Mac Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftone

Nov 1, 2008
I am looking for a new computer for family and work use; and recently got an offer for a Mac Pro with the following specs for under 4k. I wonder if it is worthwhile to get it since I already have the monitor and keyboard from older desktops.

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors
2GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics with 256MB memory
320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
16x double-layer SuperDrive

I do run a lot of CS3 and LR2 for large image files and I am looking for something to last me for a while. Hope to get some useful opinions here. Thank you.

For the 2D work that you will be doing, this configuration of Mac Pro should last you for quite a while. Personally, i will recommend the following (if possible)

1. Grab more memory (4GB as a benchmark to start off will be good, more in time to come). Please note it is ECC DDR2 memory, not your usual DDR2 in case you might not know.
2. Change video card to a better one if there is an option. Else, this video card is still good to last for say... 1-2 years?

Pardon me for guessing but are you getting a refurbished?

If so, try checkout this deal over here.
Most important thing is you can purchase 2 years of extended warranty as it is still within the 1st year warranty period. That is more important actually.
The saving of having a brand new set is quite a lot and those saving can go to upgrading the memory and get yourself more HDD to store.
Of cos choice is up to you. I would go with that and maybe see a saving of few hundreds to a thousand if you manage to close that deal.

By the way, i have to declare that i am not related to the person who is selling that set at all nor do i stand a gain out of it. Just helping a fellow mac user when i can.

Enjoy your shopping! :sweatsm:

I don't agree with some of the aspects of being expensive. It is in fact a good investments to get mac pro especially if you are doing intensive post production on imaging ,etc...

You can in fact get third party rams with no issues. Y? Mac is now in the same intel family. No more the IBM issues like the G5 . In fact i use a kingston brand ram on my imac with no issues.

Secondly, You can in fact use windows on a mac with no issues and work just like a pc - software issues solved.

Thirdly, you can check with apple on graphic card supported by mac. Due to the transition to intel processors by apple. We are seeing increasing support from manufacturers wanting to support apple hardwares.

Lastly, Spend more but pay less on hardware issues. Apple products are proven to last since they standardize their hardware no like windows manufacturers who just can't agree with each other. All come with different standards. But mac is just a mac. One for one.

Hope this help you in your decision. By the way remember to get a applecare protection.

Agreed, the issue with Macs being more expensive is a moot point.

The value of the mac also 'depreciates' less over the years as they are still stable.

I'm an avid mac user and would welcome you to pm me any questions you may have.
=)

I do agree with tchoonyong. The price is indeed more expensive than any normal windows base desktop, however if u assemble a same specification at sim lim square i believe the price will be comparable. Do note that the processor on the mac pro is a "Dual quad core xeon processor" such processor are more expensive than the normal processor in the windows based desktop.

And i dont agree with the problem of upgrade on the mac pro. I am using an Imac and Macbook pro with 3rd party RAM. In the first place, apple doesn't manufacture RAM, harddisk, graphics card so why is it difficult to upgrade?

Mac OS X is way better than windows vista, xp!!!! So i think if u can afford Mac Pro is the way to go

The cost of ownership for a mac may seem high compared to a x86 system. But in the long term, the maintenance cost, workflow benefits, and native 64bit platform will save you more in the long run. Of course, that's if your mac doesn't screw up because prices for repair are not worth it unless it's under warranty.

A PC on the other hand is cheaper to own, more accessible, but the lack of 64bit and the need to do plenty of updates and maintenance for a system vulnerable to spyware and virus might be more costly for some where time is money.

I am looking for a new computer for family and work use; and recently got an offer for a Mac Pro with the following specs for under 4k. I wonder if it is worthwhile to get it since I already have the monitor and keyboard from older desktops.

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors
2GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics with 256MB memory
320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
16x double-layer SuperDrive

I do run a lot of CS3 and LR2 for large image files and I am looking for something to last me for a while. Hope to get some useful opinions here. Thank you.

It will last you for a very long time. Nowadays, not a lot of software can utilize this tremendous amount of processing power.

You might want to get 4GB ram in your system.

Mac desktops (not imac) can easily last you for 5 years. My G5 twin processor was my main workstation since 2004. Just got a mac pro. Ram is very ex though. Not regular ram. Server class.

