LX5 System Error (Zoom)

icarus

Jan 27, 2002
East
Just encountered this error... lens barrel cannot retract. Anyone seen this error before?

Just encountered this error... lens barrel cannot retract. Anyone seen this error before?

Once I switched mode from IA to mycolor and the zoom freezed and refuse to budge. I have to switch back to IA zoomed and then switch to mycolor mode to snap my pics.

Back home I investigated the "problem" and I found out that mycolor mode was selected but not "set", pressing the "set" button solved the "problem.

It is strange but if you have powered off before switching modes the problem would not have arised???

Once I switched mode from IA to mycolor and the zoom freezed and refuse to budge. I have to switch back to IA zoomed and then switch to mycolor mode to snap my pics.

Back home I investigated the "problem" and I found out that mycolor mode was selected but not "set", pressing the "set" button solved the "problem.

It is strange but if you have powered off before switching modes the problem would not have arised???

Hmm i was in Video mode using the zoom when the camera throws a 'Please switch off and turn back on' message. After i done that, the camera goes into a black screen with "System Error (Zoom)"

Hmm i was in Video mode using the zoom when the camera throws a 'Please switch off and turn back on' message. After i done that, the camera goes into a black screen with "System Error (Zoom)"

If you're having zoom problems during video mode then is most probably(I'm speculating here) that you have izoom set to on while using video(read somewhere this setting does caused problems to some)

I've never used this izoom feature so I've never experienced this problem. Hope this helps and hope they update the firmware soon.

Sent mine back to Panny for repairing. No news after 5 days... Will be travelling for 1 month and looks like i will go without a compact camera this time. :(
:thumbsd::thumbsd:

Just 3 weeks ago i sent my old Fz18 in to panny for servicing.. glass panel protecting the lcd was cracked.. it took them one week to get back to me on the repair costs, but it took only 24 hrs to repair... so.. is panny's service good or bad? :dunno:

I encountered a similar error while using the quick video button with optical zooming, no iZoom enabled. After taking a long video, approx 20mins, with lots of zooming in and out, the camera cannot be powered off. The LCD screen will turn black but with backlight still on and the green SD read LED is on. I manually took out the battery with the lens barrel still protruding, changed to Aperture mode and re-insert the battery to power on. Camera returned to normal :)

I encountered a similar error while using the quick video button with optical zooming, no iZoom enabled. After taking a long video, approx 20mins, with lots of zooming in and out, the camera cannot be powered off. The LCD screen will turn black but with backlight still on and the green SD read LED is on. I manually took out the battery with the lens barrel still protruding, changed to Aperture mode and re-insert the battery to power on. Camera returned to normal :)

Scary scary stuff leh!

Taking out battery while camera is still switched "on" can potentially short-circuited the sensitive electronics in the camera!!!

It is terrible that panasonic has no forum where we can seek advice once this kind of problems cropped up?:thumbsd:

Will you be calling up panasonic to enquire further about the problem? If so do update us.

Thanks.

Just came back overseas and collected my LX-5. Terrible customer service. I found out on the service form that the camera was fixed (1 hour job) and ready for collection - days before i went on my 1 month trip! BUT NO ONE CALLED ME BEFORE I WENT ON MY TRIP.

This is the last time i am buying a Panasonic. Ridiculous manufacturing defects and even worse customer service. :thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd::thumbsd:

Scary scary stuff leh!

Taking out battery while camera is still switched "on" can potentially short-circuited the sensitive electronics in the camera!!!

It is terrible that panasonic has no forum where we can seek advice once this kind of problems cropped up?:thumbsd:

Will you be calling up panasonic to enquire further about the problem? If so do update us.

Thanks.

Don't waste your time... they say my case was the first in the world and they have not seen this error before... They have no idea why the problem happened.

Much thanks for your update.

A 1 hr repair job sounds like they took it apart and found nothing wrong, put it back together and it worked... some mechanical misalignment that's all... how the problem arises remained a mystery...

So the next time should a similar problem arises and the warranty had expired, it pays to send it to a third party repair place for an evaluation if panasonic quotes a high repair job estimate!!!

At worse case scenario if camera is so called condemned(beyond economic repair) might as well try a DIY to see maybe it is only a misalignment etc...

Again thanks for your sharing of info. :)

Don't waste your time... they say my case was the first in the world and they have not seen this error before... They have no idea why the problem happened.