m4/3 system vs Nex system vs DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

fringster0

Apr 14, 2011
Hi, i am sure a lot of people have ask about this question. And i believe its more to a personal choice but i still welcome some opinions from the experts here for some reference. Recently my treasurer has approved me to buy a new camera to replace my current sony pns camera. My new camera will be used more for taking family potraits and photos of my 2 sons and some occasional travel trips. It will be my main camera and my lady will be using it too.

DSLR
More inclined towards nikon D7000 or canon 60D.
Pros which i know:Well-rounded, better suited for taking action shots, night shots, more selection of lens
Cons: Heavier

Nex system
More inclined towards Nex-5N or Nex-7
Pros which i know:Big sensor almost the same as DSLR, lighter, new technology that will be a new force in the industry
Cons: Not very good at action shots, less lens selection

m4/3 system
More inclined to EP3
Pros: Light, Shots taken for normal photos for print (4R) is as good as the above 2 sys, more selection of lens than Nex
Cons: Not vey good at action shots, still less selection than DSLR,

I am sure the pros and cons are not all there and what i listed may be wrong, if it is feel free to correct me. So i would like to see which system would other people choose in this situation. i would like to say a word of thanks first for whoever leave a opinion.

If portability is important to you, I'd say go for m4/3. Otherwise I would go for DSLR.

If you're not using your camera to earn money, go for the Nex of m4/3.

I feel the m4/3 lens and body package just look better than Nex.

Don't worry about action shots, you're not shooting competitive soccer, basketball or F1.

Most important is really portability. You don't want to carry a heavy back breaking camera.

ask ur treasurer which 1 she's ok with.

dslr r probably too big n heavy for a causal users.

m4/3 probably has more lenses choices and also the upcomin releases are making the scene interesting

DSLR - Look at the K5 too
comparedto60DK5.jpg

Its only $1200 now for the body.
Its a APS-C, but typically smaller sized system with smaller lenses with weather seal, mag alloy body and on-camera shake reduction.
Review on DPR : Pentax K-5 In-depth Review: Digital Photography Review (Gold award)

m4/3 - Look at Panasonic G3 too. I have one too and live it a lot. Small system, rather affordable and good enough results
an article from Kirk Tuck here ( The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: A small camera I've been playing with. Yesterday. Panasonic G3. The pre-OM-D. )
Personally, I find that for the system to shine, you will need the rather affordable fast primes, so take note (YMMV)

Hi, i am sure a lot of people have ask about this question. And i believe its more to a personal choice but i still welcome some opinions from the experts here for some reference. Recently my treasurer has approved me to buy a new camera to replace my current sony pns camera. My new camera will be used more for taking family potraits and photos of my 2 sons and some occasional travel trips. It will be my main camera and my lady will be using it too.

DSLR
More inclined towards nikon D7000 or canon 60D.
Pros which i know:Well-rounded, better suited for taking action shots, night shots, more selection of lens
Cons: Heavier

Nex system
More inclined towards Nex-5N or Nex-7
Pros which i know:Big sensor almost the same as DSLR, lighter, new technology that will be a new force in the industry
Cons: Not very good at action shots, less lens selection

m4/3 system
More inclined to EP3
Pros: Light, Shots taken for normal photos for print (4R) is as good as the above 2 sys, more selection of lens than Nex
Cons: Not vey good at action shots, still less selection than DSLR,

I am sure the pros and cons are not all there and what i listed may be wrong, if it is feel free to correct me. So i would like to see which system would other people choose in this situation. i would like to say a word of thanks first for whoever leave a opinion.

DSLR

not just heavier... but bulkier and take up much more spaces in your bag if you want to bring one for your trips

And if looking at DLSR, don't forget to look to other brands offering such as Pentax's K-5. Also take a look at Sony's A65 and A77.

Nex system

It had the same sized sensor as APS-C size DSLR camera.

Actually NEX-7 is very good with action shots, with huge framerates. As for your less lens selection, well, adding an adapter, and you can use the alpha mount lenses that will drastically increase the number of lens available.

m4/3 system

It had smaller sensor as compared to the two other category of camera that you have listed, although noise control is excellent with the range of m4/3 camera at high ISO (namely Panasonic, G3 and GX1, theoretically speaking, it still don't fare as well as DSLR and NEX system. But yes, it is small and had light. I have a EPL1, and I loved it.

