M S Color - very bad experience / bad sales tactics

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Very bad experience with MS Color today. Last Friday got e-quote from M S Color (Forence), Sony RX100 - $885 free 16g card. So today went to the AMK main shop, showed them the e-quote, then the sales guys looked at each other making some kind of funny eye signals, then said no stock, but wait a minute, there may have 1 last set, OK then I asked to buy. Then someone came out and said the last set is at the AMK hub branch, asked me to walk there look for Willie. OK, I can walk, so walked over to AMK hub branch. Asked for Willie, then the sales guy said no stock already, made some funny jokes, and asked "CAN YOU PAY NOW THEN WHEN STOCK ARRIVE I CALL YOU". I immediately walked away, this is the kind of sales tactics normally used by Sim Lim shops and Far East shops, but I did not anticipate M S Color has to degraded themselves to this kind of sales tactics. What a shame, shame, shame to MSC.

I bought most of my items there (Digital/video cameras, VG-10, 5DM3, BG-E11, 600EX-RT, lens, bags, tripod, card, batteries, flashes, filters and many other items) at MS Color.

Why I want to list out the items I bought from them? Because I want to show I find it reliable to buy from them, even expensive items.

They are all friendly and helpful to me especially Jackson, Guan Ting (former staff).

Even the shop's boss Mr Loh (eldest son i guessed) was also very helpful.

Not to mention the Old Mr Loh (their father), he was very sincere. Whenever he saw me, he would smiled to me first before I smile to him. Imagine an over 80 years old man smiled at you first.

Just for you, I called up Florence. She said that due to the sony days promo, there was a flood of people going for rx100 and they are awaiting re-stock from Sony. "Sls sales tactics" indeed....

The guys at the main shop actually TOLD me that he checked the AMK hub branch and there got 1 set, asked me to go over and pick it up. I practically ran there within 5 minutes, then those guys at AMK hub said no stock but asked me pay first if got stock then call me. This took me by shock, as it seems like the bad sales tactic that Simlim or Far East shops do to unaware tourists. Dishonesty is evil, we all know.

I bought many cameras and lenses so I sure know when someone try to cheat. But I do not expect MSColor to cheat but today they showed me they can too. There were no customer in the shop when I was there. So it cannot be busy or overlook or etc. Let buyer be aware. As for me, I surely will not step in MS Color again, there are more honest shops elsewhere.

Very bad experience with MS Color today. Last Friday got e-quote from M S Color (Forence), Sony RX100 - $885 free 16g card. So today went to the AMK main shop, showed them the e-quote, then the sales guys looked at each other making some kind of funny eye signals, then said no stock, but wait a minute, there may have 1 last set, OK then I asked to buy. Then someone came out and said the last set is at the AMK hub branch, asked me to walk there look for Willie. OK, I can walk, so walked over to AMK hub branch. Asked for Willie, then the sales guy said no stock already, made some funny jokes, and asked "CAN YOU PAY NOW THEN WHEN STOCK ARRIVE I CALL YOU". I immediately walked away, this is the kind of sales tactics normally used by Sim Lim shops and Far East shops, but I did not anticipate M S Color has to degraded themselves to this kind of sales tactics. What a shame, shame, shame to MSC.

how about feedback to them via email/facebook ? https://www.facebook.com/mscolorservice

I don't see any issue with a deposit if properly handled. But I also understand that due to cases of mishandling the trust in such a transaction is quite low.
Send an email to Florence - but I suggest you skip all your interpretations of 'funny eyes' and whatnot. Stick to the facts. 'No stock' should be clearly communicated.

Posted but was deleted by them, so I think they dont like feedback.
Would you like your style of feedback on your own website where all your customers (potential and existing) can see the complaining of a single guy, comparing your shop with some shady shops of a well-known tourist rip-off place? It's their website, they have the right to remove any posting they don't like. Instead of broadcasting your problem (a single case!) into the world try to get a personal contact to the shop and clarify things this way.

Did you ask them to reserve? If not, I won't go so far as to say that they are really trying to pull a fast one..

For example, I was helping someone buy a Maha charger, called to check the price, and went down to the shop, they didn't have it. They kindly offered to put together a battery/charger package (minimal discount, but better than nothing) - I can pay for the batteries first, and collect the charger and pay for it later on.

