LX3 - does it make sense to buy one now?

daniel0ng

Jul 23, 2008
Upper Bukit Timah
I'm looking to buy a compact camera with a bright 24mm end and the LX3 really fits the bill. It will be replacing a spoiling Panasonic FX-something that has a really screwy shutter button :bsmilie:

The only problem is that this is quite old (by digital standards), and I expect a LX4/5 to come up pretty soon.

Would you buy an LX3 now if you wanted one? I would like to hear your thoughts!

Why don't you buy the Samsung EX1, which is touted as "LX3 killer" and only released early this year?

I did seriously consider that, but the weight will not be suitable for my Dad who likes to put the camera in his pocket.

If I were buying it for myself, I wouldn't mind the EX1 though :bsmilie:

Why don't you buy the Samsung EX1, which is touted as "LX3 killer" and only released early this year?

Depends on your need and usage.
If for your dad - you need pro-sumer type or normal P&S will do?
You need your replacement camera NOW urgently?
Like previous threads, we don't know when LX4 not to mentioned before LX5 will be out.
So its really easy to firm down with an answer.

I thought of waiting for LX4 to come out so that LX3 will drop price then i buy LX3 haha
that was like FEB 2010 ...

now still sama sama leh ....

rumors of LX4 was out last yr already ...

So .. still narrow down your priorities maybe u can decide?

He requires the 24mm, so that's quite fixed.
I was looking at prosumer cameras like the LX3 since I could use it when he's not looking... :bsmilie: But in all honesty, he takes photos very often, and often in low light so I didn't want small 1/2.33" sensors and f/3.3 lenses that pop up on every other P&S.

I meant the LX4/5 because the Japanese has this thing about the number 4, which is linked to death (IIRC). That's why the new Olympus E-x should be E-5 instead of E-4, but I digress.

I just don't want to buy a LX3 and out comes the new model.
Murphy's Law does has its way of showing up when you least want it to :bsmilie:

Depends on your need and usage.
If for your dad - you need pro-sumer type or normal P&S will do?
You need your replacement camera NOW urgently?
Like previous threads, we don't know when LX4 not to mentioned before LX5 will be out.
So its really easy to firm down with an answer.

I thought of waiting for LX4 to come out so that LX3 will drop price then i buy LX3 haha
that was like FEB 2010 ...

now still sama sama leh ....

rumors of LX4 was out last yr already ...

So .. still narrow down your priorities maybe u can decide?

He requires the 24mm, so that's quite fixed.
I was looking at prosumer cameras like the LX3 since I could use it when he's not looking... :bsmilie: But in all honesty, he takes photos very often, and often in low light so I didn't want small 1/2.33" sensors and f/3.3 lenses that pop up on every other P&S.

I meant the LX4/5 because the Japanese has this thing about the number 4, which is linked to death (IIRC). That's why the new Olympus E-x should be E-5 instead of E-4, but I digress.

I just don't want to buy a LX3 and out comes the new model.
Murphy's Law does has its way of showing up when you least want it to :bsmilie:

OIC ...
Hmm then how?
ask you dad to tahan till LX4/5 come out?

get the lx3....it's for u're dad, i'm sure he'll be happy....

I did seriously consider that, but the weight will not be suitable for my Dad who likes to put the camera in his pocket.

If I were buying it for myself, I wouldn't mind the EX1 though :bsmilie:

In that case, I would suggest you to consider the Canon S90. It's definitely more pocketable than the LX3

for the price of $600 ++ for a new set and consider it a 2 year old model. its best to hold the horses. News for Lx4 should be out around Aug time. Wait for that time. If can't wait but still want Lx3, go BnS and get a 2nd hand if you don't mind a 'use' set. S90 seem a nice cam but if you considering Samsung Ex1, I suggest you go and feel, do some test shoots and view from PC .. then you decided want to get it or not.

The Truth is ... Wait for Lx4 .. :p

Look at the Lumix owner tread you see many getting LX 3.

Rumours seem to be going on for ages.......

Even if the LX4/5 is out tomorrow, will you be getting it straight away?

It'll take time to come to your shore, a month or two. Then there's the price, will it be within your budget?

Last, the most important, can the successor be better than LX3?

for the price of $600 ++ for a new set and consider it a 2 year old model. its best to hold the horses. News for Lx4 should be out around Aug time. Wait for that time. If can't wait but still want Lx3, go BnS and get a 2nd hand if you don't mind a 'use' set. S90 seem a nice cam but if you considering Samsung Ex1, I suggest you go and feel, do some test shoots and view from PC .. then you decided want to get it or not.

The Truth is ... Wait for Lx4 .. :p

The camera's a present from my first pay :) Although I guess he wouldn't mind a carefully second camera, I wonder whether it's proper as a present that's all. I have a special liking to the LX series, as I bought the LX1 when it first came out and really enjoyed it.

I honestly think that the S90 may be overhyped though, the large f/2 aperture quickly drops to f/4 and beyond when the zoom is activated, which is a real turn-off. The EX-1 is the my only real alternative to the LX3 when considering "bright" options, ignoring size, weight, and handling.

But then again, the LX4 may not be as good as the LX3 spec. wise, who knows?!

Look at the Lumix owner tread you see many getting LX 3.

Rumours seem to be going on for ages.......

Even if the LX4/5 is out tomorrow, will you be getting it straight away?

