Mac G3 Worth Buying ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuglaq

Jun 23, 2003
Hill View Avenue
tuglaq.fotopic.net
Csers,

Currently i am entering in to Digital Photography, i am planning to buy a second hand MAC G3 from one of my friend for scanning and photo enhancing.

Does the below mentioned config will suffice for Digital Photography ? Can i install Photoshop with this config ? Can I upgrade the OS ?

MAC G3 OS Version 9.1
Physical Memory 160 MB
20 GB HDD

Thanks in advance.
Shiek

tuglaq said:
Csers,

Currently i am entering in to Digital Photography, i am planning to buy a second hand MAC G3 from one of my friend for scanning and photo enhancing.

Does the below mentioned config will suffice for Digital Photography ? Can i install Photoshop with this config ? Can I upgrade the OS ?

MAC G3 OS Version 9.1
Physical Memory 160 MB
20 GB HDD

Thanks in advance.
Shiek

G3 is pretty slow, and looking at the specs, it looks like a VERY slow machine, unless you're willing to spend money to up the memory or upgrade to another processor.

3rd mac processor upgrades goes anywhere from 500-1000$, they are not cheap.

you'll probably get more bang for the buck if you just stick to an intel system

cheers :)

from a mac user

:) Agree ^^

A 2nd hand Athlon XP 2400 with 256 MB RAM and monitor, etc is only going at SLS for $550 (I saw). A brand new one at say XP 2800, 512MB, etc should be around $1k there abouts. Much more worth it than a G3, which is last millenium stuff ;) .

Guys Thanks for your prompt reply, Actually i already have a Dell Laptop, Where as i was looking in to MAC as i beleive its good for photo editing and stuffs like that...

tuglaq said:
Guys Thanks for your prompt reply, Actually i already have a Dell Laptop, Where as i was looking in to MAC as i beleive its good for photo editing and stuffs like that...

Apple centre at bukit merah have ibook g3 for sale since they have upgraded their ibook to g4. if im not wrong is about lees then 2k for 12" screen.

hmmm.. i'm also contemplating on the G3.

anyone using the G3 ibook solely as a digital darkroom? ie. no internet connection or whatsoever but the occasional word document once in a while.

plan to do just that.

Should be good enough right?

I find that some PCs are too overloaded with unecessary stuff.

tuglaq said:

Are you referring to ergonomics, user interface or raw performance? You will get far better performance spending on an Intel/AMD desktop. Also, you mentioned that you would be scanning....160MB of memory will irritate the hell out of you if you do that.

How abt the powerbook G4 with the below specs

system: Mac OS x 10.2.6
Machine speed: 400Mhz
Machine model: PowerBook G4 (11.3)
memory: SDRAM 128 MB
SDRAM 512 MB
extra wireless card

is it a better buy then the g3?? how fast is this G4 system as compared to an intel system??

anyway..is it worth it if a friend is asking for $1.8k for the above??
thanks~~

tan131 said:
How abt the powerbook G4 with the below specs

system: Mac OS x 10.2.6
Machine speed: 400Mhz
Machine model: PowerBook G4 (11.3)
memory: SDRAM 128 MB
SDRAM 512 MB
extra wireless card

is it a better buy then the g3?? how fast is this G4 system as compared to an intel system??

anyway..is it worth it if a friend is asking for $1.8k for the above??
thanks~~

I had a 500mhz G4 powerbook,
1 gig of ram,
20gig 5400rpm HDD

very hard to sell, only attracted offers of 1.5k, when I managed to get a 1.6K offer, I sold it, hence at 1.8k for the specs, I say, it is over prices.

before I moved to the apple, I was using a dell PIII 900mhz laptop, and the dell was faster. (with almost the same spec)

hope that can give you a comparism

Thanks for the comparsions rueyloon...may ask i wat system u are using for photoshop now?? just curious..also looking for an upgrade myself..thanks in advance

(",)

tuglaq said:
Csers,

MAC G3 OS Version 9.1
Physical Memory 160 MB
20 GB HDD

Thanks in advance.
Shiek

best advice, get a G4 (or G5 if you've got the cash) when doing photoshop.. G3 can't match big brothers' speed.. but it will suffice for one who is cash-strapped.. like me! heh..

yes you can install photoshop, and many other great programs too! but you've got to upgrade your OS first. jaguar or panther. boost your RAM to the max (RAM is cheap at sim lim) and also jpeg, raw and even jpg2k file aren't exactly small, so better boost your harddrive too.

