mac users vs pc users

mac or pc?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
short of changing the mainboard, i have upgraded the cpu, video card, ram, hdd, hdd controller card of my powermac g3 which i got in 1998. still possible to run edit video in imovie on it. :p

:think: I know the G3 can do that, got a few friends who ventured into this realm... but i'm wondering the new mac pro can do it as well :think:

Sadly.. the mainboard and PSU are the stuff that i'm looking out whether its user-replaceable rather than depending on that sole entity up there to provide 1 when they feel like it.

:think: I know the G3 can do that, got a few friends who ventured into this realm... but i'm wondering the new mac pro can do it as well :think:

sure...why not? those parts are still industry standard. cpu is from intel now so even easier. some site successfully replaced the dual core cpu with quad core cpu also.

Sadly.. the mainboard and PSU are the stuff that i'm looking out whether its user-replaceable rather than depending on that sole entity up there to provide 1 when they feel like it.

if the mainboard functioning well, you wont have to replace it right? :bsmilie:

Aiyo, I buy a comp so that I can do my work, and I dun want to worry about having to change parts all the time la, why would I, just a normal user want to do that?

Thus, in this aspect, I'd still think that a Mac gives me better value for money, as any latest software/hardware are usually backward compatible. Take the OS for example, whether it is OS9, OSX Cheetah/Panther/Tiger/Leopard, I can go to bed soundly, knowing that all my hardware and peripherals will still be supported.

I'm to computer, just like many of thos PnS camera users la: I dun want to know how the camera works, so long as it takes pics for me!

you can always buy rack mount macs

indexrack_20060807.jpg

sure...why not? those parts are still industry standard. cpu is from intel now so even easier. some site successfully replaced the dual core cpu with quad core cpu also.

I agree now it would seem very tempting since its a stock CPU from intel. But its stuff like the PSU i'm worried about being at a later point in time "not enough" ...

if the mainboard functioning well, you wont have to replace it right? :bsmilie:

True.. but then if there's a replacement mobo in future which i can obtain BUT doesn't fit .. :rolleyes:

hah lah....you using those few hundred $$$ casing that dun belong to you right? :sweatsm:

Erh .. no leh :sticktong

you can always buy rack mount macs

indexrack_20060807.jpg

I wishhh ... :lovegrin: looking at the racks @ the cineleisure Club21 ... i'm already poisoned... can stand there and gawk for hours :bsmilie: :embrass:

Aiyo, I buy a comp so that I can do my work, and I dun want to worry about having to change parts all the time la, why would I, just a normal user want to do that?

Thus, in this aspect, I'd still think that a Mac gives me better value for money, as any latest software/hardware are usually backward compatible. Take the OS for example, whether it is OS9, OSX Cheetah/Panther/Tiger/Leopard, I can go to bed soundly, knowing that all my hardware and peripherals will still be supported.

I'm to computer, just like many of thos PnS camera users la: I dun want to know how the camera works, so long as it takes pics for me!

We PC users are a compliacted/fussy bunch :bsmilie:

:eek: as of now, 8.25pm, "Mac Users" are leading "PC Users" by 2?

:eek: as of now, 8.25pm, "Mac Users" are leading "PC Users" by 2?

Hmm... how about

:eek: there are only 74 mac AND pc users?

The rest are using Unix/Linux?

PC users simply can't be bothered by such polls. Only mac users are so enthusiastic in "confirming" they have the best. They need to constantly reassure each other.

Hmm... how about

:eek: there are only 74 mac AND pc users?

The rest are using Unix/Linux?

PC users simply can't be bothered by such polls. Only mac users are so enthusiastic in "confirming" they have the best. They need to constantly reassure each other.
this is a poll of the number of mac/pc users who happen to pass by this thread and voted. nothing to do with "best" or whatnots. don't know why you see it this way.

i'm really surprised there's an equal number of users for both!:what:

Well, I'm not surprised and I don't think that the poll accurately reflects the number of Mac and PC users, and I believe that there are more PC users out there.

As someone mentioned that only Mac users are enthusisatically 'defending' their machines here, I think there's some truth in it la.

However, I don't think that it is becos Mac users need to reassure ourselves of our purportedly more superior machine. Superior machines, the Mac is not.

Like I said, the Mac is not just about the machine, it is a culture that we've all been imbibed into, and it is not just style, but lifestyle that we've bought into that comes witht eh purchase of the Mac.

As for PC users, well, I don't think they have a culture like the Mac does, and to them, is just another computer, and nothing much to talk about except about the latest, the fastest, the biggest, the best-test. In another words, there's no brand allegiance.

The Mac is not just about the computers, the hardware or the software. It is about the philosophy of the ease of use, of its simplicity, of being innovative and creative, things that can transpire through to one's living.

Now, that's the marketing success of the Mac.

Just like McDonald's. They dun sell you just burgers and chips, but a kind of lifestyle as well. Something that is being recognised by the coffee culture that we see in Starbuck and Coffeebean.

Kenny

I guess even with boot camp, Some applications is still better run in a PC windows environment.

And people who are in the mist of switching to mac will still retain to windows for some applications which will be better runned in windows

i didnt respond to the poll because i have both..

i have a PC for gaming and heavy duty photo processing.. macbook for surfing, travel, on the go photo processing and a thinkpad for work.

i love the interface and easy of use of the mac... its just being an avid gamer etc, i cannot make the switch 100%. plus a good fast powerful PC for DVD encoding and photoshop work is much cheaper than the mac equivalents. PCs also more easily upgradeable. for as longas things stay like this i will probably continue to run mac and pcs.

The Mac looks like an eye candy, but it is really meant for serious business....

The PC looks dull and business like, but many, like myself, buy it to play games. :p

I guess even with boot camp, Some applications is still better run in a PC windows environment.

And people who are in the mist of switching to mac will still retain to windows for some applications which will be better runned in windows

ah? i think you've got Boot Camp mixed up with emulation software like Parallels?

Windows on a Boot-Camped Intel Mac is a 100% PC Windows environment. The hardware is exactly the same, whether you run OSX or WinXP/Vista on your Mac. i even managed to run a disc-based Ubuntu on it.

The Mac looks like an eye candy, but it is really meant for serious business....

The PC looks dull and business like, but many, like myself, buy it to play games. :p

lol true, true.. i'm like that

Status
Not open for further replies.