Mac Book, To buy or not to Buy ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fokker

Dec 31, 2004
Northern Sector
Hi Everyone,

I need your advice. Currently using a COMPAQ laptop (Pentium Centrino), however thought of selling this laptop away and buy a new MacBook. Although I know that the MacBook can have dual OS inside it but can I still load programs like (Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Active Sync) inside the Windows XP OS. Cause I don't know whether can I still sync my Pocket PC PDA.

Should I decide to buy a Macbook. Is the current model able to serve my usage (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16Ghz, 2Gbyte Ram, 120G Harddisk)

Fyi, my general usage for my computer is usually (photo editting, video editting, microsoft office applications, internet serving) that's all.

Pls give me your advice.

Dun spend money unless really necessary. This is my advice to this generation.

Should I decide to buy a Macbook. Is the current model able to serve my usage (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16Ghz, 2Gbyte Ram, 120G Harddisk)

Fyi, my general usage for my computer is usually (photo editting, video editting, microsoft office applications, internet serving) that's all.

Pls give me your advice.

For video editing & processing, i think you need at least a Macbook Pro
Macbook is more like office applications and minor photo editing.

I'm using a Quad MacPro desktop and even for video editing, i still can't stand the slowness...

If you are patient enough, maybe you wanan wiat for this October.
Apple would be probably released the Leopard version with bootcamp.

:p :lovegrin: :p

Hi Everyone,

I need your advice. Currently using a COMPAQ laptop (Pentium Centrino), however thought of selling this laptop away and buy a new MacBook. Although I know that the MacBook can have dual OS inside it but can I still load programs like (Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Active Sync) inside the Windows XP OS. Cause I don't know whether can I still sync my Pocket PC PDA.

Pls give me your advice.

harlo! long time no see since our BnW class with SLCC... ;p

anyway, if u can wait, wait. i'm still waiting for the new OS to be launched. probably year-end, if all those mac rumours are rite... :think:

harlo! long time no see since our BnW class with SLCC... ;p

anyway, if u can wait, wait. i'm still waiting for the new OS to be launched. probably year-end, if all those mac rumours are rite... :think:

Hi nightwolf75,

really long long time no see.

Seems like all you guys are recommending me to wait wait till probably year end then to think whether to change or not.

Hi nightwolf75,

really long long time no see.

Seems like all you guys are recommending me to wait wait till probably year end then to think whether to change or not.

hehe... better lah. later u buy, then steve jobs announce new OS... u really dunno to cry or laugh... ;p

one thing good abt apple - the lag time bet SJ announcing something new, and it popping up at apple stores is very short.... if u dun count the iPhone. :bsmilie:

apple is releasing a "new" range of mac books soon, featuring LED backlight instead of the usual CCFL. much better than the current line of notebook display. ATM i only know Sony hi end SZ series uses this LED backlight screen. very nice. :) go & have a look urself in the sony gallery.

i also suggest u wait awhile, new mac stuffs i heard coming very soon.

you will face a problem in the HD

change it to the faster one.

You can sync your pocket PC PDA using Missing Sync in Mac OS X.

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php

As for video editing, for simple stuff Macbook should be ok with a Firewire HDD, but if you wanna do extensive video stuff, Macbook Pro with a Firewire 800 HDD will be much better. For other stuff, the Macbook should handle it like a breeze lar. :)

You can sync your pocket PC PDA using Missing Sync in Mac OS X.

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php

As for video editing, for simple stuff Macbook should be ok with a Firewire HDD, but if you wanna do extensive video stuff, Macbook Pro with a Firewire 800 HDD will be much better. For other stuff, the Macbook should handle it like a breeze lar. :)

Thanks frenchbean for your input.

apple juz released the LED baclight mac book pro. shud hit our shore within weeks. came with the latest nVidia DX10 graphics card too. however its only available in the pro ver for now.

worth the wait i must say. :)

edited: the new line of MBP is launching next week at the World Developers Conference. Shud be here in a short time too, if anyone is interested in a MBP, shud wait a little while more. :)

Buying Macintosh to install Windows?

There's the availability of equal versions of alternative versions like MSOffice for Mac. IMO, the only reason why I'll buy a Mac to install Windows would be that to play games.

Other than that, all other applications solely Mac.

Don't buy yet...apart from hardware upgrade, there's still the Mac OSX Leopard thats gonna come with the new models...its been stalled due to lack of resources at Apple Computers, trying to focus on the iPhone.

Heng.... luckily I didn't get a MAC.

In the end, my windows notebook is better than the mac and cheaper some more.

Cannot be, something is wrong with your notebook, its too good! ;p

Better at what? Crashing and getting virus?

heheh just kidding, couldn't resist a dig. Hope you find your notebook working well for you:)

well for me i wun mind getting a macbook but if i can, i'd rather wait for the new os to come out before i do ..

OT. I was checking out the prices of Apple computers on the Singapore online store and HK online store.

Cost of a 20inch iMac w/2.16Ghz processor without any modifications:

Singapore : S$2588
Hong Kong : HK$11900

In Singapore Dollars after conversion:

Singapore : S$2588
Hong Kong : S$2325.41

So the difference is 262.59

Not exactly a trip here but if you added in the options or purchase a higher end model, you could get a free trip to HK and back. I did the sums for Macbook Pro and I could get about 340 bucks discount if I purchase from HK.

And I have not factor in the GST increase this July.....

Status
Not open for further replies.