Thanks for all the input. I guess the hidden cost would in the RAM and the video card (if I ever decide to change the original one). I tried looking up HWZ price guides on the RAM, but the terms mean gibberish to me. Does anyone have a recommendation on how much 4gb of ram would set me back by? Thank you.

Thanks for all the input. I guess the hidden cost would in the RAM and the video card (if I ever decide to change the original one). I tried looking up HWZ price guides on the RAM, but the terms mean gibberish to me. Does anyone have a recommendation on how much 4gb of ram would set me back by? Thank you.

No need to change the video card since you won't be using OpenGL acceleration most of the time. Ram would set you back approx $500 for 4GB FB DIMM. You can get them at Memory World~
Or online from OWC

Last edited:
You can in fact get third party rams with no issues. Y? Mac is now in the same intel family. No more the IBM issues like the G5 . In fact i use a kingston brand ram on my imac with no issues.

Secondly, You can in fact use windows on a mac with no issues and work just like a pc - software issues solved.

Thirdly, you can check with apple on graphic card supported by mac. Due to the transition to intel processors by apple. We are seeing increasing support from manufacturers wanting to support apple hardwares.

Lastly, Spend more but pay less on hardware issues. Apple products are proven to last since they standardize their hardware no like windows manufacturers who just can't agree with each other. All come with different standards. But mac is just a mac. One for one.

you seems contradicting yourself. you said Apply is using intel now and more manufacturer started to Apple hardware. then you said Windows manufacturer cant agree on one standard? the reason why there are more manufacturer support for current Apple computer is obviously due to intel--so who were using intel CPU before that? Windows OS! PCI, USB, PCI-E, SATA, DDR, DDR2/3, AGP.....the list goes on, who use them before Apple? Wintel machine! so what do you mean no standard in PC? in fact the majority of apple's hardware "standard" comes from Wintel. cause if Apple choose not to like they did, their computer would be hugely more expensive then PC.

as for long lasting, I still have a few pentium & Pentium II machine running perfectly, these are at least 10 years old

The cost of ownership for a mac may seem high compared to a x86 system. But in the long term, the maintenance cost, workflow benefits, and native 64bit platform will save you more in the long run. Of course, that's if your mac doesn't screw up because prices for repair are not worth it unless it's under warranty.

A PC on the other hand is cheaper to own, more accessible, but the lack of 64bit and the need to do plenty of updates and maintenance for a system vulnerable to spyware and virus might be more costly for some where time is money.

brush up your knowledge before you comments, pls. PC had 64bit way back in 2003, about the same as apple.

every computer system is vulnerable to spyware and virus, just a matter of more or less. with the >80% of computer user using PC, its logical for the hacker to target their attack for the most impact. and system maintenance is the way to keep every computer at its top condition, just like tidying your workplace. dont blame the construction contractor if you can't bother to maintain your office/home.

you seems contradicting yourself. you said Apply is using intel now and more manufacturer started to Apple hardware. then you said Windows manufacturer cant agree on one standard? the reason why there are more manufacturer support for current Apple computer is obviously due to intel--so who were using intel CPU before that? Windows OS! PCI, USB, PCI-E, SATA, DDR, DDR2/3, AGP.....the list goes on, who use them before Apple? Wintel machine! so what do you mean no standard in PC? in fact the majority of apple's hardware "standard" comes from Wintel. cause if Apple choose not to like they did, their computer would be hugely more expensive then PC.

as for long lasting, I still have a few pentium & Pentium II machine running perfectly, these are at least 10 years old

I guess what tchoonyong was implying that Apple strictly controls specific hardware /software protocols in their system, which is why you hardly get third party vendors making Apple compatible computers. On the other side, the x86 systems are open to suppliers to modify a basic hardware design. Here you get the various enthusiast/budget/extreme over-clocking mainboard and graphic card vendors, which while is great for those in the know, those other people who do not dabble deeply into DIY systems often are lost at the massive choice of components! This is where user ignorance results in many complaining of incompatible hardware conflicts.

Now to TS, if you are getting a MacPro, do note that fully buffered DIMM rams are required. Not SODIMMs like the iMacs ya. Those imac rams are dirt cheap, but FBDIMMs are still pricey, though I may be wrong since I haven't updated myself on that.

brush up your knowledge before you comments, pls. PC had 64bit way back in 2003, about the same as apple.

every computer system is vulnerable to spyware and virus, just a matter of more or less. with the >80% of computer user using PC, its logical for the hacker to target their attack for the most impact. and system maintenance is the way to keep every computer at its top condition, just like tidying your workplace. dont blame the construction contractor if you can't bother to maintain your office/home.