Do looked into the G3 and GX1, as well as the upcoming OM-5.

Ijnek, brapodam: I think size is important, my lady would properly be turn off if I ask her to carry a dslr. Ha ha.
Parka: but if in the future maybe 2 yes time, my sons are into some fast moving sports, would the nex and m4/3 be sufficient?
pinholecam/rhino123: I be sure to look into those camera suggestions that u all mention.

Ijnek, brapodam: I think size is important, my lady would properly be turn off if I ask her to carry a dslr. Ha ha.
Parka: but if in the future maybe 2 yes time, my sons are into some fast moving sports, would the nex and m4/3 be sufficient?
pinholecam/rhino123: I be sure to look into those camera suggestions that u all mention.

I believe the Nex 7 would be sufficient for high speed sport... but you might need an adapter so as to allow the Nex 7 to mount alpha-mount lens for longer reaches (telelens).

My advise would be to look to DSLT cameras such as the A65 and A77 which are very very fast and having a very fast framerate which is good for high speed sports, not to mention they are smaller than alot of DSLR, lighter and for the functions, they are cheaper too.

You can ask your lady to try and see what she is comfortable with. Different people have different tolerance level when it comes to size/weight. There are ladies who shoot 1D Mk4 and 70-200 and they are comfortable with it, and there are some who can't even take m4/3.

no use getting the best if both of you hate to carry it around. So go for a system where the two of you find comfortable holding it so the chance of using is is higher.

The new OM-D seems high price but i think in terms of size and performance(not much review now, so keep an open mind on this), it strikes a nice balance.

anhyeuem: Ha ha, for me its still ok, but not for my mrs.

I don't think i be upgrading my kit lens anytime soon. So for these systems, are their kit lens good to go, er i mean a good start?

anhyeuem: Ha ha, for me its still ok, but not for my mrs.

I don't think i be upgrading my kit lens anytime soon. So for these systems, are their kit lens good to go, er i mean a good start?
Yes generally they give you a good start as they give a rather flexible range of focal lengths, from wide to short tele. Some people swear by primes even when learning photography, because it trains their eyes to get used to the framing and perspective of the focal length. They think that with a zoom lens, you tend to get lazy and just zoom. This may be true, but IMO even if you want to use a prime, you still should have the kit lens because there are times when you can't just "zoom with your legs" (in fact there is no such thing as zooming with your legs; it will give you a similar framing but different perspective)

Last edited:
bring her go orchard for a walk...
she might spot ppl wearin dslr as fashion acessories and catch the trend...lol

if u r not in a rush to get a cam now, wait for the olympus om-d.

for sports, if outdoor, the bright sunlight will allow u to use a fast shutter to catch the frame, so u wan to look at the Frame per sec....generally the higher the better

Last edited:
bring her go orchard for a walk...
she might spot ppl wearin dslr as fashion acessories and catch the trend...lol

if u r not in a rush to get a cam now, wait for the olympus om-d.

for sports, if outdoor, the bright sunlight will allow u to use a fast shutter to catch the frame, so u wan to look at the Frame per sec....generally the higher the better

Yeah.
Best is to use one at 30fps
You'll need to switch to that "camera with 2 rolls on top icon" to do it. :D :D
lol, jokes aside, 3-5fps is generally enough.

30fps......get video cam...

but seriously, any1 notice tat dslr is like ...becomin a fashion accessories....lol
mayb cos my office is at orchard area, so when i go out for lunch, i notice this trend...

Hmm, I take a look at the various specs but seriously nowadays it seem like everywhere u go, there is a sale, epic fashion statement. Ha ha..

I mean dslr.

If you are looking to shoot kids, I suggest getting a camera with following characteristics:
- fast shooting rate
- fast auto focus and able to follow kids movement

For the above points alone, I suggest getting the NEX series.
Not only it has the fastest shooting rate (10fps if I am not mistaken) for its class it is also more affordable than the high end m4/3 cameras.

It should be enough for your use, DSLR would be too much.

----------------------------------------------------
Matt Mulyadi - Photoblog -

Status
Not open for further replies.