In any case, I'm not a fan of MS Colour, the staff that I encountered before didn't know their stuff and spent 15 minutes finding out amongst themselves what exactly I wanted (I just wanted a tripod screw adaptor 3/8" to 1/4" if they had it), but I don't feel that they are dishonest.

Try to take things easy, cheers!

Last edited:
Got an e quote does not mean HAVE STOCK. it is an e quote, not a confirmation that there is stock. How is that bad sales tactic? They ask u pay first never FORCE you to pay first.

They never quote you one price then jack up the price to add in GST etc, so how is that Sim Lim sales tactic?

I can normally can reserve items from them even without deposit via phone call. I did reserved previously DP2m, DP1m and XE1 without deposit. And I normally talked to Willie without any issue. Maybe RX100 is really a hot item reason why they ask for deposit.

Octarine said:
Would you like your style of feedback on your own website where all your customers (potential and existing) can see the complaining of a single guy, comparing your shop with some shady shops of a well-known tourist rip-off place? It's their website, they have the right to remove any posting they don't like. Instead of broadcasting your problem (a single case!) into the world try to get a personal contact to the shop and clarify things this way.

Sure it's their page but I think it's smarter not to delete posts, no matter what gets posted. I would rather reply in a diplomatic fashion and try to resolve the issue. Everything else always leaves a bad taste once posts like here appear on the web.

PhotoBees said:
I can normally can reserve items from them even without deposit via phone call. I did reserved previously DP2m, DP1m and XE1 without deposit. And I normally talked to Willie without any issue. Maybe RX100 is really a hot item reason why they ask for deposit.

That is the case when it's an item they stock and ordered anyway. If it's about an item they usually don't stock they will usually ask you for an deposit.

Last edited:
Please lah, you say they delete the post. Everyone who has seen their facebook page has seen your complaint there. Dont anyhow make accusations just cuz you're pissed. Jeez. And thing is, they HAVE replied to you.

Er... dude, if you are Allan Szeto, then... yes, MScolor had replied you on their website. They never delete your complain... in addition, they even go so far as to give you a free case and screen protector with your purchase of the RX100... and all you have to do is to give them your contact number so they can contact you when the stock arrive.

Chill man, you might have missed the post.

Er... dude, if you are Allan Szeto, then... yes, MScolor had replied you on their website. They never delete your complain... in addition, they even go so far as to give you a free case and screen protector with your purchase of the RX100... and all you have to do is to give them your contact number so they can contact you when the stock arrive.

should be him from the explanation MS color provided.

There is always 2 sides to the story, so far what we have been hearing is from you, we are not given the benefit of knowing the full story. Also your explanation seems a bit fishy.. i would definitely give some discount to your story .. just my 2cts.. ( no discounts here )

If that's the case I don't understand the noise he made...

Check price means got stock? Why didn't u check which outlets have stocks in the first place? No stock means bad service?

This is MS Color's reply; kudos to them for the excellent follow up. It is something most camera stores should learn from.

Hi Allan, we are very sorry for your bad experience with us. Please allow us to provide you an explanation.

Yesterday we had a customer who reserved an RX100 with us. As the shop was quite busy at the time, there was a miscommunication between the salesperson who engaged you and the amk hub branch side. We are terribly sorry that we caused you the trouble to travel between the two shops.

Also, the reason we are encouraging the full payment of the camera is because the Sony GST Absorption Promotion ends on the 28th November 2012. Please do not get us wrong as we are more than happy to have our customers take advantage of this promotion.

We have relayed this issue to our boss. And he would like to apologize on the behalf of the salesperson and the shop as well. As a sign of goodwill, we will include a sony case as well as a screen protector with your RX100.

Will it be okay if we have your contact number? We will contact you the as soon as the stocks arrives.

Regards,
M S Color

Check price means got stock? Why didn't u check which outlets have stocks in the first place? No stock means bad service?

He just got the e-quote and expected it would be in stock by the time he arrives at the store. Anyway, an e-quote in Singapore never means the item is actually in stock. You have to check the stock status explicitly.

Last edited: