Mac Vs Pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

drOick

Nov 16, 2006
Rivervale Link
www.snaphat.blogspot.com
I did a search regarding laptops for photo editing and the majority of clubsnap members prefer the Macbook Pro. I am inclined to getting the Mac book pro because of it's design, the reputation, screen quality and the fact that it does not crash as often as a PC.

However, I've come across the following laptops which are not only cheaper, lighter but have better specs than the macbook pros. I'm pretty sure the Mac club snap members did their research and have come across laptops like the ones below. So why did they go with the Mac despite the better specs? Does the Mac have something more than what the specs offers?

( note: Prices for 1,2 are student prices)

1)
14.1 inch WXGA display Fujitsu LifeBook 6520WS

Price : S$1,938.00
2.53GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8700
4GB DDR3 1066MHz
320GB SATA HDD
Dual Layer Super Multi Writer (DVD+ R/RW/RAM)
Approximately 1.7kg

2)
14.1 inch WXGA display Lenovo ThinkPad T400

Price : S$1,599.00 (S$1,710 w/GST)

2.53GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8700
4GB DDR3 1066MHz
320GB SATA HDD
Dual Layer Super Multi Writer (DVD+ R/RW/RAM)
Approximately 1.9kg

3) Macbook Pro 13"
Price: S$ 2,147.99 incl. GST
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Approximately 2.0kg

Note*** with a mac you're not paying for the tech specs. from my own experience, I've been using both for about 10 years.. and the crashing thing with the PC is becoming a gimmick. my mac crashes as much as my pc does which is very very rarely. but loading times and responsiveness is far better in a mac, but this is pretty much reason enough to get one! haha cheers mate. I did find the MBP screen a bit dim though, you might wanna check that out.

The truth that no-one wants to really admit is that it really doesn't matter which platform you buy. They both have there pro's and cons and the advertising of each is simply perpetuating myths that no longer exist to try to score points.

They both crash, they both are open to malware and viruses, they both issues critical updates and patches regularly. They both have all the software you need to library, edit, catgorize store and if you buy an ext. HDD to back-up your files easily.

So buy what your budget will bear. Get the biggest screen you can afford, it makes it easier to see the photos you are editing, and always buy as much RAM as you can, if you want to be happy. Other than that simply buy the one you like the look and feel of, since they are all that close in specs it really is a matter of style and preference.

If you already have a PC then your software will transfer over (for the most part), if you are starting fresh then really its a matter of $$$. Of course it is true that there are more games available for a PC, if you want to do something other than photography and surf Clubsnap with your buy but this too is changing.

It really doesn't matter, both platforms do all the same things and do them well, if in a slightly different way or with slightly differing set of "clicks", but he important thing is that they all do the same thing and in the major software packages the interfaces are almost identical.

So buy what you think looks good...but the secret to computing happiness is BUY MORE RAM.

Ohhh and before the MAC addicts out there attack me for being pro-PC, I have both types of computers and use both regulalry.

if u cant decide,just get the macbook and install vista/xp through boot camp?heard from some that windows runs faster on macs and u can even use mac os x side by side with windows by using a software called parallel.
personally im a windows user but once i save up im gona do the above.

i understand ure talking about the specs and prices though, just a suggestion.

details here : http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

3) Macbook Pro 13"
Price: S$ 2,147.99 incl. GST
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Approximately 2.0kg

Academic price for this MBP is $1,848.
You won't regret getting a Mac! :D

erm that model u choose is abt the same as the new unibody plastic macbook which would be a fairer comparison with the other brands. Furthermore as u say student price already, which for other brands are heavily discounted. Must compare against st price marhz.

Mac and windows both have their own 'exclusive programme'
Mac have software like aperture, FinalCut, etc.

My impression for Mac is that it is more for video editing, and stuff like that as I know some schools(POLY AND UNI) requires their student to buy a mac for that reason.

Recently, I visited the University Scholars Programme branch in NUS. They have this whole room filled with Mac Pro. I asked them why Mac Pro. They told me it's easier to work with.
I am not sure about that, just reflecting what I heard.

The 2 OSes are very similar nowadays....

Mac is about user experience. It is designed for a niche market of users who like its taste. If you like it then using the operating system alone is as much satisfying as playing a blockbuster video game. People who advocates the superiority of Mac do genuinely have good experience with the Mac OS because they fortunately belong to the target of what the system is designed for. The Mac machine is not designed for everyone but a segment of the whole computer market.

I have had experience with Windows since the 3.x era. It has changed, improved but some of the fundamental principles do not change as technology improves. For example Windows will always be one design for all users which means everyone has to compromise a little.

Newer versions of Windows allow branded PC markers to customize the OS to certain degree such as incorporating one button system recovery and facial recognition functions, however the user experience does not vary from one brand to another significantly which means it is still one design for all users rather than designed for a particular group of people.

For Mac adopters there is always a risk that you will find yourself not belonging to its target market and having a completely unpleasant user experience after purchase. That being said, if you belong to the niche market of what mac is designed for the experience will be a lot better than Windows. I guess this is one of the reasons Mac stores allow patrons to try out their machines as much as they want without the constant harassment of a salesperson one would experience at a typical PC store. And if you unfortunately find that Mac os is not for you, you can still install Windows and use Mac like a PC. So it's worth a try.

For photography editing Mac is definitely better. One simple evidence--photoshop boots within 5 seconds with Mac os on a 2.4 core duo.

