Mac User qn: iPhoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizz

Jun 7, 2004
Tampines
www.nizanharon.com
Hi all

Just wondering...do the mac users here use iPhoto to manage your images, or do you use other applications?

I feel it's a great app, but once I start manipulating them like adding borders etc for slide show presentation, it becomes quite a hassle to manage.

If you're using other apps, would love to hear abt them too.

Cheers!

Nizz

Nizz said:
Hi all

Just wondering...do the mac users here use iPhoto to manage your images, or do you use other applications?

I feel it's a great app, but once I start manipulating them like adding borders etc for slide show presentation, it becomes quite a hassle to manage.

If you're using other apps, would love to hear abt them too.

Cheers!

Nizz

for me, I'm using iPhoto for presentation but for checking and management of pics, I'm using ACDSee for Mac. Still too used to Windows I guess.

One thing though, ACDSee still not very good for MAC as it's not as developed as the Window's version.

You may want to try out PhotoGridX oso... http://www.versiontracker.com/php/c...by=releaseDate&dir=descending&perPage=20&pg=5

i dont like iphoto. i use photoshop cs for editing and nikon view for presentations.

Hi all

Thx for the replies.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear....
Yes I use photoshop to do the editing and all....no issue there....plus there's no other way to do it but Photoshop way, ain't it? Haha..

But my issue is with managing your library of images.

From the replies so far, I presume most will just import images into iPhoto only when you want to use it for presentations. Otherwise...Nikon PictureProject? ACDSee?

Cheers!
Nizz

Nizz said:
Hi all

Thx for the replies.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear....
Yes I use photoshop to do the editing and all....no issue there....plus there's no other way to do it but Photoshop way, ain't it? Haha..

But my issue is with managing your library of images.

From the replies so far, I presume most will just import images into iPhoto only when you want to use it for presentations. Otherwise...Nikon PictureProject? ACDSee?

Cheers!
Nizz

well you could customs lots of things in photoshop and making a border and pasting in every image, its just how you want to work around it, other wise what is lacking in photoshop that you might want to use?

I think what Nizz meant is the normal organisation of pics on the MAC.

like management before editing in PS (the Browser built into PS is good oso just that it's alittle troublesome to having to open the app to access the browser)

Try PhotoMechanic... not badz

iPhoto is great for presentation... I actually use it to catalog all my websize images.

In the near future, it will be support virtually all raw format and editing as well.

As for real image/asset management, I suggest you use application like iView Media Pro, Photo Mechanic, or the soon to be released FotoStation X. Others are QPict and FR-PhotoStudio, etc..

Editing wise, there's C1 range of products, DPP/EOS Viewer, Nikon View/Capture, PS CS, etc..

If you need consultation on proper Mac workflow, or management, do contact me in PM.

Mmmmm, grateful if any mac_CSnappers can comment between
iPhoto5, iview Media Pro and Photo Mechanic.

I am leaning towards iView for a good mix of ease of use and power.

iPhoto is a bit slow for import and hungry for disk space (potential bloatware??)

PhotoMechanic is good but quite complex.

Any comments?

I have found another utility, Photoreviewer, written
by Stick software.
Looks like a simple and relevant utility to help sort/ cull
images before cataloging.

But the image rotate function may cause some issues??
Anyone tried it and satisfied with it?

iphoto is nice for slideshow...but got to import and create slideshow very troublesome...why they cant just display the slideshow of all the pic in a specific folder...

i want something for quick preview of photo, like ACDSee for windows

but some of the apps i tried are too slow...

1) Mmmm, i last checked, Picasa not avail in mac leh....
2) Yeah, I also feel that iPhoto import is really slow.

I am thinking using a simple utility (e.g. Photoreviewer, ViewIt) to
sort, select, cull the jpegs. downsized and copy to iphoto for cataloging.
I.e. for future image searching, use iPhoto with low-res images.
If need to edit, use original.

Another way is to bite the bullet and buy iView or Photo Mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.