Mac book pro or HP core2dual laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmingorion

Dec 22, 2007
Hi all,
I'm considering to sell my laptop to get a new one. I'm wondering if i should buy a mac book pro or a windows based laptop?

The reason for asking is i'm using photoshop CS3 quite a lot and so needed a high performance laptop.

Can all experts suggest what i should get and why pls?

I am seeking for your advices.

Thanks u!!;)

If you have the budget, get the cheapest Macbook Pro, go to Sim Lim Square and max out its DDR2-667 RAM to 4 gigs. Otherwise, for CS3 i would recommend you to get the stronger standard Macbook instead as both mac screens are TN panels, its smaller and cheaper, and the Graphics Processing Unit does almost nothing to the performance of photoshop and stuff. Never rely on a laptop screen; for serious work get a good quality desktop monitor to mount ur laptop with. Thus, i recommend a macbook with 4gigs of RAM from sim lim. You won't even exceed 2k :)

PS forgot to answer your question, why get a macbook: More stable, less downtime, mac laptops work very intuitively. You'll love how the whole system integrates with adobe's software with flawless drag and drop and other features, very integrated.

If you have the budget, get the cheapest Macbook Pro, go to Sim Lim Square and max out its DDR2-667 RAM to 4 gigs. Otherwise, for CS3 i would recommend you to get the stronger standard Macbook instead as both mac screens are TN panels, its smaller and cheaper, and the Graphics Processing Unit does almost nothing to the performance of photoshop and stuff. Never rely on a laptop screen; for serious work get a good quality desktop monitor to mount ur laptop with. Thus, i recommend a macbook with 4gigs of RAM from sim lim. You won't even exceed 2k :)

PS forgot to answer your question, why get a macbook: More stable, less downtime, mac laptops work very intuitively. You'll love how the whole system integrates with adobe's software with flawless drag and drop and other features, very integrated.

hi, thanks for your advice!
Comparing the CS image processing speeds, is the new macbook pro core2dual much faster than the pc laptops?

Thanks!

hi, thanks for your advice!
Comparing the CS image processing speeds, is the new macbook pro core2dual much faster than the pc laptops?

Thanks!

MBP is 3k for the entry level one.

the way mac OS is written, it push the processor to the max, it should be faster using MBP then a win OS laptop.

Eh.

Speed I think for the same specs compare the PC, it should be roughly the same.

Think of your time savings in terms on lesser time spent on clearing virus, spyware, adware and general you-don't-have-to-give-damn-on-maintaining-your-system activities.

Technology is suppose to save people time and money.
So it's actually pretty easy to choose, depending on whether you value time more or money more.

is your Photoshop a Mac or Win version?... if it is Win, get a Win laptop... if Mac, get a Mac... speed wise shouldn't have significant diff... stability wise, also not much diff... function wise, well, it is Adobe software rather than Apple or Microsoft, so it is more or less the same on either platform... and if a person doesn't accept downloads from unknown sources, shouldn't have much problem with viruses, adware and the like...

Hi all,
I'm considering to sell my laptop to get a new one. I'm wondering if i should buy a mac book pro or a windows based laptop?

The reason for asking is i'm using photoshop CS3 quite a lot and so needed a high performance laptop.

Can all experts suggest what i should get and why pls?

I am seeking for your advices.

Thanks u!!;)

I use a MBP 2.4GHz Core2Duo with 4GB RAM. I suggest that u dun use MB if graphic processing is you primary objective, as the graphic memory is shared.

As for relative performance, hope this helps: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html

dan

MacBook Pro would be a better choice. My Windows XP machine runs for an hour or two doing a virus scan when I start it. That really kills anything else that I want to do until it finishes. You can get a cheaper machine, but you pay for that in all the extra things you do for it.

Adobe's software is somewhat better on Mac OS X but not the way it used to be, though I'm sure it still feels broken on WinXP in comparison.

In any case, avoid the glossy displays and if you can, get a refurbished machine so you can avoid problems and save money.

one more thing about laptops. if you buy a brand that has many inbuild applications say bye bye to your RAM. Try to get a laptop with less bells and whisltes on the outsidee so there is less applications running in the background to zap your memory. e.g. Volume button , direct play back buttons and external displays. Previously i was looking at dell XPS, still looks good to me. To be sure just go to any demo set and start the task manager and see what rubbish they have installed for you in the background. Try to get a laptop brand that gives you a Physical OS DVD instead of a silly OS partition as a cost saving excuse, because when your HDD crashes bye bye windows. As for performance mac has lost the edge once they started using the same hardware windows platform was using. In Windows you get more options but with more options you get more options for crashes and hangs, so install applications carefully and try to keep the editing laptop purely for editing or work. No games and BT **** and try to keep it as original as possible as OEM software usually are tagged with rubbish files to mark your computer for using their OEM versions if ya know what i mean.

