LX5 - Availability in Singapore & elsewhere

Anyone else have any current info about LX5 availability in Singapore? I just got off the phone with my favorite camera gear shop and was informed that the local Panasonic agent has still not divulged the date when he will supply the LX5 to local shops here in Singapore.

The shop that I often patronise told me its this week...

Is the LX5 the same size as LX3?

I face the opposite problem... I also value portability but not at the expense of image quality and useful features. Funny thing is all the current so called pocketable cameras have either lousy image quality at mid ISOs, weak flashes, slow to recharge flashes, no manual controls, lousy screens, etc. Only one camera gives all of these (plus some more) and that's the Panasonic LX5. I love my LX3 for this reason even after owning scores of other big and small cameras (including cell phones with high resolution cameras.)

The Samsung EX1 seems to be the only competitor but falls short on HD video which it lacks. The Panasonic LX3 offers absolutely stunning HD video (even in low light.) The LX5 offers even many more useful features!

Last edited:
Just wondering, what kind of price range will it be? $700 to $750?

$699 without freebies from my trusted source. You can expect to pay more for freebies thrown in by the importing agent or show owner.

Just ignore the high MRP. The price of the LX5 will fall fast. There will be no repeat of previous LX3 times because there is already a lot of competition forthcoming soon... Canon just announced their S95 today. Panasonic will themselves be announcing the GF2 soon. And Olympus is expected to announced cheaper versions of their PEN compacts. Pentax may also have an EVIL up its sleeve. So will Nikon and Canon sometime late this year or early next year. God help the market if Sony announces a NEX model with manual controls with a 4x zoom pancake kit lens. Samsung may announce the EX2 sooner than later. And I haven't even mentioned Ricoh and Fujifilm.

The other side of the story is the addition of the new back illuminated sensors to be incorporated in many of next years offerings. Don't be surprised in the LX6 is announced just a year later henceforth.

As you can see from the above, these products will nip at the LX5's market share bit by bit and Panasonic can only respond with either a price cut (effective solution) or adding in more useful features (via firmware upgrades) once the LX5 hits the shelves worldwide.

Last edited:
$699 seems reasonable, but when will the price drop happen?

Do you folks remember the huge backlash that Apple got when it does a price drop just a few months after it announced its iPhone 2g? It is highly unlikely a corporation will announce an actual listed price and drop it very soon. Thinking in terms of projected sales, it only makes sense if a company takes into account of the different market segments it is trying to reach out to, and peg it versus competitors and cost.

Actually like Ortega has mentioned, the listed price and the dealer price is not the same. Different dealers have different prices, and thats why consumers who do their research (here, ha) will probably find the best deal. Places like Courts and Harvey Norman usually sells at listed price, and even super inflated price with their hire purchase program.

So, my 2 cents, don't be offended, answering your question, when will price drop? Ha, why don't you tell me the 4d number for tomorrow? ;)

Do you folks remember the huge backlash that Apple got when it does a price drop just a few months after it announced its iPhone 2g? It is highly unlikely a corporation will announce an actual listed price and drop it very soon. Thinking in terms of projected sales, it only makes sense if a company takes into account of the different market segments it is trying to reach out to, and peg it versus competitors and cost.

Actually like Ortega has mentioned, the listed price and the dealer price is not the same. Different dealers have different prices, and thats why consumers who do their research (here, ha) will probably find the best deal. Places like Courts and Harvey Norman usually sells at listed price, and even super inflated price with their hire purchase program.

So, my 2 cents, don't be offended, answering your question, when will price drop? Ha, why don't you tell me the 4d number for tomorrow? ;)

Haha, no worries about being offended. Although I didn't really catch up on the news about the price drop announced by Apple, you brought up a valid point. I am only asking this because I am making a trip next month so am considering this cam. :sweat:

Both public reputation and dealer reputation are important to corporations.

Panasonic cannot let their products idle on their dealers' shelves and inventories... and if they lower their price either pre-launch or soon after launch, then the public will have more reason to rejoice than complain!

By the way, as I speak, the price of the LX5 has dropped from $499 to $469 on opening day in Canada! That's a steep price reduction against listed price on the very first day of launch, don't you agree?!!!! :)

Both public reputation and dealer reputation are important to corporations.

Panasonic cannot let their products idle on their dealers' shelves and inventories... and if they lower their price either pre-launch or soon after launch, then the public will have more reason to rejoice than complain!

By the way, as I speak, the price of the LX5 has dropped from $499 to $469 on opening day in Canada! That's a steep price reduction against listed price on the very first day of launch, don't you agree?!!!! :)

Dealer price right? Listed price is still $499 on Canada site. Thanks for pointing that out though, food for thought :)

The lowering of price during pre-launch makes sense, but soon after launch doesn't. 2 sides of the pie - one group very happy, one group very upset - and the upset folks are the ones going to make noise, creating a huge PR disaster as a result trying to pacify the early adopters.

Anyways, we're deviating from the topic (availability in sg & elsewhere). Price discussion can be done in another topic I guess?

hmmm LX5 launch price got rumours is at $799 saying its confirmed.

But all stores sell at different prices..

E.g: LX3 list price $749

Dealer price range: $630 to $680

Hopefully: LX5 List price $799

Dealer price: $680 to $720?