Mac Mail.app error

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
Hi

I am running MAC OS X version 10.6.4

I am using the Mac Mail app to send/receive emails from my mail servers.

I receive the error The server returned the error: The connection to the server “mail.iclickmedia.com.sg” on port 110 timed out.

This error happens intermittenly. Sometimes for 10 minutes, I can send/receive email. And then for 2 hours, I'm block with that error.

Can I check with the mac gurus here, what are the settings for you to check your emails using Mac Mail app?

maybe the mail server at iclickmedia.com.sg has problems?

I got the below email reply from the hosting company.

Your IP "116.15.141.50 " was blocked in the server firewall due to the following reason:

================================
Oct 6 18:50:48 uranus lfd[16746]: pop3d - 61 logins in 3001 secs from 116.15.141.50 (SG/Singapore/bb116-15-141-50.singnet.com.sg) for terence@iclickmedia.com.sg exceeds 60/hour - *Blocked in csf* for 599 secs
Oct 6 18:50:48 uranus lfd[16757]: (PERMBLOCK) 116.15.141.50 has had more than 6 temp blocks in the last 86400 secs - *Blocked in csf*

The reason for IP block is because we have configured our server settings such as to block the respective IP which is using POP3 service more than 60 logins per hour will be temporary blocked. After that 6 more attempts will block the respective IP permanently.

From our logs we found that the IP "116.15.141.50 " has been blocked our server firewall due to the above reasons several times today.

==============================

This is the reason for why you are getting mail server error. If you are using 3rd party mail applications, kindly reduce check interval to 1 minute, other wise the same problem will arise again and again.

The thing is, I've always set my email to check for emails every minute once. How can I check my email 61 times in an hour? Strange..

since i also have some problems using mac mail, i use gmail now.......

my mail always have connection problem

My guess is...

I have 3 computers (2 using outlook express, 1 using mac mail) to access the same mail server. I am also using my mobile phone to access my email.

Could this be the reason why there are 61 logins in an hour? Even though the 2 outlook express I do not use?

My guess is...

I have 3 computers (2 using outlook express, 1 using mac mail) to access the same mail server. I am also using my mobile phone to access my email.

Could this be the reason why there are 61 logins in an hour? Even though the 2 outlook express I do not use?

very highly possible. :) especially for mobile phone... if u configure push function incorrectly.

My guess is...

If they are all using the same IP address, then that is the reason why. The extra +1 login must've come from somewhere out of your other applications

Does your mail server support IMAP functionalities? Maybe you can try that. IMAP is more robust IMHO

If they are all using the same IP address, then that is the reason why. The extra +1 login must've come from somewhere out of your other applications

Does your mail server support IMAP functionalities? Maybe you can try that. IMAP is more robust IMHO

IP address may not be the issue, depends what is the rule.

cos accessing the same userid but different ip, the system may do a flood check and block.

IP address may not be the issue, depends what is the rule.

cos accessing the same userid but different ip, the system may do a flood check and block.

But the logs mention the specific IP address that is repeatedly accessing the POP3 service mah, that's why i think that is the issue being picked up by the remote server. If TS was accessing from a different IP, the logs will keep a different counter

"The reason for IP block is because we have configured our server settings such as to block the respective IP which is using POP3 service more than 60 logins per hour will be temporary blocked. After that 6 more attempts will block the respective IP permanently."

Anyway, TS can try temporarily switching off other applications and just keep your mac mail running, and see if the problem is still there. If not, then try to set your mac mail to check every 2 minutes instead of 1, shouldn't be much different from user's point of view

But the logs mention the specific IP address that is repeatedly accessing the POP3 service mah, that's why i think that is the issue being picked up by the remote server. If TS was accessing from a different IP, the logs will keep a different counter

"The reason for IP block is because we have configured our server settings such as to block the respective IP which is using POP3 service more than 60 logins per hour will be temporary blocked. After that 6 more attempts will block the respective IP permanently."

Anyway, TS can try temporarily switching off other applications and just keep your mac mail running, and see if the problem is still there. If not, then try to set your mac mail to check every 2 minutes instead of 1, shouldn't be much different from user's point of view

TS mention he got 3 computers. anyway all these 3 computers should have the same nat ip address cos the mail server will see these 3 computers as one.

Hi all

I have 3 computers all connecting to the internet using the Singtel wireless modem.

Computer A - Using Outlook express, I have removed all the email accounts there.
Laptop B - Using Outlook express, I have also removed all email accounts there.

Laptop C - Using Mac Mail app, I am currently only using this machine to check emails. I have set it to check for emails every minute. I still have errors:

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “mail.iclickmedia.com.sg” on port 110 timed out.

Can I check with all the shifu here...

1) I have configured my Mac Mail to access mail.iclickmedia.com.sg (using 3 different email accounts. They are for example a@iclickmedia.com.sg, b@iclickmedia.com.sg and c@iclickmedia.com.sg). Does this means that 3 users access the mail.iclickmedia.com.sg and therefore resulted in the 61 logins in 1 hour?

The server returned the error: The connection to the server “mail.iclickmedia.com.sg” on port 110 timed out.

this seems to be connectivity issue. either firewall (u need to allow port 110 on your singtel modem) or your webhost server host down.

Dont think the web host srever is down as I've emailed them and everytime they said its working fine.

How to allow port 110 on the singtel modem?

SOme configuration on the mac or physical toggle of some buttons on the modem?

1) I have configured my Mac Mail to access mail.iclickmedia.com.sg (using 3 different email accounts. They are for example a@iclickmedia.com.sg, b@iclickmedia.com.sg and c@iclickmedia.com.sg). Does this means that 3 users access the mail.iclickmedia.com.sg and therefore resulted in the 61 logins in 1 hour?

Very likely, you have to check with the hosting company, they should have some log to trace.

Dont think the web host srever is down as I've emailed them and everytime they said its working fine.

How to allow port 110 on the singtel modem?

SOme configuration on the mac or physical toggle of some buttons on the modem?

In post #1 you have no problem connecting, received/send mail before.
According to #3, if you cannot connect after 10 mins, it's perm block.

why do you need to check your email every minute?
just change to every 10 minutes and see if it solves your problem

I've set it to auto send/receive every 5 mins. So far no errors encountered. I guess that really solve the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help. Though Send/receive 1 time every minute accounts to 60/hour, which doesnt cause the ban, im not sure why it becomes 61 though. Anyway, happy that this is solved.

Cheers!