MAC newbie alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsoong

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
:sweat: Should get the MBP now or not?

understand that in spring 2007, leopard SUPPOSED to be launched....

spring 2007 in States is about April - May? by that time launched, need to upgrade again? :(

Am biting my fingers now, EITHER take the plunge with fruit company now and go on the interest free 2 years plan or buy the various PC parts for a desktop.

really hate this feeling...

any good proper read for mac switchers ?

what do u guys think?

Dont worry about the hardware part. all the Mac now is leopard ready.:)

The OS is about +-150, To me tiger is good enough liao.:cool:

:sweat: Should get the MBP now or not?

understand that in spring 2007, leopard SUPPOSED to be launched....

spring 2007 in States is about April - May? by that time launched, need to upgrade again? :(

Am biting my fingers now, EITHER take the plunge with fruit company now and go on the interest free 2 years plan or buy the various PC parts for a desktop.

really hate this feeling...

any good proper read for mac switchers ?

what do u guys think?

Plsoong

I share your exact sentiments. My current mac is half dead while i am typing and i need a new one anytime.

I chat up with a sales guy at funan last night. His answer to my dilema is I should not wait for new OS version as the trail never ends. Rather he reminded me that i should pick one up when i need it, get on with life, and worry about new models two yrs down the road.

Meanwhile, because of the coming OSX version, promotions might get better so they can clear existing inventory.

Good luck to your decision.:cool:

thanx heaps guys,

i think i'll need the portability sooner or later..... better sooner as i've got to wrap up some unfinished projects and will be requiring to travel overseas next year...

Now i suppose i should start reading ALL about mac new stuff....(i've been playing around with some of their softwares a little), but possibly not enuf to know all yet

it's Ok to get it now :thumbsup:

my old Mac was running since 2005, i dun reboot or shutdown one (unless during installation of patches) ...and have been installing and uninstalling and no defrag and no significance sluggish in booting up (after patching) or shutting down (after patching) :thumbsup:

I recently replaced it with a desktop mac, so far , very speedy .

when i was using windows, everything i come home after a wedding shoot, i will need to boot up, wait for it to load and take my time to put my cam back to dry cabi, it just get slower after some months of usage and after installing and uninstalling program (maybe registry getting fatter? ) , then backup my photos.

sometimes, my wife will boot up my windows before i reach as she knows i want to backup and my PC take very long to boot up.

now, after i shoot, i dun need to boot up and wait long long... the boot up time has no significant slow down tho i have been messing up the system by installing and uninstalling shareware... and have program running at boot time like quiksilver etc.

both windows and mac has its merit.

mac so far has solved my problem of sluggish after many months of usage as i am an impatient guy. i hate to boot up my office PC. :angry:

:bsmilie: reminds me of my orbit's PC!!!!! i can do one stupid experiment and that damn thing is still loading all the various applications ........ :(

I guess MBP then! ...but think to avoid a drastic depletion of $$$, no choice but to take the 0% installments? for 2 years :cry: ...haiz.....

My PC has been running for 21 days and was getting sluggish each day. Today was so slow that switching between windows are like slow mo and can see white frame without the content, then the content of the window slowly filling in.

I rebooted. Now my PC was back to the normal speed. :embrass:

just to be fair, OSX has its own issues as well. but i'm quite happy with it - my last windows PC died two years ago, probably from neglect after i moved to a G5 iMac :bsmilie:

just to be fair, OSX has its own issues as well. but i'm quite happy with it - my last windows PC died two years ago, probably from neglect after i moved to a G5 iMac :bsmilie:

Hey Varfie,

what issues?

and any particular thing i must look out for when purchasing the MBP?

like any "revisions" of the chip or whatnot?

cheers!

PL

Hey Varfie,

what issues?

and any particular thing i must look out for when purchasing the MBP?

like any "revisions" of the chip or whatnot?

cheers!

PL

Hi plsoong, the latest chips Macs are using are all the intel base core 2 duo chips. There might be problems with the earlier core duo chips used in the first gen MBP. As for whether to wait till leopard is launched thats subjective. Its supposed to be launched in spring but no one knows when sgp will get stock. My suggestion is to get the MBP now and use it if u are comfortable with the price.

the biggest problem i have with OSX is not entirely Apple's fault - many devices and online sites only support Windows and give Macs the shaft.

the one OSX-specific issue that bugs me the most from time to time - copying of a large number of files usually ends up stalling halfway. you can't kill the 'Copy' window, and that usually means a reboot is needed. the recommended workaround is to "copy files in smaller batches" (although that's nothing a little command-line scripting can't fix...).

and of course, there's always the annoying lack of games for OSX as compared to windows.

you can search around for "osx annoyances" and see what other people are grumbling about, too.

the biggest problem i have with OSX is not entirely Apple's fault - many devices and online sites only support Windows and give Macs the shaft.

the one OSX-specific issue that bugs me the most from time to time - copying of a large number of files usually ends up stalling halfway. you can't kill the 'Copy' window, and that usually means a reboot is needed. the recommended workaround is to "copy files in smaller batches" (although that's nothing a little command-line scripting can't fix...).

and of course, there's always the annoying lack of games for OSX as compared to windows.

you can search around for "osx annoyances" and see what other people are grumbling about, too.

how many files are considered "large number of files"? bcos i am afraid 1 day i may stalled my mac.... so far, i copied over 600 files from CF card to hard disk, no stall yet... :sweat: dunno if over this number will hang?

forgot to mention. hardware quality control for the MBP isn't very good. i've seen several with a bit of casing bulge or gaps - not very noticeable, but it's irksome once you do notice it.

the MBP is too hot to use on your lap. take that as a friendly warning!

you might also find that the casing will give your hands small electric shocks from time to time. the three-pin power plug adapter that comes with the MBP has a dummy ground pin - the problem should go away if you replace that plug with the three-pin extension cable (which has a real ground pin), or buy the travel set which has a proper three-pin adapter.

how many files are considered "large number of files"? bcos i am afraid 1 day i may stalled my mac.... so far, i copied over 600 files from CF card to hard disk, no stall yet... :sweat: dunno if over this number will hang?

happened to me with about 8000 files (was transferring several photo folders...), but i'm not willing to experiment to find the limit! :sweatsm:

I say---go get that mbp dude! Time is gold!

Status
Not open for further replies.