At the end of the day if you use windows the option is open for Alterative softwares and the chances that you will install crap into it will be much higher and crashing and etc is high. No one is that diciplined to keep the system so clean. Unless you're so diciplined,buy a MAC and keep it only for Photo editing and offical web net suring like Club snap and Hardwarezone sites makes life easier and you can always install a copy of windows and keep the mac OS clean if you need windows. =)

But MAC prices comes with a premium, if you compare a simillar spec MBP to a Dell XPS with simillar price, you get a whole lot more, faster GFX more RAM, and still be able to top up a 3 years premium care package.... DAMM that's alot of things to trade for that white apple!

are you just going to use your laptop for image processing only?

like it or not, mac is still losing out on network externalities side, the fact that a lot of programmes out there still do not run on mac os, or it is a pain in the arse to look for the mac version of the software.. dictate that there is still some glory to be gleaned from windows (although not much, i'd have to admit).

a decently specced laptop will run windows vista AND cs3 pretty smoothly, i'm sure of that..

as for processing power alone, no laptop is going to be able to compete with a good ol' desktop. soon as i graduate i'm going to dump the laptop concept and never touch it again. wheeeeeee.

like it or not, mac is still losing out on network externalities side, the fact that a lot of programmes out there still do not run on mac os, or it is a pain in the arse to look for the mac version of the software.. dictate that there is still some glory to be gleaned from windows (although not much, i'd have to admit).

a decently specced laptop will run windows vista AND cs3 pretty smoothly, i'm sure of that..

as for processing power alone, no laptop is going to be able to compete with a good ol' desktop. soon as i graduate i'm going to dump the laptop concept and never touch it again. wheeeeeee.
This i agree.... dekstop half the price same speed. but 10x the size LOL

This i agree.... dekstop half the price same speed. but 10x the size LOL

well, if you're not a person who likes to access a computer on the go..

small screen or big screen better?
normal size keyboard or laptop size keyboard better?
small speakers or big speakers better?

no contest for me :devil: but we digress.

hi,
yes it is right that the desktop is very much better than a laptop interms of speed. However, i'm looking for something more portable. One that allows me to take around when i am travelling overseas. The current one that i have is huge...15.4" wide screen. man....that is heavy plus huge to carry around.

It seems like it is rather obvious that i'll be getting a windows OS laptop. I'm looking at the DELL XPS and HP dv 2775tx model. Both cost the same S$2600. So.....any suggestions on these 2 brands?

Thanks!

It seems like it is rather obvious that i'll be getting a windows OS laptop. I'm looking at the DELL XPS and HP dv 2775tx model. Both cost the same S$2600. So.....any suggestions on these 2 brands?

Thanks!

mind listing the specs?

you can look at asus as well, i like them :bsmilie:

Go touch and feel the products, if you're going for light dell xps 1330 is the one for you man it's light,thin and feature packed. the screen is nice and bright but saddly glossy. It's the laptop that i should have gotten but it wasn't out until 2 mths i purcahsed mine. DAMM. You can also get a premium + Extended warrenty from them too.

HP products are a mess, you give me a model and usually it difficult to find the spec online cause for every different part they come out with they have a different model number. But i believe HP never did make good THIN and LIGHT laptops. their tablets are still the chunky monkey lolx.

Specs grabbed from : http://sg.hardwarezone.com/marketplace/view.php?cid=287&id=159713

HP Pavilion DV2775TX (Ultimate Specs / Gaming Laptop)
Brand New Sealed in Box!!!
Full 1 Year Local Singapore & International Warranty!!!

Specs:
Intel Core2Duo Processor T8300 2.4GHz
250GB SATA Hard Disk
3GB DDR2 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M 256MB Dedicated Graphics w/1GB Shared Memory
14.1" WXGA High-Definition Widescreen
LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD/-RW Double Layer
HD DVD
HDMI
Wireless & Bluetooth
5 In 1 Digital Media Reader
Built In 1.3 Mega Pixels Webcam
Altec Lansing Speakers
HP QuickPlay
HP Mobile Remote Control
Fingerprint Reader
Windows Vista Home Premium

Approx Retail price: $2599

Dell 1330 from dell.com.sg

XPSTM M1330
Super thin! All round powerful and outstanding sleek and stylish mobility laptop

Online Price S$2,0991
Price incl. GST and Delivery

DELL SPECIAL OFFERS
FREE 36-Months McAfee Software Upgrade!
Two days left - 1/5/2008
More Details
Get Up to 20% Off XPSTM Laptop Warranty Plans.
Offer ends on 5/5/2008
More Details

Processor
Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology - Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7250

Operating system
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Memory
3GB DDR2 SDRAM

Monitor
13.3” UltraSharp™ WXGA Display with TrueLife™ and 2.0MP integrated webcam
(Dell Ultra Series are good, see it to believe it.)

Specifications - Hard Drive

Hard Drive
160GB* Hard Drive

Graphic Card
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS

Wireless Network Card
Intel® 4965 Wireless-N Mini-card

As for weight and thiness dell is the winner here Price too , but it has slightly slower processer, less HDD space, smaller RAM Space. I believe HP is the ones that have the restore partition in the HDD and don't provide a physical disc. But i'm not sure about dell.

But i just did a tiny customzation and i got a SG$ 2,368.98 for the same processer and HDD space. so for $299 you get 128MB on the gfx and slight bigger screen but a heavier laptop. check out the background processes the HP is running first if you decide. it might be alot. same for dell just in case give it a quick check, see what applications are running , if you close them some buttons might not work or the wifi might go dead etc. =)

Hope all these data helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.