This is the introduction of Mac OS X by Steve Jobs in 2000, way ahead of Windows 7
Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4V3G4NqII&feature=related
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-fkYFV7rOY&feature=related
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GkoAa5718Y&feature=related

You can see from the above videos how important user experience is in Mac os development, if you find that user experience suits you. One important thing you would notice is that the CEO of Apple Steve Jobs really likes Mac OS for its user experience unlike Bill Gates quit his uni because he didn't want to miss the window of opportunity to capture as large a market as possible.

Last edited:
i think both are fine.

it is like camera, you choose what you like.

in my case, i won't mind trying a mac, main drawing factor is that their screens are gorgeous. the prettiness factor doesn't really matter to me, i just need something tough that can withstand abuse. never mind about OS or not, if you keep a clean ship on your pc, it will not crash. my laptop has crashed maybe twice on me.

the main issue against having a mac for me, is that i have many programs that can only run on a pc. and i do more than just photoshoppery, so specs count for me as much as photo processing utility. that said, a lot of people just get it for the cool factor, and following the crowd. just like cameras. people on clubsnap say that xxx brand is best, so i follow.

learn to decide for yourself. any modern processor that isn't a bad processor, 4gb of ram and decently sized hard disk will not have any problem for a good photo editing experience.

i have a 4 year old pc desktop, a 10 year old mac desktop and a 1 year old macbook
my main computer is still my 10 year old mac desktop

it refuses to die and still does what it is suppose to do
i do not need to load an anti-virus application
i do not need to do defrags

btw i have used computers when the screens were all green

note: safari 4 does not work well with online gov payments
and i heard that online share trading too

note: safari 4 does not work well with online gov payments
and i heard that online share trading too

try enabling the "develop" menu in the advanced preferences, and set "user agent" to one of the "IE" settings. it helps get past some of the gov sites like road tax payments.

both mac and pc can crash due to faulty device drivers, but generally windows machines tend to get slower over time and as you and more and more applications. you will not need to reorganize or defragment your mac drives as often (or if ever) as you would for windows.

there are a lot less viruses, worms and other malware for mac. in fact i think viruses like almost none. but that doesn't mean you can be gung ho. for now you can get by without any antivirus programs, but you still have to be cautious about where you download stuff from.

what i love about using a mac is there are lots of things you can do without having to buy additional software. for example, you can create a pdf file from almost any application that supports printing. you can even do combine or delete pages from different pdf files.

what i don't like about windows is the way they throw all the eggs into 1 basket and store a lot of settings in a central registry file. a lot of bad things happen when the registry gets corrupted. and if you have the need to reinstall the OS, you would have to reinstall most, if not all, of the applications. on a mac, unless you did an erase and install, almost all the applications will work without needing to be reinstalled. so far i only know of photoshop that needs to be reinstalled.

if you are the type who likes to tinker with the inner guts of a computer, then go with a windows pc. if you prefer to let sit back and let the computer do the work for you, then get a mac.

try enabling the "develop" menu in the advanced preferences, and set "user agent" to one of the "IE" settings. it helps get past some of the gov sites like road tax payments.

done and just renewed my road tax
thanks for the reminder, almost missed the deadline :sweat:

Hey madmacs - this works. Thanks a million.I normally have to zip back and forth between my PC and Mac when faced with this problem.

Back to the topic. I am a PC user for many, many years. Moved to the Mac last year and I must say that I am pretty pleased with it. I am slowly migrating over but need my PC for some PC only apps - Access database, Frontpage and till 5 minutes ago, accessing some web apps. And yeah, I also need to keep abreast with the PC as I do support for various organisations. If you compare $ to $, you could probably get a better performing PC. However, the usability of the Mac is something that need to be experienced to really understand it.

Use linux then
seldom crash

mac = overpriced apple care ($600+) + patch fee (10.5.4->10.5.5) + overpriced parts?
pc = best parts @ cheap cost + buggy windows + cheap extended warranty

Use linux then
seldom crash

mac = overpriced apple care ($600+) + patch fee (10.5.4->10.5.5) + overpriced parts?
pc = best parts @ cheap cost + buggy windows + cheap extended warranty

what patch fee are you referring to? fee or free? 10.5.4->10.5.5 is free but 10.5 to 10.6 is not.

if u cant decide,just get the macbook and install vista/xp through boot camp?heard from some that windows runs faster on macs and u can even use mac os x side by side with windows by using a software called parallel.
personally im a windows user but once i save up im gona do the above.

i understand ure talking about the specs and prices though, just a suggestion.

details here : http://www.apple.com/macosx/compatibility/

Eh ... I don't see why Windows run faster on Mac. All Macs are using Intel CPU now so there's no diff in the hardware as with any Win laptops out there.

I run Windows in Parallels. Use it as an alternative to run Win software without using Bootcamp to reboot. However, don't expect great performance as it is a virtual machine after all. Parallels isn't very good, often crashes. I haven't tried VMWare but I had good experience with VMWare on Windows.

I think Mac being an UNIX OS, has better memory management. I recently upgraded my Win PC Core2Duo 2.13 Ghz to 2.93 Ghz. Adobe Lightroom 2.5 only showed some improvement in the responsiveness. However, my Macbook Pro on Core2Duo 2.4 Ghz is just as fast as the Win PC. Same amount of 4GB DDR2-667 RAM in both machines.

what patch fee are you referring to? fee or free? 10.5.4->10.5.5 is free but 10.5 to 10.6 is not.

yes, i meant 10.5 -> 10.6 even though they didn't change much in something that's already very stable

Status
Not open for further replies.