It'll take time to come to your shore, a month or two. Then there's the price, will it be within your budget?

Last, the most important, can the successor be better than LX3?

Yup I may not get it right away, there's always a risk for early adopters and I've never liked the idea (and damage of the wallet :bsmilie:).

But when the LX3 successor comes out, this would definitely drive prices for LX3 - used or new, down. Wouldn't it suck to have the price of your purchase drop by a $100 or more just overnight?

In that case, I would suggest you to consider the Canon S90. It's definitely more pocketable than the LX3

Yup it is. I've used my friend's S90 on many occasions and it sure is small (esp. compared to DSLRs). However I've had problems with the ergonomics of that camera, with my right thumb turning wheels and pressing buttons that I didn't intend to. I expect my Dad to have the same problem as our hands are largely similar :bsmilie:

Yup I may not get it right away, there's always a risk for early adopters and I've never liked the idea (and damage of the wallet :bsmilie:).

But when the LX3 successor comes out, this would definitely drive prices for LX3 - used or new, down. Wouldn't it suck to have the price of your purchase drop by a $100 or more just overnight?
For all you know, the price might work the other way, knowing LX4/5 coming out, dealers might not be stocking them or manufacturer might EOL them. And there'll be fans looking for it, the price might not drop? Who knows?
What happen if the successor sucks? Then it would become a hard to find thing. What happens when another camera comes out and betters the LX4/5, regret again? This is an endless cycle.....

From 1st pay check? :thumbsup:..think if your dad will treat the present as a treasure..regardless what is it. $100~ is worth the priceless memories he'll be snapping pictures with it!

Alternately, there are other camera around.

For all you know, the price might work the other way, knowing LX4/5 coming out, dealers might not be stocking them or manufacturer might EOL them. And there'll be fans looking for it, the price might not drop? Who knows?
What happen if the successor sucks? Then it would become a hard to find thing. What happens when another camera comes out and betters the LX4/5, regret again? This is an endless cycle.....

From 1st pay check? :thumbsup:..think if your dad will treat the present as a treasure..regardless what is it. $100~ is worth the priceless memories he'll be snapping pictures with it!

Alternately, there are other camera around.

Haha if LX3 turns out to be like some Leica-like legend that grows more expensive with time... I'll be in for a ride :bsmilie: Yup it's endless when it comes to electronics, can't solve the equation with a degree of freedom hanging (engineering speak), but I guess it's a need=buy-and-don't-wait situation more than anything right?

I sure do hopes he likes it! Only afraid that he finds it too big, returns it to me (he's capable of doing such things) and buys himself another smaller camera :bigeyes: Then I'll be stuck with a DSLR and compact (which I wouldn't mind if it was a gift, but!).

Only time will tell then, guess it's time to scour the town for a good deal! Will use the other price tracking threads as a guide :) Wish me luck :)

Haha if LX3 turns out to be like some Leica-like legend that grows more expensive with time... I'll be in for a ride :bsmilie: Yup it's endless when it comes to electronics, can't solve the equation with a degree of freedom hanging (engineering speak), but I guess it's a need=buy-and-don't-wait situation more than anything right?

I sure do hopes he likes it! Only afraid that he finds it too big, returns it to me (he's capable of doing such things) and buys himself another smaller camera :bigeyes: Then I'll be stuck with a DSLR and compact (which I wouldn't mind if it was a gift, but!).

Only time will tell then, guess it's time to scour the town for a good deal! Will use the other price tracking threads as a guide :) Wish me luck :)
I'm hoping it does grow with time! Yes, need=buy ! :)

The LX3 is a "little" big to be put in your straight cut jean or pant..unless they are very loose cut.

Good luck!

Hard lah. You see how many ppl throwing lx3 in BNS compare to Leica. With samsung EX1 out now, the price of 2nd now sell as low as $450. But frankly lx3 still going strong even it's 2year old. Lol

Basically, what matter is your gift to your dad. Any camera you give to him, he will sure treasure it. But since it is your first pay, you have to get when you have your first pay (right?)
So go on, give him any camera you think your dad will like the most and within your budget.
Be it LX-3 or S90, he will sure love it.
For me, I'm holding on to my LX-3. Still a lot more to explore ;)

Buy leica X1, look and image quality sure better than LX3 :D and its compact too.

Hard lah. You see how many ppl throwing lx3 in BNS compare to Leica. With samsung EX1 out now, the price of 2nd now sell as low as $450. But frankly lx3 still going strong even it's 2year old. Lol

I for one will not buy a Leica for my Dad, don't see the point when it won't be appreciated! $450 is a good price, but I doubt many sellers will be willing to part at that price.

Basically, what matter is your gift to your dad. Any camera you give to him, he will sure treasure it. But since it is your first pay, you have to get when you have your first pay (right?)
So go on, give him any camera you think your dad will like the most and within your budget.
Be it LX-3 or S90, he will sure love it.
For me, I'm holding on to my LX-3. Still a lot more to explore ;)

Yup, which means I have to get it soon :bsmilie:

Glad to hear that you're spending quality time with your LX3!

Buy leica X1, look and image quality sure better than LX3 :D and its compact too.

Would you spend S$4k on the Leica if you were in my shoes? :dunno:

you just post "want to buy" you never know who will reply you. There is always a saying, sell when its still got value, if not use it till it break down. So knowing how SG ppl think, even at $450, its still money .. better then letting it go to waste or further drop of price. :p