Mac Book or Mac Book Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
If u are to use photoshops and Lightroom, would u choose the MacBook or MacBook Pro?
In the first place, can LIghtroom run on a Mac Book?

none of them for the moment, PB G4 still faster to use PS, wait till adobe comes with universal version, and it could be faster.

Yup Apple's stuck at a transition period... who asked them to release their Intel-based Macs 6 months ahead of schedule.:bsmilie:

Now, you're got to run all non-native Mac programs through Rosetta which basically negates any gains the new Core Duo chips provide. Performance is in fact slower than the previous generation of macs the new stuff replaces, so for PS users, its either wait or get a PC notebook.

You could, of course, run XP via bootcamp, as I'm sure many Mac fanatics will yell soon enough if I don't add this line in. Yes you can dual boot to XP and the programs will work just fine, but you'll need to buy/own a copy of XP AND the windows version of the software, so it adds to cost. And a macbook ain't that cheap to begin with, so it defeats the purpose if you're running mainly windows on a Mac.

So bottom line, neither for now. Wait.

I'd go for Macbook anytime. Macbook Pro is just superior in a few aspect, and the extra $ don't justify (at least for me)..

That's why I got the Macbook around a month ago.

a macbook if i have a spare lcd. Great for portability but too small to work with. Great lappy but poor gfx card. would wait until they upgrade the gfx.
Macbook pro if u need the extra inch.

weekh said:
If u are to use photoshops and Lightroom, would u choose the MacBook or MacBook Pro?
In the first place, can LIghtroom run on a Mac Book?

Lightroom is universal binary, so it can run natively on intel Mac. MB or MBP also can and of course MBP is a lot more ex. not nec IMHO.

Photoshop OTOH will not run smoothly on either MB or MBP as it was coded for ppc (G4/G5) platforms.

So, it really depends on which app you use more frequently. Lightroom is still Beta and PS CS2 is going to be replaced by CS3 (which is to be universal binary) only next year.

cocoa

Ya so TS, if the laptop is solely for PS, get a 2nd hand powerbook now, i've seen 17in going for S$2xxx in macuser.org.sg

Then when CS3 comes out next year, sell away the powerbook, and it's also about time Coreduo2 come out, so get the new books then.

Status
Not open for further replies.