turn back time, I would never had bought my mac. All my softwares that cost me a bomb cant work on Mac. My company's web site is not supported by Mac OS. Haiz..worst is ppl tells me speed is fast.. but my macbook dual core works slower than my antique P4 1.2Ghz PC with only 512Mb ram.

Now my Mac is used mainly by my Kids for surfing the net, like they says, less virus attacks and stable.

These comments are purely from my own experience.

end user problem. i exchange files and docs with my friends without any problems.

end user problem. i exchange files and docs with my friends without any problems.

i believe the same argument goes to those who keeps having windows crashing all the time.

but seriously, it is so irritating when games like WoW or Genrals cannot be shared. i used mac for a short period, and it was so fustrating when i totally can't exchange any programs and games with my friends. it is like my friends having PS3 while i have a gamecube(just an analogy), totally cannot share games.

so practical-wise, i think windows is still better. but if macs becomes popular, and most people in my social circle uses macs, then i will jump to apple. for now, windows has gave me much more ease and productivity.

crashes are mainly due to driver incompatibilty....and of course programmer problem :bsmilie:

actually, now that you said it, i suddenly did noticed about the main cause of the crashes in my PC now. and gosh, it was indeed driver problems, in every one of those error message reporting report(which appears when my pc crashes), i always noticed the report contains some words and phrases about AGP and other graphics card related terms.

cool.... why didn't i noticed this trend last time?:embrass:

haha, you have indirectly found the cause my problem.:bsmilie: hmmm, when i go back singapore, maybe i try updating the graphics driver.

FYI

A simple MacBook can be from S$ 1889/- onward depends on the config. It is quite a good config for a start.

Thanks

Precisely.
Been a mac user for 7years.
I realised mac finder isn't that good as win explorer.

The other thing is the mighty mouse.....i dun find it mighty at all, the miserable nipple scrolling function.

Still sticking with my logitech mouse for mac.

:p :think: :p

FYI

A simple MacBook can be from S$ 1889/- onward depends on the config. It is quite a good config for a start.

Thanks

A simple PC laptop cost less than $1k ....$999.
Quite good for simple surfing, office application, daily usage.

:p :rolleyes: :p

Precisely.
Been a mac user for 7years.
I realised mac finder isn't that good as win explorer.

The other thing is the mighty mouse.....i dun find it mighty at all, the miserable nipple scrolling function.

Still sticking with my logitech mouse for mac.

:p :think: :p

the next thing you know, windows can be installed in macs.:bsmilie: by then, i would use macs , cos i like their white outer design.

A simple PC laptop cost less than $1k ....$999.
Quite good for simple surfing, office application, daily usage.

:p :rolleyes: :p

hmmm... tell me where to find a similar spec PC laptop for $1k leh.... if so cheap i also wanna buy leh... hehehe...

the next thing you know, windows can be installed in macs.:bsmilie: by then, i would use macs , cos i like their white outer design.

Refering to boot camp?
The only reason i use WIN in mac is to play games.

Let's wait for the new leopard and Vista this year.
See the pros and cons.

;) :) ;)

erm... now u can already install win xp on a mac liao lar... using bootcamp or virtual machines like parrallel... :)

hmmm... tell me where to find a similar spec PC laptop for $1k leh.... if so cheap i also wanna buy leh... hehehe...

Simliar Specs?
Actually depending what is your usage.

I don't understand why people wasting money for a MacPro book just to do office applications, download mp3, surfing internet....kinda waste of money.

Unless rich people dun say lah.. everything is peanut.

Just back from Sim Lim..... Acer laptop brand new $999.
Go and check it out.

:p :lovegrin: :p

Status
Not open for further replies.