:) hey! welcome to macs man! you'll like it! :D your "DULL" computers aren't up to match.. kekke..

rueyloon said:
I had a 500mhz G4 powerbook,
1 gig of ram,
20gig 5400rpm HDD

very hard to sell, only attracted offers of 1.5k, when I managed to get a 1.6K offer, I sold it, hence at 1.8k for the specs, I say, it is over prices.

before I moved to the apple, I was using a dell PIII 900mhz laptop, and the dell was faster. (with almost the same spec)

hope that can give you a comparism

500Mhz vs 900Mhz leh....

i almost swapped my laptop for a 700Mhz with 384MB

reason is that ibook look nice and i also keen to learn more....luckily in the end i never swap

anyway I started with an Apple ][ when i was 8 years old and picked up programming from there

actually...wats the advantages of using a mac os over a windows base intel one?? read somewhere that though a 500mhz mac vs a 500mhz intel one...the mac is still faster...is it true??

anyway...hope to get more info from mac users, the advantages of using one...and maybe can tell us newbies to mac os, something more abt the os...hehehe~~

tuglaq said:
Csers,

MAC G3 OS Version 9.1
Physical Memory 160 MB
20 GB HDD

Thanks in advance.
Shiek

Buy Ibook enough liao, get from here, promotion now..

tan131 said:
actually...wats the advantages of using a mac os over a windows base intel one?? read somewhere that though a 500mhz mac vs a 500mhz intel one...the mac is still faster...is it true??

anyway...hope to get more info from mac users, the advantages of using one...and maybe can tell us newbies to mac os, something more abt the os...hehehe~~

ya, at the same clock speed the MAC is faster, when say compared using the same software, like photoshop or something.

500 on a mac is probably about a 700-800 on an intel.

Mac is usually slower and more expensive, but it comes bundled with more software and for a normal user those would suffice to organise your music and images, but for "power" users, you'll still have to depends on 3rd party products.

with mac, the difference is in the user experience, like the interface and the small minute things.

when I first moved over to a mac, I felt the mac is too simple, in windows you have loads of options to select and things to tweak. You don't do that on a Mac, at first I felt it was not as "configurable" , but later on I appreciated the simplicity of how it works.

in the end, I dun think there is any advantage of windows over mac or vice versa, just what you're comfortable with using.

tan131 said:

mac "shelf life" longer.. :D OS very stable, don't face the blue screen of death like windows.. centennial crashes.. and also great to look at! no virus too!

yeah.. macs are faster.. less steps to take to the final destination.. keke..

opens up the same pic file much faster on a mac, as compared to a windows computer, which took much longer, and hanged once.. :bsmilie:

been a windows user for the rest of my life, cept for the last 2 yrs.. then made the switch! never looked back ever since.. ;)

my ibook has served me well for the past 4 yrs, managed to change its harddisk last yr, still using it for photo transfers
i would recommend a mac for photo editing, rendering is much more smoother on a mac, but if u are considering scanning stuff, u have to see wat type of scanner u are goin to use, not all scanners support macs, mine doesnt.
currently on a p4 desktop, but i wuld get a mac if i can afford one
and yes! macs are very stable, normally there are very few conflicts that can spoil ur mood and u can have a longer sleeping life with a powerbook or an ibook compared to a dell

Are we just taling in terms of photographic work?

Nobody mentioned: Adobe Photoshep is G4 Optimised, Altivec Optimised, designed for Velocity Engine.

Put a Mac and a Windows PC side by side, and people will look at the Mac, and go "wow". Then they'll go use the PC, cos they know how to use it. Albeit, how to restart when it crashes.

Bottom line is, i find that Mac OS X is slicker and easier to use. Fresh Mac users can quickly figure out the interface. Yes, windows IS getting better, but look at it! How many windows users do you know who flinch at a blue screen?

Photo wise, photoshop runs faster. Things just look better.

If you like, stick with windows. But, if you want to get things done, welcome to the world of Macintosh! Think Different.

when is the last time u saw a blue screen on your XP patched to the latest version?

Status
Not open for further replies.