...if you actually read, I said Native 64bit.. which word of that sentence gave you the idea that PC doesn't have 64bit or you conveniently interpreted my sentence? I have been using 64bit x86 since it first came out (linux fyi). Stop behaving like a PC fanboy and stick to the topic at hand please (read again ... MacPro)

My post was directed at the point of System maintenance where the focus was on the lack of spyware on the mac, and not on the vulnerabilities on the PC. The 64bit is native to Leopard and the MacPro, whereas for PC, you need to specially grab a 64bit OS, 64bit drivers, and you know I know, not all vendors provide comprehensive support on this aspect. What if TS KPKB why this problem that problem, are you gonna help him find support? Or just conveniently quote you last sentence? If not, go relak one corner can?

On the last part I agree with you, that's why I mentioned to the TS, if you don't want the hassle, go for the Mac, want the PC, you better know how to manage you system.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
...if you actually read, I said Native 64bit.. which word of that sentence gave you the idea that PC doesn't have 64bit or you conveniently interpreted my sentence? I have been using 64bit x86 since it first came out (linux fyi). Stop behaving like a PC fanboy and stick to the topic at hand please (read again ... MacPro)

My post was directed at the point of System maintenance where the focus was on the lack of spyware on the mac, and not on the vulnerabilities on the PC. The 64bit is native to Leopard and the MacPro, whereas for PC, you need to specially grab a 64bit OS, 64bit drivers, and you know I know, not all vendors provide comprehensive support on this aspect. What if TS KPKB why this problem that problem, are you gonna help him find support? Or just conveniently quote you last sentence? If not, go relak one corner can?

On the last part I agree with you, that's why I mentioned to the TS, if you don't want the hassle, go for the Mac, want the PC, you better know how to manage you system.. :rolleyes:

calm down, actually i am not surprise with your reaction, not the first time i saw mac fanboy. you just can't take anything against the mac, do you? seeing your "explanation" about "native 64bit", i can see its time for me to exist this thread, as its going no way but ignorance comments and senseless flame.

to the TS, there are PC vendor selling branded desktop with any configuration you need, with cheaper price--granted, less pretty casing. eg, Dell, HP, IBM with same if not better support than Apple--they have to cause Xeon is in workstation/server sector, not the tiny profit consumer market.

calm down, actually i am not surprise with your reaction, not the first time i saw mac fanboy. you just can't take anything against the mac, do you? seeing your "explanation" about "native 64bit", i can see its time for me to exist this thread, as its going no way but ignorance comments and senseless flame.

to the TS, there are PC vendor selling branded desktop with any configuration you need, with cheaper price--granted, less pretty casing. eg, Dell, HP, IBM with same if not better support than Apple--they have to cause Xeon is in workstation/server sector, not the tiny profit consumer market.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy :bsmilie:

Am i a fanboy? maybe...

Al i know is... I use PC at work. For a peace of mind once i'm back home, i use Mac.
Maintenance? What's that?
To be frank, i care less and work more on my Macintosh more than i spend time worrying about "did i get the latest update of xxx virus scan engine? how about spyware scan oh sh*t!"

Put it bluntly, i used to work on PC for a living. Tell me about maintaining it i can throw a page of "Things to do" before you can even start working on your PC. After i got my 1st Mac, i even forget what is this thing call..... aaa... anti... what... oh ya.. anti-virus! Oh man, almost forget that word! :sweatsm: 8 years since and still going strong... ^^

Next beauty is the OS itself... Not only me but often do i hear the same comment on Mac OS.... simply elegant.... And only one version for consumers, no worries about lack of feature and need to upgrade to better version and pay more. ^^

At the end of the day, ask yourself... do you work harder for your PC than your PC work harder for you?

Ok... that's the PC vs Mac thingy so leave that aside... Purpose of my post is not to start a flame war of any sort.

Now back to TS, if your work require you to run something exclusive on Mac, guess you have no choice but to get one. But if your programs does work on PC, maybe you can consider getting a PC instead for lowest startup cost. Please note the word "startup". :sweat: Total ownership cost is another totally different thing. ^^

Enjoy enjoy...

*if my post is found unsuitable for the mass/domestic, please go ahead to edit or even delete. Mod, do your magic! ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.