LX5 or GF2. Which to get? Any advise.

je7170

Jan 6, 2011
Thinking of getting either of this camera.

Would appreciate if someone can advise whcih is better.

Thanks.

GF2 is better than LX5 :)

GF2 is better than LX5 :)

I asked this question recently and this reply is NOT a good answer because it is too simplistic. The answer depends on what one really needs.
For me, after much thought, the LX5 is better -for me- because:
(1) it is small and I want to bring my camera with me all the time,
(2) I dont need inter-changeable lens,
(3) the price of the GF2 is higher than an entry-level proper SLR
(4) the higher quality of picture in the GF2 would be negligible for my standard of photography skills.

I repeat, my choice and opinion is entirely mine due to my needs and circumstances. :)

well, all has different opinions and needs as well.. Up to them to decide .. To me, GF2 is wonderful ..

Will this be your primary camera? If it is, I'd suggest gf2 for image quality.
If it is second camera, then maybe u will value portability and go for lx5

Each camera has its own usage to offer; mobility, image quality, weight and size, useful functions, etc... It is for user to chose the type of camera suitable that fits and satisfies requirements. The user therefore has more than one camera to match all circumstances.

Ask
1) What do i need it for?
2) What functions do i need?
3) convenience sake

Test it out at the shops

The likes are different, it really depends on your own needs.

TS asked which is better.

Answers from some, LX5 is better... blah blah blah (justifications)

Answers from others, GF2 is better... blah blah blah (justifications)

Some fight others... blah blah blah...

TS missing...:think:

Hi All,

Thanks for the advise.

After much consideration, comparison and advise from the camera shop sales, I settle for LX5.

Regs.

Great choice!

(4) the higher quality of picture in the GF2 would be negligible for my standard of photography skills.

I repeat, my choice and opinion is entirely mine due to my needs and circumstances. :)

This is a misconception. Even if you put both cameras in iA mode and just shoot something simple in the house, like a pot on the stove, if you look at the images from both cameras, you WILL see difference i IQ.

So even if you are a total beginner and shoot in iA mode all the time. There IS a difference.
I think the point that is more relevant for LX5 v GF2 is whether you want/intend to change lenses. If NO, then get a LX5. Thats the whole point for the m4/3 mirrorless interchangable lens cameras (MILCs). If you dont change lens, save the money and get the best compact P&S you can. i.e. Oly XZ-1/panny Lx5/canon S95

in terms of image quality, flexibility (interchangeable lenses, adapters, or compact lenses) and headroom for your photography skills (more control), i'd recommend the GF2.

SIZE is not really an issue between the 2. The LX5 is NOT pocketable, same as the GF2. You'll need a jacket pocket for either one.

If you have the SGD 300 to spare, go for the GF2. You won't regret it.

...The LX5 is NOT pocketable, same as the GF2. You'll need a jacket pocket for either one.

I beg to differ on this.

I am able to pocket my D-Lux 5 in my trouser pocket, jeans pocket, shorts pocket. And drive with the thing pocketed.

That becomes a different story with the EVF attached.

just curious does gf2 have a variety of lenses tat it can change?

GF2 only S$300, where can i buy at that price??? :eek:

or u meant to say 300 more?

in terms of image quality, flexibility (interchangeable lenses, adapters, or compact lenses) and headroom for your photography skills (more control), i'd recommend the GF2.

SIZE is not really an issue between the 2. The LX5 is NOT pocketable, same as the GF2. You'll need a jacket pocket for either one.

If you have the SGD 300 to spare, go for the GF2. You won't regret it.

just curious does gf2 have a variety of lenses tat it can change?

Go to stores like Alan Photo, the lens display corner should be up together (hopefully) with GF2 being showcased as well :)

just to add, I got one at Harvey Norman warehouse sale, 669 with 5% addition discount which is 635.55 sgd, believe it is a fair price.

I saw the Gf2 double lens kit on sale, too. 1299 with 5% discount + 100 takashimaya voucher

You must have really big pockets :D

The only pocketable camera that I managed to get with comparable image quality was the S95, due to its slim profile. Even on tight jeans, it's just like having a cellphone in your pocket. The LX5 can be pocketed, but it's a struggle to put it in and take it out.

I beg to differ on this.

I am able to pocket my D-Lux 5 in my trouser pocket, jeans pocket, shorts pocket. And drive with the thing pocketed.

That becomes a different story with the EVF attached.

You must have really big pockets :D

The only pocketable camera that I managed to get with comparable image quality was the S95, due to its slim profile. Even on tight jeans, it's just like having a cellphone in your pocket. The LX5 can be pocketed, but it's a struggle to put it in and take it out.

Ah... Your qualification.

I don't have bigger pockets than most. I just like comfortable and pants that don't squeeze anything for the sake of fashion.

I've got a strap to pull the thing out so that helps. ;)

I used to carry my mobile on waist. In recent times, in my pocket, along with my LX5-pretender (sometimes). I must be getting on in age. :bsmilie: