Mac Mini vs MacBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
Any idea if the mac Mini (core solo 1.5HZ) is good for Adobe Lightroom?

Actually I'm thinking of replacing my current iBook to get a MacBook. Happened to get a free Mac Mini for x'mas :). Not sure if the Mac Mini is up to the task. Should I sell it and pump the money for a more powerful MacBook Pro?

Any idea if the mac Mini (core solo 1.5HZ) is good for Adobe Lightroom?

Actually I'm thinking of replacing my current iBook to get a MacBook. Happened to get a free Mac Mini for x'mas :). Not sure if the Mac Mini is up to the task. Should I sell it and pump the money for a more powerful MacBook Pro?

get the macbook pro :)

Of course I know a MacBook Pro / PowerMac is the best option.
But if Mac Mini can do the job, I would rather save the money for something else.

Of course I know a MacBook Pro / PowerMac is the best option.
But if Mac Mini can do the job, I would rather save the money for something else.

well.. i'm not too sure if the mini can support the adobe lighthouse or the next mac OS leopard which is rumoured to be released next year. perhaps to save money, at least get a macbook? though i must admit in terms of desktop, the imac is very tempting (24inch).

look for jeremy at sitex. im selling apple there, haha. i can show you around. im at the front part of the apple store. cheers.

look for jeremy at sitex. im selling apple there, haha. i can show you around. im at the front part of the apple store. cheers.

Any idea what's the price of the mac mini core sole? Apple sells refurbished set for $799.

Anybody wanna buy my brand new mac mini? :think:

Any idea what's the price of the mac mini core sole? Apple sells refurbished set for $799.

Anybody wanna buy my brand new mac mini? :think:

apple is not selling the mac mini core solo.. they are selling the core duo for the mac mini..

1.66ghz, 60gb hd, combo drive, 512mb (2x 256mb)--- 1049 (if i remember correctly)

1.83ghz, 80gb hd, super drive, 512mb (2x 256mb)--- 1399 (if i remember correctly)

anyway, i working with jeremy, can look for me too :p

who is running the show for apple this time round? PA Mart?

Anyways, have fun selling Apple, just throw the tough questions to the tech :bsmilie:

apple is not selling the mac mini core solo.. they are selling the core duo for the mac mini..

1.66ghz, 60gb hd, combo drive, 512mb (2x 256mb)--- 1049 (if i remember correctly)

1.83ghz, 80gb hd, super drive, 512mb (2x 256mb)--- 1399 (if i remember correctly)

anyway, i working with jeremy, can look for me too :p

Sigh....

Yes, I know. My supposedly brand new Mac Mini Core Solo 1.5ghz is now an outdated stock.

Anybody interested to buy it from me for $688?

mac mini is ram limited. to run lightroom, u will need at least 2GB of ram on Core or Core 2 processor. If ur per file size is large, like 12mb raw, it will take up a lot of resources for a 100 pics folder. A 12MB raw to tiff will generate a huge 78MB file so mem is the weaklink here. If so, then u will need at least 4GB to crunch those files smoothly, lest u dun mind intermittent hour glass time.

Dual G5 + 4gb Ram should do fine. i am using this system at my workspace. smooth !

:thumbsup:

but forget about running 120mb illustrator files.... the G5 practically crawling to open that particular file... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

and thats PowerMac the old MacPro....

Dual G5 + 4gb Ram should do fine. i am using this system at my workspace. smooth !

:thumbsup:

but forget about running 120mb illustrator files.... the G5 practically crawling to open that particular file... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

and thats PowerMac the old MacPro....

It's very hard to get 120mb of AI file if you choose to link your image files instead.

Side:
I use a dual 2ghz G5 with 1.5g ram at work and I'm pushing the limits every single day. Yup. I definitely recommend more ram, maybe 2gb. For I'm sure my ram cache always filled one. Second harddisk is very highly recommended.

If you can, try to get the old Dual G5/PowerBooks, fine machines. Since most Adobe products (besides Lightroom) aren't Universal, they'll run a tad slower on the new Intel machines since its emulated.

The Mac Mini and MacBook are essentially the same, minus the portability and the lack of a camera. If I were you, I would just fork out the cash for a Dual G5.

If you chose between this two.. Macbook.

In terms of mobility and speed. macbook beat mac mini hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.